xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Backwards Compatibility Update Coming Soon  (Read 261 times)

lowendfrequency

• Archived User
Backwards Compatibility Update Coming Soon
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2006, 07:41:00 AM »

I wants me some RalliSport Challenge 2, and I wants it now.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2006, 08:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(EBear @ Jun 2 2006, 03:19 AM) View Post

(unrelated rant)
I'm starting to hate my 360. . . I just figured out that unless you are signed into Xbox Live you can't play any of the Xbox Live Arcade games that you have purchased. What a joke. Might as well just stick to the free ones emulated on the OG Xbox.

not true whatsoever, ive been playing geo wars all summer with no internet, you cant play unless you are signed in, thats it.

and as far as emulation is concerned, I have an xbox and the majority of people that own a 360 do as well, get over it and go buy a video switch if you really want to play all the xbox titles. Id rather the BC team be working on bigger and better updates then getting games working that many will never play.

Sonrics

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 08:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(medievil @ Jun 2 2006, 07:42 AM) View Post

Thats not the point, but some may have. After all, M$ first said they would have 100% compatibility out of the box, then when it came out, peop;le found out it was more like 2% compatibility, with the promise of further updates.

and when did MS they will give us 100% BC????... do you have any referral to what you are spewing??..
and if you do the math, 200+ games BC / total games for xbox , it is close to 20%..... you missed a "0" on your porcentage... cool.gif

rasstar

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006, 08:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(medievil @ Jun 2 2006, 03:19 PM) View Post

When 360 was first announced at E3, it was also announced they'd have 100% BC. The BC List, if you can really call 12 games a list, was released a couple months prior to the 360's official release

As to your analogy, Snes never claimed to play Nes, nor did N64.
 Also, about the BC, There are a hell of lot more people who ARE interested in the BC than you claim, It is easily verifiable by looking at various forums. People are not happy...there are a lot of reasons people Want BC. #1 being, they don't have the space for a 360 AND an xbox.
Besides, M$ (J. Allard AND Peter Moore both made the statement)  promised as close to 100% BC as possible, now they are dropping it wishing they had never said anything. They made the claim, because they wanted to sell consoles, they NEVER had any intention of following through on it...

What do you mean they don't have the space? I don't know the exact measurements of the xbox but I cannot see how someone might not have the space to fit it unless they live in a cardboard box. Plus the xbox has so many features so I don't see why anyone will get rid of it.

I couldn't care less what they said because BC never interested me from the beginning. You came to the conclusion fromr reading forums that many are interested in BC? I know for a fact that many 360 owners could care less about playing BC games but that's just my opnionion.

lostboyz

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006, 08:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(medievil @ Jun 2 2006, 08:19 AM) View Post

When 360 was first announced at E3, it was also announced they'd have 100% BC. The BC List, if you can really call 12 games a list, was released a couple months prior to the 360's official release

As to your analogy, Snes never claimed to play Nes, nor did N64.
 Also, about the BC, There are a hell of lot more people who ARE interested in the BC than you claim, It is easily verifiable by looking at various forums. People are not happy...there are a lot of reasons people Want BC. #1 being, they don't have the space for a 360 AND an xbox.
Besides, M$ (J. Allard AND Peter Moore both made the statement)  promised as close to 100% BC as possible, now they are dropping it wishing they had never said anything. They made the claim, because they wanted to sell consoles, they NEVER had any intention of following through on it...

the only people you see on forums are those that want to bitch nobody is going to come up and say "I am completely satisfied with Backwards Compatibility, and I don't care if they come out with any more updates, discuss" Only those that bitch, and theres a lot of people here bitching that dont even own a 360, so its really just a topic of bitching, thats it.

Neoistheone2000

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2006, 08:51:00 AM »

cant we all just get along?  rolleyes.gif

pdottz

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006, 08:54:00 AM »

so what happens when our xboxs finally die on us? i have my xbox and my xbox 360.
i would like to have BC for the when my xbox no longer works. i don't know about everywhere else, but around here NO stores are carrying xbox consoles anymore or reordering stock.
when my xbox finally dies, what am i supposed to do with all my games?

when my old big grey psx box finally died, i was happy that my ps2 was BC.

SNES/NES/N64 never promised BC, but those also are still going strong. i still have my old SNES:KI bundle, and my '85 nes still working. aside from the dead battery in ZELDA for NES, the systems are in very good condition.
this cannot be said of newer consoles that have more moving parts that are prone to failuer (cd lens, fans, etc all with motors that WILL one day die).

i don't think people would be this upset if M$ hadn't said anything about BC, but the sad truth is they promised us something and are now giving up on it.

downlowfunk

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »

Quick Question.

Who in the hell asked for Barbie Horse Adventures???

as for a request uhm... uh...   Dont know really cant stand any of my XBOX games.  I like Red Dead, that should be on there, if it's not.   Oh and XBMC, and all the homebrew Emulators.   oops uh...  oh wait those arent MS certified -doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MUWAHAHAHAHAHAHA    jester.gif

RiotShift

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2006, 09:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(RogueStorm @ Jun 4 2006, 10:34 AM) View Post

This is exactly right.  I'm willing to bet that Barbie Horse Adventures and games like it were developed 100% within the confines of the Xbox dev kit, with no custom code or instuctions whatsoever.  Think of it like building a web page in Dreamweaver or something.  Dreamweaver is going to make sure that whatever code is generated will work on every major web browser without issue.  The game can't be that hard to make, hell, I'm willing to bet that it was mostly drag and drop and a mouse driven development enviornment versus straight up hammering out instruction code for the CPU and GPU.  Those games which adhere closest to the Xbox dev kit confines are probably the easiest to emulate.  That's just common sense.
Quote from RogueStorm at age 6:

"...I've made it a goal to be an astronaut."

Oh shit!  Now I HAVE TO BECOME AN ASTRONAUT, 100%!!!!  Damn, I better get to it.  Someone have an enema kit so I can clean out my system in preparation for my training.

LMAO!!!

Devedander

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2006, 04:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(felixm477 @ Jun 4 2006, 02:56 AM) View Post

i agree u notice all these programmers with little to no data on the workings of conoles and they end up making functional and almost perfect emulators. now u mean to tell me that the actual makers of the xbox cant creat a fully emulated xbox on a system 80x the power? they should stop trying to emulate it game by game, and just work on emulating every chip and processor atleast 99% and it should work with every game.

Yes it is that hard.

First off those who make emulators for things like Nintendos and such have reverse engineered teh processors in them to get the info they need.  Also most of the well emulated systems did not rely on special hardware, everything was done in a jack of all trades cpu.  Emulate that and a little audio hardware and most of your work was done.  

Specialized hardware is much harder to emulate.  There is a reason they make the hardware, because in hardware you are able to pull of lots of difficult and downright tricky stuff that is very hard to do in software.

Think of it like this:

Emulating an NES is kind of like translating numbers from English to Spanish (I mean spoken numbers)

Emulating the SNES is a little harder, lets say like translating the basic idea of a language (bablefish style)

Emulating an N64 is like translating from one language to another live (like you see presidential translators do, they speak at the same time they hear, it's tricky and very hard to pull off, even the best of them hit snags every now and then)

Emulating the Xbox is like live translating to one language verbally, while writing a translation to a third langauge and the conversation is about the newest cutting edge developments in theoretical quantum physics and one of the languages is latin.

It gets exponentially harder so that at some point even the raw horsepower isn't what holds it back, it's the sheer complexity of all the things that could happen, all the words that express something in one language that just don't have a word for in another language, or a term that just doens't work for one type of grammar.  

Then there is the crossplatform issue.  You can make almost any internal combustion engine fit into another car with enough cutting and welding.   But try going from internat combustion to jet engine and you got a way more complicated job on your hands.  Similar to emulating a celeron with a custom Nvidia chip on a G3 with an ATI chip.

It's not a fair analogy really, but here is the code to make a program that will print the words

Hello World!

on your screen in a few different programming languages:

Basic

CODE

10 print"Hello World!"

Assembly X86

CODE

Basic

[code]
title   Hello World Program                             (hello.asm)
; This program displays "Hello, World!"

dosseg
.model small
.stack 100h

.data
hello_message db 'Hello, World!',0dh,0ah,'$'

.code
main  proc
      mov    ax,@data
      mov    ds,ax

mov    ah,9
      mov    dx,offset hello_message
      int    21h

mov    ax,4C00h
      int    21h
main  endp
end   main

Assembly Z80

CODE
    ORG 32768
    ENT

LD IY, #5C3A
    RES 0, (IY+02)
    RES 1, (IY+01)

LD HL, HELLO
    LD A,22
    RST #10
    LD A,0
    RST #10
    LD A,0
    RST #10

LOOP    LD A,(HL)
    PUSH AF
    PUSH HL
    AND #7F
    RST #10
    POP HL
    INC HL
    POP AF
    BIT 7,A
    JR Z, LOOP

LD A,13
    RST #10
    LD HL, HELLO
    JR LOOP
    RET

HELLO   DEFM /Hello World/
    DEFB 161

CGI written in C

CODE

#include &ltstdio.h>

main ()
{
   printf ("Content-type: text/html\n");
   printf ("\n");
   printf ("&lthtml>\n");
   printf ("&lthead>\n");
   printf ("&lttitle&gtHello, world!\n");
   printf ("\n");
   printf ("\n");
   printf ("&ltbody>\n");
   printf ("&lth1&gtHello, world!\n");
   printf ("\n");
   printf ("\n");
}

Notice the significant difference between the two assembly code examples, both assembly, written for different systems.  Lots can change between operating hardware even if it all has similar functionality.

Now you can imagine that going through all these possibilities to write the words "hello world" on the screen you could do a lot of things wrong... that's just a taste of what can go wrong in the programming world.

EBear

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2006, 08:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(lostboyz @ Jun 2 2006, 03:09 PM) View Post

not true whatsoever, ive been playing geo wars all summer with no internet, you cant play unless you are signed in, thats it.
and as far as emulation is concerned, I have an xbox and the majority of people that own a 360 do as well, get over it and go buy a video switch if you really want to play all the xbox titles. Id rather the BC team be working on bigger and better updates then getting games working that many will never play.

Uh. . . no you are wrong. (someone back me up and confirm this) If you are only signed in then you can only access the trial versions. Maybe you have been playing the trial version all summer. Right now I have my 360 unplugged from the internet and it won't even display my GRAW theme that I paid for (blades for the theme show up but no images). . . WEAK. Live arcade is a joke.

rasstar

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2006, 07:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(EBear @ Jun 5 2006, 03:24 AM) View Post

Uh. . . no you are wrong. (someone back me up and confirm this) If you are only signed in then you can only access the trial versions. Maybe you have been playing the trial version all summer. Right now I have my 360 unplugged from the internet and it won't even display my GRAW theme that I paid for (blades for the theme show up but no images). . . WEAK. Live arcade is a joke.

You must sign in with your gamertag and signing on does not need an internet connection.

SilverDragon

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2006, 10:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(EBear @ Jun 5 2006, 03:24 AM) View Post

Have you had a replacement xbox?

whenever you buy anything on market place, it is signed for a) your connected live account and b ) the current xbox's serial number.

so anyone on the same xbox can use it regardless of who signed, or it can be used by anyone on any other xbox when your account is signed into live for verification at the same time on one of attached controllers. but getting a replacement box buggers up case b ).

if had a replacement xbox, go complain to support that your content is no longer signed for your new box.

EBear

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2006, 03:25:00 AM »

My god you are right, I did get my 360 replaced. I can't believe I didn't think about that!  rolleyes.gif Now I like my 360 again. M$ also sent my new 360 with a toshiba/sammy. Cha-ching! Suckers!

EugeneEW3RD

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2006, 05:56:00 PM »

Well, this is good news espically since I'm one of those people who support BC on 360. I play both 360 & XBOX games on my 360. I like how the XBOX games are scailed to High-Def.

And no, having BC on 360 will not make the system look inferior. Look at the PS2, it had BC with PS1 but it didn't make the system look inferior.
Pages: 1 2 [3]