xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: A Lot Of You Will Buy The Wrong Hdtv  (Read 778 times)

gainpresence

• Archived User
A Lot Of You Will Buy The Wrong Hdtv
« on: May 23, 2005, 08:10:00 PM »

Hmm, my $400 30" HDTV only weighs 89lbs.. but you're right about the 1080i only.

I'm waiting on 1080p and the FCC before I spend another 2 grand on a TV (last time was 1997).

MetalZoic

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 08:12:00 PM »

Very, very true. A friend asked me today about a 30" Samsung crt hdtv...
Good price.
Excellent picture.

Problem is it only does 1080i, so I explained to him that if he bought it, he'd be
kicking himself in 6 months.
The Panasonic also does 1080i only. However many Sony's (mine included) if not
all of them (although I have only checked a few) will do both 720p and 1080i.
Surprisingly the low priced 30" Phillips 16:9 does both as well. If you plan on
getting a PS3, having a TV that does both would be a good idea since they will
have no standard. Some games might do 720p, 1080i or both. With a TV that
only does one format you might be shit out of luck with some games. At least
with the 360 you'll know you're good to go with a 720p display.

Whatever you do don't rely on the salesperson to answer this question correctly
for you. This isn't standard information on those price tags, so if they give you an
answer they are probably guessing. Many places can look up more detailed specs
in the store though (circuit city can do this, and I think I've had best buy do it as
well).

prankfurter

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 08:20:00 PM »

that xbox 360 games will only support 720p is false

http://www.xbox.com/...0/factsheet.htm
All games supported at 16:9, 720p, and 1080i, anti-aliasing

anyways my sony 30" hdtv supports both 720p and 1080i smile.gif

photoposite

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 08:33:00 PM »

Nice argument man.  I would advise everyone get an hdtv with 720p and 1080i as well.  I just bought two hd sets this weekend, both from Walmart.  They both have 1080i and 720p.  The lcd is great for movies and watching cable.  The problem came however when playing the xbox with game that actually do 720p.  There are only a few.  Those game showed alot of artifacting on the screen of the lcd.  Oh yeah, both are 27".  The tube hdtv did better on 720p games, no artifacting, so I'll be keeping this one to play the games with and using the lcd basically for tv.  Now I can forsee an argument here, but the 1080i looks just as good or better on today's xbox, ps2 and gamecube games over the 720p mode.  The 720p is smoother but the 1080i is more detailed.  So it's a preference thing.  I prefer 1080i on what I'm playing right now.  But 720p might be better for the future.  1080p, wow, it won't even be a debate with that comes out.  But for me, 1080 offers more lines of resolution and better picture, although interlaced its great.  I'm getting all three systems, so like the others said, 720p and 1080i is a must.  But try both modes and see which one is better for you.  If you can, go to a store and ask to hook up a console to the tv's you want.  That way, you can see which one is best.  One last thing, both the lcd and tube are 16:9.  Tube is heavy as heck though, but better picture for games.  Both costed me here at Walmart in Houston, $749 for lcd and $549 for tube.  Happy gaming in HD.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 09:17:00 PM »

I'm quite happy with my DLP projector...

4lbs, 140", supports 720p and 1080i  tongue.gif

draken333

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 10:28:00 PM »

So 720p is actually better looking then 1080i? I thought 1080i was the best it gets cause its has the highest resolution. Now all this talk about 1080p, will it be much a difference?

RX3

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 11:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ May 23 2005, 10:28 PM)
I'm quite happy with my DLP projector...

Absolute Tru7h

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 11:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(RX3 @ May 23 2005, 10:28 PM)
Too bad you can only play in the dark though

zikronix

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »

Actully. 1080i is fine...My tv upconverts 720p signals to 1080i the Idea that 720p is better than 1080i is wrong though

In the 1080i system, 1080 picture scan lines are traced from top to bottom as interlaced fields (540 lines in the first field, and 540 lines in the second). There are 1920 pixels (picture-forming elements) on each line. Therefore, the total image resolution is 1920x1080, or just over 2 million pixels.

The 720p system scans 720 picture lines from top to bottom in 1/60th of a second, to eliminate flicker. There are 1280 pixels on each line, resulting in a total image resolution of 1280x720 or 921,600 pixels.

In the same time interval that one-half of a 1080i image is shown -- or about 1 million pixels -- all of the 720p image will be scanned, or just under 1 million pixels. For this reason, proponents of the 720p system claim that it has the same perceived image resolution as the 1080i system

And despite what some might say...Toshiba, Panasonic, Philips, and Hitachi have sets where 720p will be converted to 1080i, and analog NTSC to 480p. Mitsubishi has unveiled seven sets, both widescreen and conventional, that displays 1080i at 1080i and convert analog NTSC, 720p, and 480p to its own unique scanning format of 960i. The odd man out is Pioneer, who does NOT do this except with their plasma sets

Additionally...Set up right by an ISF guy... a CRT model will smoke a DLP or LCD in maximal picture quality.

Ask any ISF tech and they will probably agree....

Black levels hold back the DLP and the LCD, as well as Rainbows, Streaking, Dithering, screen door, missing pixels, ect... These are all problems that can't be tweaked out.

With CRT they suffer from bad convergence, bad focus, bad geometry, bad overscan, bad greyscale, bad picture settings.... These can all be adjusted or perfected to give a more perfect or better picture than DLP or LCD.

People who claim LCD or DLP is better are simply not experienced enough to know any different. -I am not saying these new technologies are bad, cause I think both are great, just I expect to get flamed for posting the truth by many angry DLP and LCD lovers who would love to believe thier buying or purchase decision is the only correct one.

Hell My parents own a DLP and I own the RPTV and there tv is awesome.

And LCD is horrible. Bad Bad Idea LCD is hopeless.... No Hope for LCD IMHO.... They just suck too much. It's Funny how LCD RPTV owner make them out to be the best when infact they are awful. Ever watch sports on an LCD? There is like a trail effect... same when you place Video games... I always read about Xbox on the GWII. Xbox on the GWII is terrible....

Add a terrible cable picture... terrible (as in the worst possible) black levels, a terrible scaler, Missing and stuck pixels....not covered under warranty..

Just don't understand the cult following the LCD models have...cosidering they have marked up margins to the moon and sell for double the price of significantly better RPTV's.

It's simply amazing what a nice cabinet and the MFG name can do for a product.

If your looking into buying a HDTV I would vist many of the wonderful foums online before deciding on a purchase such as this.

Some examples are avsforum.com, hdtvforum.com and others.

zikronix

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 11:36:00 PM »

in theroy if its a dlp projector he/she shouldnt have to do that. It should be bright enough to leave the lights on.

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 11:37:00 PM »

^ Good post.  I agree, I get much more out of my 30" CRT than my 65" projection tv.

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 11:48:00 PM »

beerchug.gif ) I don't have most of the problems you mentioned (becuase, yes, when you watch in the dark you get a rainbow effect if you look for it when you move ur eyes, but dithering and missing pixels is not a problem), but I still prefer it over what is/was currently out in the same price zone.  But I TOTALLY agree with the whole LCD thing.  TERRIBLE picture.  Can't stand the whole grid effect, terrible artifact problem, it's really not that great of a picture, and expensive as hell to get a good one (in LCD standards).  Completely overrated.

But in the end, I guess it's whatever gets the job done for you... even though I like to have it done my way, lol.

zikronix

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 11:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(RX3 @ May 24 2005, 07:58 AM)
You said it. "in theory"...The reality is they look like crap unless it's very dark. I've seen them. I considered buying a projector at one time and ended up buying a 50" Pioneer 720p plasma. Awsome high def picture day or night. Plasmas rule!  smile.gif

zikronix

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 11:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(Owtlaw333 @ May 24 2005, 07:59 AM)
I'm at a loss as to how the whole weight issue is a problem... if the TV is good, who really cares how much it weighs?  Do you plan on moving several times a year?

Owtlaw333

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 11:59:00 PM »

QUOTE(zikronix @ May 23 2005, 10:04 PM)
ive heard plasma is the way to go and in reality plasma is the worst of them all. Great picture...but burnins, heat, fading, pricer for performance and alot of people go buy the 1500.00 plasma and are like this is an awesome hdtv and its not even hd its an EDTV
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12