xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Linkskys Wireless G Usb Adapter  (Read 40 times)

JimmyDeushku

• Archived User
Linkskys Wireless G Usb Adapter
« on: December 08, 2005, 10:00:00 PM »

Do you guys know if the Linkskys wireless G USB Adapter will work on my 360 instead of me having to buy the $100 MS one?  Please, I need a quick reply.

Thanks

EDIT: OR does anyone know if K-Mart is still selling the MS 360 wireless adapter for $45?

This post has been edited by JimmyDeushku: Dec 9 2005, 06:23 AM

getfuzzy77

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 10:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(JimmyDeushku @ Dec 9 2005, 12:31 AM) *

Do you guys know if the Linkskys wireless G USB Adapter will work on my 360 instead of me having to buy the $50-100 MS one?  Please, I need a quick reply.

Thanks

It really depends on the router you have. If the router you have is for g (or both b and g) then it will work.I don't know about the USB port working, but I know you could just get a stand alone adapter for cheap and just hook it up to the back of your 360 with an ethernet cord and have the router connected to wherever your main internet line is.

That would be your easiest solution depending on the circumstances and what you're looking for.

But, yeah, I don't know if the wireless USB adapter will work.

JimmyDeushku

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 10:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(getfuzzy77 @ Dec 8 2005, 10:54 PM) *

It really depends on the router you have. If the router you have is for g (or both b and g) then it will work.I don't know about the USB port working, but I know you could just get a stand alone adapter for cheap and just hook it up to the back of your 360 with an ethernet cord and have the router connected to wherever your main internet line is.

That would be your easiest solution depending on the circumstances and what you're looking for.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I happen to have two routers, one being wireless and the other a MS branded wired one.  Say I wanted to hook my 360 up to the internet in my room, about 50 feet from my computer room where my router is, could I just hook my TV cable up to the MS router and plug my 360 into it? Or would I have to pay my ISP (Insight Communications) $5 for an extra DNS address?

balistic2

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 10:33:00 PM »

NO, anything other then the OFFICAL M$ xbox360 wireless adapter will NOT work with the xbox360!!!

Ill repeat

NO the ONLY wirless adapter that WORKS with the xbox360 is the OFFICAL M$ xbox360 wireless adapter!!!
(retail price $100)

I too was an optomist HOPING that my liksys wireless adapter would work but NO it does NOT
M$ is VERY STRICT with thier M$ critification!! so anything with OUT  that shiny M$ siticker will NOT work with the 360

as for routers I have a linksys WRT54G and a WRT54GX2 and both WORK FINE with the 360.

QUOTE(getfuzzy77 @ Dec 9 2005, 05:54 AM) *

WHAT he is actually trying to say is you can buy a WIRELESS BRIDGE (this was used to make the original xbox WIRELESS) it connects via the ethernet port to your 360 and then to the device and BAM your wired port just became wireless (heres a pic)

(IMG:http://www.smarthomepro.com/images/6307gside1big.jpg)

(sorry to break the wallet i was pissed to when i realized that i had to hash out $100 more)

This post has been edited by balistic2: Dec 9 2005, 06:40 AM

amb7247

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 10:35:00 PM »

you have to realize that unless MS will provide driver support for the D-link, netgear, Linksys, etc devices out there, it will not work. Only MS USB wireless adapter will support the 360 natively.

JimmyDeushku

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 10:41:00 PM »

But what if I plugged in an additional wired adapter, aside from the wireless G router in my computer room, to the TV cable in my room? Could I just run an ethernet cord from it and plug it into my 360?  Hopefully I will be getting the wireless adapter this week seeing as I just had plastic surgery on my jaw this morning and my family is feeling generous to me.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)   Can anyone please take a few pics of what the adapter looks like on a 360? I would really appreciate it!

BTW some things I say in the next few days might not make sense, I am on Amoxicilin and Vikadin right now.

This post has been edited by JimmyDeushku: Dec 9 2005, 06:44 AM

amb7247

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 10:45:00 PM »

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/product_images/258841.jpg

This post has been edited by amb7247: Dec 9 2005, 06:48 AM

JimmyDeushku

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 10:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(amb7247 @ Dec 8 2005, 11:16 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Lol thanks, I'm not really thinking straight right now because of the medicines.  I'm actually kind of drowsy and really dizzy.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

balistic2

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 10:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(JimmyDeushku @ Dec 9 2005, 06:12 AM) *

But what if I plugged in an additional wired adapter, aside from the wireless G router in my computer room, to the TV cable in my room? Could I just run an ethernet cord from it and plug it into my 360?  Hopefully I will be getting the wireless adapter this week seeing as I just had plastic surgery on my jaw this morning and my family is feeling generous to me.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)   Can anyone please take a few pics of what the adapter looks like on a 360? I would really appreciate it!

BTW some things I say in the next few days might not make sense, I am on Amoxicilin and Vikadin right now.

(i think its the drugs speaking) b/c the way i am seeing your setup is.........
You have a cable jack in the room of your 360 (cable jack the little circle is with a hole in the middle how your TV gets cable) So that must mean you have a cable modem at your house (how you get internet) well you want to buy another cable modem and then wire that to your 360???

well in short (i think) the answer is NO. I am PRETTY SURE (although I could be 100% wrong)

I had highspeed internet installed at my house about 6 years ago) the cable company (cox comm) had to modify a cable socket that was already in the wall so that the modem would work correctly. Some years later i decied i wanted to move my cable modem. When i attached it to another socket i would UNable to access the internet. Now this expirence has only been tested at MY house. so it could be COMPLETLY diff at your place.

but by buying another cab;le modem, it WOULD be cheaper to go another route.
i see it as you need MORE range with your wirless router. linksys makes a wireless range extender. and a multiitude of other companies make them also.
(i also needed more range extension b/c my WRT54G wouldnot get signal upstairs. i up graded to the WRT54GX2 and it works PERFECT)
SORRY FOR THE LONG POST LOL

JimmyDeushku

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 10:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(balistic2 @ Dec 8 2005, 11:25 PM) *

(i think its the drugs speaking) b/c the way i am seeing your setup is.........
You have a cable jack in the room of your 360 (cable jack the little circle is with a hole in the middle how your TV gets cable) So that must mean you have a cable modem at your house (how you get internet) well you want to buy another cable modem and then wire that to your 360???

well in short (i think) the answer is NO. I am PRETTY SURE (although I could be 100% wrong)

I had highspeed internet installed at my house about 6 years ago) the cable company (cox comm) had to modify a cable socket that was already in the wall so that the modem would work correctly. Some years later i decied i wanted to move my cable modem. When i attached it to another socket i would UNable to access the internet. Now this expirence has only been tested at MY house. so it could be COMPLETLY diff at your place.

but by buying another cab;le modem, it WOULD be cheaper to go another route.
i see it as you need MORE range with your wirless router. linksys makes a wireless range extender. and a multiitude of other companies make them also.
(i also needed more range extension b/c my WRT54G wouldnot get signal upstairs. i up graded to the WRT54GX2 and it works PERFECT)
SORRY FOR THE LONG POST LOL

Lol I think it was the drugs speaking, I realize what you guys are meaning now. Do you know if K-Mart still sells the MS wireless adapter for $45?

boxrocker

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2005, 06:23:00 AM »

No, they are selling it for $49.99