xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbox 360 Backwards Compatible?!  (Read 112 times)

Deftech

• Archived User
Xbox 360 Backwards Compatible?!
« on: May 16, 2005, 09:26:00 PM »

damn doubters!!

w00000000t

M-K-E!

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 09:27:00 PM »

im waiting for the catch though..

he didnt say it will be backwards compatible with all xbox games, just the best selling ones.

blackchild1101

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 09:28:00 PM »

Well i'm still iffy. Call me a stickler but until MS says "You'll be able to put some of your current Xbox games in the new 360 and be able to play them", I won't believe it till I see.

Remeber it could still mean bc with Live

sobman

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 09:33:00 PM »

OF COURSE IT WILL BE EVERYONE ALREADY KNEW THAT SPAM IS A WONDERFUL CAN

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 09:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(M-K-E! @ May 16 2005, 10:57 PM)
im waiting for the catch though..
he didnt say it will be backwards compatible with all xbox games, just the best selling ones.

exactly
I think they are going to have game devs recompile the executables to be able to run on the xbox360 and provide an updated .xbe just like is done now for many xbox live games.

zikronix

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 09:40:00 PM »

yea all games better be backward compatible.

Ex-Cyber

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 09:46:00 PM »

I can think of two (obviously highly speculative) possibilities that seem to fit the vagueness about compatibility:

1) Upcoming high-profile Xbox releases will be transitional dual-system discs, containing executables for both systems with shared data. This seems consistent with a lot of the XNA hype and might help ease the transition from Xbox to Xbox 360 development for mid-size and smaller development teams.

2) Have developers port Xbox bestsellers (both past and upcoming) to 360 and the executables can be downloaded through Live, but will use the Xbox disc for data, or they could have an emulation framework with game-specific tweaks/hacks and QA instead of full-blown ports. Either way the result visible to the player would be roughly the same.

blackchild1101

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 09:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ex-Cyber @ May 17 2005, 03:16 AM)
I can think of two (obviously highly speculative) possibilities that seem to fit the vagueness about compatibility:

1) Upcoming high-profile Xbox releases will be transitional dual-system discs, containing executables for both systems with shared data. This seems consistent with a lot of the XNA hype and might help ease the transition from Xbox to Xbox 360 development for mid-size and smaller development teams.

2) Have developers port Xbox bestsellers (both past and upcoming) to 360 and the executables can be downloaded through Live, but will use the Xbox disc for data, or they could have an emulation framework with game-specific tweaks/hacks and QA instead of full-blown ports. Either way the result visible to the player would be roughly the same.

But wouldn't you think that would add more pressure and cost on the devs and pubs  to "re-issue" there old/current games on the new system. They could spend that extra money developing new games for the 360

heinrich

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 09:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(blackchild1101 @ May 16 2005, 11:18 PM)
But wouldn't you think that would add more pressure and cost on the devs and pubs  to "re-issue" there old/current games on the new system. They could spend that extra money developing new games for the 360

but "what is possible" and "what would be nice" are sometimes 2 different things.

blackchild1101

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 09:52:00 PM »

QUOTE(heinrich @ May 17 2005, 03:20 AM)
but "what is possible" and "what would be nice" are sometimes 2 different things.

I agree... This is a interesting dilimma. I think that when MS says "best sellers" they probably mean the games that they have publish. So I would expect to Crimson Sky 360, Halo 2 360, PGR 2 360

spearfree

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 10:20:00 PM »

I dunno guys...I am just disapointed! :(

They should make it 4 all games not just some! :(

huh  :(

edwinmcdunlap

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2005, 10:26:00 PM »

so.. will we be able to play Halo 2 on Xbox Live on the 360..?

crossdawg

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2005, 10:28:00 PM »

We knew long ago it wasn't going to be the same architecture as the original Xbox.  It would have been nice to have full backwards compatability, but honestly I'd much rather see progression than holding onto the past.  I mean, honestly I'll still have my original Xbox near as their media center will definately not be as functional as ours. (XBMC, which already pummels Windows MCE)  I think we can just be thankful that some of our games will work on the new system.  I don't know how they will pull it off yet, but I would assume emulation in the same style that Nintendo has done with Zelda, downloaded from Live with validation from inserting the original disc everytime you want to play it.  Halo 2 on 360 wouldn't be so bad.

Jedi_Rainman

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2005, 10:42:00 PM »

And maybe there will still be a Halo 2.5...?

crossdawg

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2005, 10:46:00 PM »

Halo 2.5 is probably a myth.  The idea of it was that it'd be included on the higher end xbox model, pre-loaded on the HDD...also a myth.  I think all bungie's focus will be to create an incredible Halo 3 experience to coincide with the release of PS3...Gates has already been quoted to be preparing for the PS3 killer....and trust me, it won't be that difficult if the handles of the controllers remain 15 feet long like those pictures of it (which i highly doubt they will).