xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Is MS Scanning E Drives?  (Read 75 times)

ydgmms

• Archived User
Is MS Scanning E Drives?
« on: December 07, 2004, 01:14:00 AM »

as of now.they are not scanning drive contents, even with flagged GTs.

Angerwound

• Archived User
Is MS Scanning E Drives?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 07:30:00 AM »

tongue.gif

feet14

• Archived User
Is MS Scanning E Drives?
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 08:30:00 AM »

QUOTE (Angerwound @ Dec 7 2004, 03:33 PM)
Yup, I've got hacked gamesaves and such on my /e/ currently and am having no problems. The only files I'd assume them to 'scan' or 'checksum' would be /c/xboxdash.xbe - I haven't attempted to go live with this file changed yet because I have no extra eeproms. tongue.gif

I think this validates the marriage theory because if files are not being scanned then this is the only explanation as to why so many people have been banned with their modchip off.

Angerwound

• Archived User
Is MS Scanning E Drives?
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (feet14 @ Dec 7 2004, 11:33 AM)
I think this validates the marriage theory because if files are not being scanned then this is the only explanation as to why so many people have been banned with their modchip off.

There are numerous other possibilities or 'situations' that could be happening for all these random people to get banned. Until someone decodes the actual live packets being sent to and from the xbox, any 'theories' are merely speculation.

The only advice I can give is to try and keep the box as retail as possible.

feet14

• Archived User
Is MS Scanning E Drives?
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2004, 07:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (wafflezone @ Dec 8 2004, 12:13 AM)
So if my box is softmodded, and I was writing a script that allows me to change back and forth between live compatible and modded, I would just have to replace my C drive with the stock MS dash? I can leave all my homebrew saves as well as my mechassault hacked gamesave on there?

To be more specific, as long as I have a stock C,  running normal MS BIOS, my harddrive is married correctly, and my eeprom is not banned, I'll be fine on xbox live? Regardless of what is on my E drive?

The most important thing is to have all M$ files present and unaltered before you connect to live. From what I've read on here, it seems that M$ are not scanning for dashboards on c and apps on e.

My Xbox is presently running on a completely stock retail HD, since I unbanned myself on 11 Nov. Been playing Halo 2 most days. I've kept my flagged GT as I'm using a retail HD. If I were to get banned with this setup it probably would have happened by now.

This afternoon I'm going to copy back EvoX and all my Apps on C and E, so if I do get banned over the next few days then it's most likely they are scanning the HD's.

feet14

• Archived User
Is MS Scanning E Drives?
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 04:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (wafflezone @ Dec 9 2004, 08:59 AM)
Can anybody confirm that it is fine if you logon with a hacked gamesave for softmodding (MA, SC etc)? That is what I need to know most.

To be safe, copy the savegame to a memory unit (or a PC USB pen drive with xbox->usb converter), then delete from Xbox HD. Also, make sure you have followed the uninstall procedures for the softmod.

Angerwound

• Archived User
Is MS Scanning E Drives?
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 06:59:00 AM »

beerchug.gif

Mr.James

• Archived User
Is MS Scanning E Drives?
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 03:16:00 AM »

Billy Pidgeon, an analyst for research firm Zelos Group, said console makers have long used any means available to them to thwart mod chips and halt illegal copying of games. The advent of online gaming for consoles has raised the stakes, he said.

"They're worried not just about enabling casual piracy but also about cheating," Pidgeon said. "A modded Xbox can allow all sorts of new avenues for cheating online and ruining the experience for paying customers. I would argue that Xbox Live is a great experience for the end user precisely because it's a closed, controlled environment, and anything that threatens that is a real concern for MS."

People have been using hacked saves to get faster cars in Project Gotham Racing 2 etc. If you want to use someone else's save game you must hack the default.xbe for that game. There must be some sort of encryption key that ties the save game to the xbox or a standard 'copy and paste' would work. MS scans the save, finds it not from your system, bans the 'cheater'. Scanning the save is the only way M$ could check people aren't using hacked saves.

http://forums.xbox-s...ic=308827&st=30

Check the post by Heykrop....

Here's one for you!
M$ IS scanning E:
How do I know? I have only played 4 games on my box in the last month. blah blah blah.... At least one of these I can identify as the HULK which I have not played in at least 6 - 8 months. Yet it was modified only a few nights ago......
9.  RIGHT TO MONITOR AND DISCLOSE
MS has no obligation to monitor your use of Xbox Live or retain the content of any user session. However, MS Parties and third-party game operators reserve the right at all times and without notice to delete any content and to monitor, review, retain and/or disclose any content or other information in MS's possession, however obtained, about or related to you, your use of Xbox Live or otherwise as MS deems necessary or useful to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or governmental request.

In laymans terms.... "I give MS the right to scan files on my Xbox"

I'm gonna bit-for-bit clone my 80gb HDD (cloned stock but with massive F:) to a new 120gb drive this weekend. I have a 1.6 with 80gb and have been playing halo 2 for about two weeks on live. Admittedly this was the first drive I connected to live with but a bit for bit clone will make the new drive identical. After a couple of weeks I'll delete the f: partition and recreate to utilise the full size of the drive. I'll let you all know if I get banned or not.

lordvader129

• Archived User
Is MS Scanning E Drives?
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 11:00:00 AM »

QUOTE (Mr.James @ Dec 10 2004, 05:19 AM)
I'm gonna bit-for-bit clone my 80gb HDD (cloned stock but with massive F:) to a new 120gb drive this weekend. I have a 1.6 with 80gb and have been playing halo 2 for about two weeks on live. Admittedly this was the first drive I connected to live with but a bit for bit clone will make the new drive identical. After a couple of weeks I'll delete the f: partition and recreate to utilise the full size of the drive. I'll let you all know if I get banned or not.

i dentical in everything except for model and serial number, which is what MS checks

i doubt MS is checking E:/, all of XPorts emulators, as well as most dashbaords and XBMC and dvd2xbox all save settings files in udata, i have demoed nearly every app ever made for xbox, so all the settings files on my E drive, no ban though

been playin gon Live since before h2 9and after) with my TSOP split xbox sporting a 250gb HD (dashbaord booting from F)

wafflezone

• Archived User
Is MS Scanning E Drives?
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 06:21:00 PM »

I just got banned 18 hours after I first logged in using my softmod package. I'm pretty sure I got banned for harddrive marriage because it took 18 hours to ban me and I had just bought an eeprom from somebody (not going to pay him now though).