xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Free Xbox Live?  (Read 277 times)

The Fiend

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« on: April 29, 2005, 10:16:00 AM »

since the xbox360 relies so heavily on LIVE, shouldn't it be free? I'm not talking about all the content, I'm just talking about the account and the online gaming.

I believe that it should be free if all you wanted to do was play online, but charge for special map downloads and other content.

Is this already happening or is it just a good thought?

Arius

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 10:25:00 AM »

It should also be free because (here in the UK) you HAVE to have a credit card,

As when companys even get my application they start to slip into the red, I have no chance of getting one, so if Live where a requirement they either need to find other ways of paying for it, or lose customers like myself.

celinedrules

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2005, 10:27:00 AM »

They have prepaid credit cards.

crobar

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »

i missed the part about it being heavily dependent on LIVE...
how will it be any  more dependent than the current console?

Arius

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2005, 10:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(celinedrules @ Apr 29 2005, 04:33 PM)
They have prepaid credit cards.

ninjax

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2005, 10:32:00 AM »

Honestly, I am paying for a console that would, in all reality, (as a normal consumer) cost me $3,000+ to build and play a PC that would match the graphics that this console will have.  I am not going to bitch about paying $50 a year to have their online services.

Arius

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2005, 10:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(ninjax @ Apr 29 2005, 04:38 PM)
Honestly, I am paying for a console that would, in all reality, (as a normal consumer) cost me $3,000+ to build and play a PC that would match the graphics that this console will have.  I am not going to bitch about paying $50 a year to have their online services.

ninjax

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2005, 10:41:00 AM »

What about a debit card, thats what I use.  Can your bank offer you a debit card?

Arius

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2005, 10:45:00 AM »

and my debit card that i use everywhere both online and offline they dont accept.

smile.gif

And its not some small bodge it and legit Debit Card, MS in the UK only take visa / Mastercard and american express.

Hopefully it will change in the future, if they intend to make every next gen xbox on live out of the box, they will have to change it to accept bank debit cards etc...

ninjax

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2005, 10:48:00 AM »

and my debit card that i use everywhere both online and offline they dont accept.

Shows you how much attention I am paying today  blink.gif

Arius

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2005, 10:51:00 AM »

lol biggrin.gif

I would even by a started kit every year (£40) , I wouldnt want live for premium content, I would only use it to play the odd game online (I am not a big gamer anyways)

It used to annoy me, but I got over it after arguing with a "Xbox Live Customer service Rep" for 30 minutes ove rthe phone,since then I have decided I can live without live biggrin.gif

XxXDarkwraitHXxX

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2005, 11:38:00 AM »

I think that if you have a Xbox1 Live account, it should carry over and you should be able to play xbox1 and xbox2 games online with it. That way, you won't have to pay $100 a year if you want to play xbox2 and xbox1 online.

twistedsymphony

• Recovered User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2005, 11:51:00 AM »

yeah honestly I don't ever use live... I signed up when Mortal Kombat Deception came out and every 3rd game would drop despite everything checking out ok. So I probably played that for about an hour... Then DOA Ultimate which was fun for a little while but it's the same friggin game I played years ago on my DC so it got boring pretty quick... then Halo 2 came out... played a bit but it's so rampant with cheaters its just plain not fun unless you're playing rumble training (hardly anyone bothers to cheat there) and that gets boring pretty quick.

So for the 5 or 6 months I've had Live I've probably played about 7 or 8 hours total on it and really didn't get much more out of it than I would playing solo or with a couple of friends over... I finally got around to Cracking open Rally Sport Challenge (I got it with my Mt Dew Xbox last summer but never played it until now  laugh.gif ) I really like solo so far but my cable internet got knocked out earlier this week (some excavators digging a foundation for an addition to my house). Maybe Forza will offer some good Live action but I'm not holding my breath.

So far the most I've got out of it is some extra content for a few games like Rally Sport Challenge and Splinter Cell. Both of which if I just waited a little longer I could have got from OXM.

So when it comes down to it I hope basic live on X360 is free. I don't play it enough to warrant the price, not to mention if it's $50 a year + micro-transaction fees for added content then it definitely wont be worth it for that...

If I could see international rankings, send messages to friends and play a few racing and fighting games for free that would be great. Then I could only pay for the content I wanted or subscription fees for the more involved games...

I bet MS will be taking a % of every micro transaction fee and with that they could easily afford to give live for free...

Looking at the stats it would seem that only about 10% of all Xbox owners are actually on live... Considering most people who have broadband have wireless (too lazy to wire  dry.gif ) If you plug your Xbox in and power it up... you're on live already... Fancy that, if it's free you just have to select a gamer-tag and you're good to go  beerchug.gif

whet1134

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2005, 12:02:00 PM »

Twisted, if you haven't tried it yet, Burnout 3 makes Live totally worth having.  Road Rage mode is by far the most fun you'll have online if you like racing games.  Party Crash is pretty fun too, but it gets old after a month or so.  Just a suggestion seeing as you like racers.

ninjax

• Archived User
Free Xbox Live?
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2005, 12:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(whet1134 @ Apr 29 2005, 02:08 PM)
Twisted, if you haven't tried it yet, Burnout 3 makes Live totally worth having.  Road Rage mode is by far the most fun you'll have online if you like racing games.  Party Crash is pretty fun too, but it gets old after a month or so.  Just a suggestion seeing as you like racers.
Pages: [1] 2 3