xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Pc Troubleshooting  (Read 22 times)

NeO529

• Archived User
Pc Troubleshooting
« on: July 30, 2003, 09:29:00 AM »

Well, my friend went out of town for a few days and left his computer on. When he came back it wasn't working anymore and so he wanted me to come and help him. I tried to turn it on and you can hear the HDD spin and the fans come on but there is no post, no video, nothing. After about 20 seconds it turns off. Then if you turn it right back on it turns off after about 5 seconds. Then after that you can't get it to power at all unless you let it sit for about 10 seconds.I checked all connections, unplugged and took out the cmos battery and let it sit for awhile. Plugged it back in and put the battery back in and it still did the same thing. At first I thought it might be psu but now I am kind of wondering if it is the motherboard... Need immediate help.

Predalex

• Archived User
Pc Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 09:42:00 AM »

1. Clean the inside of the machine, check to see if the CPU heatsink is securely in place and the fan on the CPU is spinning on power up.

2. Check for shorts in the machine. Reseat all molex connections move the cables around to make sure none are touching the case, clean the machine with a duster or vacuum as something may short out the board.

3. Reseat EVERYTHING in the system, even down to the system board, many times on older machines, a simple short, or thurmal expansion may be a cause of a faulting system.

thr3311jd

• Archived User
Pc Troubleshooting
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 10:00:00 AM »

it sounds like a dead power supply, his happened to me as well... get a new power supply :)

ShadowKiller

• Archived User
Pc Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 10:05:00 AM »

QUOTE (thr3311jd @ Jul 30 2003, 07:54 PM)
it sounds like a dead power supply, his happened to me as well... get a new power supply :)

I agree with thr3311jd.

* illusion *

• Archived User
Pc Troubleshooting
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 10:22:00 AM »

I agree, sounds like the same problems I had when my PSU didnt pump enough juice.

I have a 300W and 350W PSU for sale/trade, would you like to buy it or trade for a jewel or something when I ship my case?