xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Free Xbox Live?  (Read 276 times)

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2005, 12:34:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(whet1134 @ Apr 29 2005, 02:10 PM)
If I hadn't been banned from XBL (I left my modchip on when I booted from disc during Halo2   mad.gif  which is how I found X-S to begin with...) I'd be playing Burnout 3 everynite.  It's that good.  There is something for everyone and noone cheats (that I found).  Enjoy!

bluvasa

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2005, 06:49:00 PM »

I really don't mind paying for it at all.  

I can't get enough of Halo2.  It is by far my favorite game and one of the reasons I have 3 xboxes.

Twisted, you should check it out again.  They have fixed all of the cheating and are resetting the stats in the next couple of weeks, so you will have a level playing field.  

I just hope my existing LIVE account transfers over seamlessly when they launch the new version.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2005, 02:29:00 PM »

sad.gif

I'd prefer to play DOA or PGR over Halo, hell I'd even rather play TimeSplitters (more characters, more weapons, faster game play, bots etc.). When it comes down to it I'm really not an FPS player TS tends to keep me entertained with it's fast pace and goofiness. Halo is more for die hard FPS fans, which I'm not.

Though I did pre-order my Special edition Halo 2  laugh.gif and I got about half way through the solo games before putting it up for something else.

I think if you own an Xbox and not halo: J Allard personally comes to your house and bitch slaps you  laugh.gif

Too_Fast

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2005, 01:29:00 PM »

grr.gif lol

Joergen

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2005, 01:57:00 PM »

If the Silver account turns out to be true and you can play on weekends its good enough for me, but I will NEVER buy the Gold version.. I'll just have to switch to the PS3 if MS thinks they can tax me out of my money with monthly fees for stuff I already paid for several times (once for buying the console, twice for buying the game and trice for the DSL).

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2005, 02:01:00 PM »

I don't see the big problem with paying out £20 a year for xbox live!

Too_Fast

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2005, 02:13:00 PM »

It's not just the price of Live!, but also that you must buy the xbox, the game, and pay for your own internet bill... It's just outrageous how MS wants to suck the money out of people.

... It's not like they're hurtin.

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Too_Fast @ May 10 2005, 08:19 PM)
It's not just the price of Live!, but also that you must buy the xbox, the game, and pay for your own internet bill... It's just outrageous how MS wants to suck the money out of people.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2005, 02:23:00 PM »

I'm fairly certain that Sony online games run on the individual server of the game company NOT Sony's server (I could be wrong). Where all Xbox Live games run on Xbox servers. It's a good service and you get a lot more out of it than just playing games online. MS isn't going to just give you shit for free, it's not like they get anymore for a live game than a non live game, and it's not like they're getting a cut of your ISP's profits.

Things are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them...
if MS charged $500 a month for live how many people do you think would sign up?
if MS charged $1 a year for live how many people do you think would sign up?

The $50 a year price is a maximum profit point. Which means that they get the highest amount of subscribers for the highest price tag for the service. If they go $10 higher in price they'll loose enough members that they'll make less money, and if they go $10 lower in price they won't gain enough new members to make as much as they were at the higher price point.

As time goes on and the service becomes more desirable these figures change and the price of the service gets adjusted accordingly.

The point is... nothing comes without a price tag... all that matters is how much people are willing to pay.

Joergen

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »

First of all not all countries especially in Europe use credit cards like Visa or Mastercard, but bank account cards. I know tens of people with an xbox but no credit card, so MS is screwed trying to get their money.

Secondly the console market follows the rules of free trade unlike the operating system market that MS is so used to, so the competitor can outdo whatever youre offering, which means I wont HAVE TO pay MS a dime. That's the whole point here, that MS cannot ask for our money for a service that the competition will offer for free.

And even though the stock holders are the very incarnation of evil itself and expect gazillions of profit from every MS venture, as the richest company on earth, MS should bend over where its needed to secure a leading marketplace.

I would gladly pay 100USD more for the X360 if it meant full live service for free for the lifespan of the system, but I will not pay 100USD as a tax from my credit card to the company that already got my money when I got the game.

So if MS doesnt understand this, I have no problem going out to the shop and dish out whatever EA wants for Battlefield2 and play it for FREE every frigging day for the next year on my PC that cost me 2000 USD to upgrade a couple months ago, but I will not pay MS for a monthly fee even if the X360 costs 150USD.

That's the logic, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Too_Fast

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »

Good point. I never really thought into it that hard. But either way I think it is still unnessecary that must throw this fee on top of everything else. I believe that MS could sell more xbox360 consoles in the future if they made online play free. In the American consumer market it seems that the xbox just has more appeal now a days than it did in its launch, being new to its sony rival the PS2. After giving us a taste of what MS and the xbox have to offer, free online play could possibly make it skyrocket over the ps3... except for the fact that the PS3 is expected to run 3x faster than the xbox360. So free xbox live! may be what it NEEDS to keep up with its soon to be competitor.

Though if you disagree with me, I see you through completely. I'm not a marketing person but this just seems plausible.

Too_Fast

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2005, 02:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(Joergen @ May 10 2005, 03:48 PM)
First of all not all countries especially in Europe use credit cards like Visa or Mastercard, but bank account cards. I know tens of people with an xbox but no credit card, so MS is screwed trying to get their money.

Joergen

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2005, 03:02:00 PM »

Exactly Too_Fast. The free Live service would give MS a huge advantage and would help establish a large and active userbase fast. Think of all the peopl who've never played on Live because its not free. If it was free they could try it at their own peace and get sucked into the fun.

And its not as if online games suffer from too many players.. if anything people feel they've not gotten their moneys worth when their game has no players a few weeks from launch.

The supposed Silver account goes A LONG WAY in this respect especially IF the weekends are free or if the Free weekends are announced clearly for everybody to see.. so hopefully MS is at least 80% where I want them to be with the Live service.

Shinamano

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2005, 03:05:00 PM »

I agree that the free service is a great idea...I just wonder what the benefit of a paid subscription is...
Pages: 1 [2] 3