xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28

Author Topic: Marriage Theory - How To Not Get Banned.  (Read 1853 times)

Gumba

• Archived User
Marriage Theory - How To Not Get Banned.
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2004, 05:07:00 AM »

Okay, lets say the worst has happened, and you've been banned... well...

Recovering from a ban

More detailed instructions for recovering an xbox which has been banned can be found in the follwowing thread : http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=299557

This post has been edited by Gumba: Nov 11 2004, 01:09 PM

ricjax99

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 05:15:00 AM »

QUOTE (Gumba @ Nov 11 2004, 01:49 PM)
I think they would get banned, unless MS did the install.

So even if you could fix the problem yourself or get a local electrician to fix it, MS have to fix your box!!  blink.gif

Gumba

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2004, 05:10:00 AM »

QUOTE (ricjax99 @ Nov 11 2004, 02:11 PM)
So even if you could fix the problem yourself or get a local electrician to fix it, MS have to fix your box!!  blink.gif

Unless you update your EEPROM at the same time.

That's the theory anywho wink.gif

feel free to prove it either way wink.gif

PhatheadWRX

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2004, 05:30:00 AM »

QUOTE (Gumba @ Nov 11 2004, 02:13 PM)
Unless you update your EEPROM at the same time.

That's the theory anywho wink.gif

feel free to prove it either way wink.gif

I modded a friends box w/ Chip/HD.  He flashed the chip wrong (after I moved away).  I told him just to get it running to remove chip and replace Original HD.

He had never been banned before.

Now he is banned.

So yes, even if you put your Xbox back to Stock w/o changing the EEPROM, you will be banned.

jaminbird

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2004, 06:05:00 AM »

my 2 cents:

i currently have a 1.1 with a matrix and a 120gb HD, i installed live back when it first came out long before i modded my box. I have been playing H2 on live for almost 3 days now and so far no ban.

jabberwock

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2004, 06:16:00 AM »

QUOTE (jaminbird @ Nov 11 2004, 03:01 PM)
my 2 cents:

i currently have a 1.1 with a matrix and a 120gb HD, i installed live back when it first came out long before i modded my box. I have been playing H2 on live for almost 3 days now and so far no ban.

The question is: Have you ever changed your HD or EEPROM and if so, when?

jaminbird

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2004, 06:29:00 AM »

QUOTE (jabberwock @ Nov 11 2004, 03:12 PM)
The question is: Have you ever changed your HD or EEPROM and if so, when?

Obviously i have changed my hd since 120gb HD's do not come stock in XBOX's and no i have never changed my epprom. As for your second question i changed out the stock hard drive less then a month ago. However prior to swapping my HD i had not used xbox live in over a year.

Soupy

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2004, 06:35:00 AM »

I got my Xbox in January, and modded it and upgraded the HD almost immediately.  I went on Live once before doing the HD upgrade, and that was before the Live 2.0 (or whatever) rollout in spring/summer.

I haven't played Halo 2 at all, but I've not had a single problem with NFL 2k5 on Live.  No ban here.  So in my experience, the OP's theory holds up.

Gumba

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2004, 06:38:00 AM »

QUOTE (jaminbird @ Nov 11 2004, 03:25 PM)
Obviously i have changed my hd since 120gb HD's do not come stock in XBOX's and no i have never changed my epprom. As for your second question i changed out the stock hard drive less then a month ago. However prior to swapping my HD i had not used xbox live in over a year.

Yes, I believe the HDs have only begun being tracked from a few months ago, most likely when Live 2.0 came out, which is less than a year ago, so from XBL's perspective you've always had a 120GB drive, and are thus fine.

solid7x2

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2004, 06:42:00 AM »

I dont think it matters if you have played halo 2 or not... I got banned without playing H2 for what I believe to be the 'new' reasons.  I think on the 8th, m$ simply upgraded their live checking system, or however u want to call it, effecting everyone who plays on live with any game.

qBaz

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2004, 06:56:00 AM »

I'd love to help provide some data, though I'd prefer not to get myself re-banned while doing it, natch.

I'm banned currently, with a Xenium ICE and a stock drive.  I have a new EEPROM waiting to go in, a non-stock 30gig harddrive on my shelf, and a stock hard drive coming to me via ebay.  I'm currently on a 2-month free subscription, but I'm not so attached to my GT that I won't give it up.

Question is -- what's my best path to success, here?  Replace my banned drive with the stock drive or non-stock?  Sign up for a new GT or attempt to get my old one back?

I'm assuming the absolutely safest way to go would be to put in a new (stock) HD, new eeprom, _and_ new GT.  Has there been any hard data to suggest that M$ is checking HD size for newly signed up GamerTags?  I'd love to put a larger drive into play, but there's enough paranoia floating around these forums to make me leery...

basso4735

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2004, 07:00:00 AM »

I have an X3, 1.6, and stock HD with as much stuff that can fit. And ive been plying for about 1.5 days, and im not banned. I really think that this theory is the easiest and as best that m$ can do. I believe this "marraige" theory totally.  

Angerwound

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2004, 07:04:00 AM »

Sorry to burst your bubble but they are checking the xboxdash.xbe file.

eisfeld2k1

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2004, 07:06:00 AM »

Sorry to burst your bubble but they are checking the xboxdash.xbe file

What does that mean ??

I got banned at the very beginning of xbox live, and got my new eeprom last year.
Since then i'm playing xbox live still with the original HDD.

If i would believe the marrige theory i sould not get banned right ?

Gumba

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2004, 07:05:00 AM »

QUOTE (qBaz @ Nov 11 2004, 03:52 PM)
I'd love to help provide some data, though I'd prefer not to get myself re-banned while doing it, natch.

I'm banned currently, with a Xenium ICE and a stock drive.  I have a new EEPROM waiting to go in, a non-stock 30gig harddrive on my shelf, and a stock hard drive coming to me via ebay.  I'm currently on a 2-month free subscription, but I'm not so attached to my GT that I won't give it up.

Question is -- what's my best path to success, here?  Replace my banned drive with the stock drive or non-stock?  Sign up for a new GT or attempt to get my old one back?

I'm assuming the absolutely safest way to go would be to put in a new (stock) HD, new eeprom, _and_ new GT.  Has there been any hard data to suggest that M$ is checking HD size for newly signed up GamerTags?  I'd love to put a larger drive into play, but there's enough paranoia floating around these forums to make me leery...

Yes, I would install the new drive, new eeprom and a new GT.

Re: the GamerTagf flagging and the related HD checking, I think there has been a lot of evidence to suggest that this is happening.

ie if someone replaces their eeprom and installs a virgin stock hd, then they can keep on using their old GT. If they then replaced their eeprom again, and installed a new non-stock virgin HD, then they get banned. repeat, but with a new GT... no ban.

That's good enough for me wink.gif
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28