xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Noise  (Read 259 times)

Joergen

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2006, 05:16:00 PM »

The one above is the new drive. The old tray/drive has very large triangular holes in the tray, hence Decepticon eyes (Transformers? nobody?)

The old drive had a different sound to the tray motor too, and the disc was sort of buzzing instead of hissing. This was when horizontal and compared to TWO other 360s with the new drive when horizontal.

Sorry to hear yours is loud ckw0n, ours arent. Have you tried horz position?

I'm not saying there cant noisier ones in the new drives, or some label designs that are badly offset etc. who knows.

ckw0n

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2006, 05:19:00 PM »

thank you for the clarification, kind sir.

and no, I have not tried the horizontal position, I leave that for the bedroom! J/k. The vertical just works better in my current setup. I will try it though, and report back my unbiased findings shortly.

Joergen

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2006, 05:23:00 PM »

But dont tilt it while the disc is running, GOD FORBID!

Joergen

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2006, 06:58:00 PM »

Basically you cant get a bad download on the 360, people just throw the "redownload it" as a solution but its not. The 360 uses CRC32 checking as it receives pieces of the file and it cannot be received corrupted if it says its finished.

And Full Auto demo is crashing for almost everybody, but not quite everybody. I havent had it crash not once out of like 50 times playing it (I like it), so it might be a weird bug in the game that is setup related (as in any of the parameters you can input yourself that it doesnt like).

So it is SUPPOSED TO CRASH, dont worry about it.

XBOXIZGOOD

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2006, 07:40:00 PM »

I have a Premium 360 with a MFG date of 10-24-05, and it is VERY quiet. I can barely hear the lens moving around when the game is loading, and the console has NEVER gotten past warm since I've had it. I find it interesting that MS revised the disc drive though.

saunders73

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »

I have the Full Auto demo off an OXM disc and its never crashed...

PlumeNoir

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2006, 09:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(giftic @ Feb 4 2006, 02:26 PM) View Post

mines not Loud...it has a 12 15 05 date
i think..

yeah power brick..doesnt get HOT..its the size of a Laptop powerpack..common

Really? It is almost twice the size of my Thinkpad's brick. In fact, I have had a 600e, a T21 and a T42, and those bricks are all about the same size - again, about half the size of the 360's.

More on topic, I have had my 360 since 11/19 and mine is VERY loud, especially during PD0 (and I have noticed the Dashboard hum). I really haven't had any problems with it, though. However, I have it set up in my bedroom in my small corner entertainment centre and the bottom shelf has only the 360's brick and my slim PS2 (so there is a LOT of room for it). This leads me to believe what everyone is saying that a lot of the 360 problems are ventlation-related.

Master X

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2006, 09:23:00 PM »

So MS has put new dvd drives in the 360's. Is the scratching problem fixed?

Master X

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2006, 09:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(US Nationalist @ Feb 5 2006, 01:33 AM) View Post

apparently... I would assume, anyway.  I've tilted and moved my 360 numerous times while there was a disc spinning in it, and it hasn't scratched any of my discs thus far.  This is only one example, though, so it would be nice if anyone else could vouch for this as well.

Do you have a new drive or an old drive, also have you tilted and moved the 360 with an Xbox 360 game in it or just a music disc/Xbox game in it?

PlumeNoir

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2006, 09:41:00 PM »

QUOTE(Joergen @ Feb 4 2006, 06:56 PM) View Post

Just experienced the "older" drive (the one with "Decepticon-eyes" right behind the chrome bezel) at a friends house and it was slightly louder than the new drives with no triangle-eyes in the tray.

So finally I got to hear it firsthand. So people who keep telling me the 360 is loud is loud is loud can either look to see if their tray is indicative of the old drive or shut up.  sleep.gif

Decepticon eyes? GREAT description! (Seriously, now that I look at it, that is totally accurate!)

I took a quick pic to show what the Decepticon eyes look like (to compare against the other poster's pic). Forgive the fact that my camera phone isn't too great, and my fatass black cat was chilling underneath the tray in the pic.

IPB Image

US Nationalist

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2006, 10:04:00 PM »

Interesting results.  Indeed, with a disc running and you switching the 360 position from horizontal to vertical or vice-versa, you hear a loud sound coming from within the DVD drive.  There's a catch to this, though.

First off, I noticed that it only did it if I moved the 360 with quite a bit of force, meaning I moved it from vertical to horizontal quickly instead of carefully laying it down or standing it up.

Secondly, even though I did this approximately 10 times, with the obnoxious sound occuring every time, there's only 2 faint, round, even scratches on the outside of my disc.  I restarted my xbox, and the disc still works fine.

So, I've come to the conclusion that the people with the scratched discs that don't work anymore simply were very, very careless, and damn near had to do it on purpose.  I honestly can't see how having your disc scratched like that once, even twice, can ruin the whole disc.

Master X

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2006, 10:18:00 PM »

Yeah, my dvd drive scratched my Perfect Dark Zero in a perfect circle on the disk. I didnt bother seeing if it still worked I just phoned MS and had them send me a new one.

Moleman

• Recovered User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2006, 10:27:00 PM »

12/02/06 and I have the Decepticon eyes.  Its pretty quiet though.

Joergen

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2006, 07:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(Moleman @ Feb 5 2006, 07:34 AM) View Post

You meant the second of december 2005 right? Otherwise that would both shake our beliefs that the eye-tray is old, and destroy the laws of the universe itself by jumping into the future.

saunders73

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Noise
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2006, 07:41:00 AM »

QUOTE(Moleman @ Feb 5 2006, 12:34 AM) View Post

Isn't that date next Sunday? I have the Decepticon eyes, and i can't hear my xbox over my tv with the sound at 20(Toshiba)
Pages: 1 [2] 3