xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17

Author Topic: Xblive Facts About New Mod Chip Detection  (Read 1464 times)

Sev

• Archived User
Xblive Facts About New Mod Chip Detection
« Reply #210 on: November 20, 2002, 01:54:00 PM »

Zander: doubly agreed.

The Live 'Update' people see after using full games is, as far as I can tell so far, an executable update for that game itself. If you have a modchip, check the number of XBE files you have on your E: partition before and after such checks.

This is why the demo MotoGP updated when I first used it from the nonbeta Live, and why Whacked! didn't. It'd also be the reason why the 'update' was instantiated from different retail discs. This is what the code seems to say.

That update could result in a game with further modchip checks being run instead of the default.xbe it originally used.

I'm actually looking for the modchip check itself, I haven't found it yet. There are many many things it could look for, not just BIOS checksums.

But either way, so far, I can prove that Live games have the chance to update their own executable, and this can be run instead of their own default.xbe .

prime

• Archived User
« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2002, 03:39:00 PM »

Personally I would have NO problems if MS put in detection for a modified hard drive or a copied game into their xbox live service.  Forcing us to buy originals to play on Xbox live isn't a huge deal.

Forcing us to use an original game in order to play on XboxLive is not a huge deal, and I can understand the whole hard drive thing because of cheat issues, but not allowing us to use a Mod Chip, if this is the case (which we aren't 100% sure yet), that really really sucks, particuarly for those of us who don't want our kids to play with our original (non-online) xbox games.

prime

NaughtyNu

• Archived User
« Reply #212 on: November 20, 2002, 03:58:00 PM »

QUOTE (pride @ Nov 20 2002, 05:10 PM)
you can still logon. You just need to buy the kit. mod detection isn't done until AFTER you sign on and get the required update

When did they impliment the update?  Just wondering since I haven't been able to connect to Live since before retail along with others but never used the beta for about 2 weeks before retail (I got bored with MotoGP)

Just pondering if I'm 'blacklisted' or not, probably am with my luck.

scoobster

• Archived User
« Reply #213 on: November 20, 2002, 04:39:00 PM »

Bjerk,

So go to Blockbuster, just get the hell out of here chump

NoMention

• Archived User
« Reply #214 on: November 20, 2002, 04:51:00 PM »

After reading all of this, I have but one question.  Where are all the packet sniffer junkies out there that will make EvoX have its own emulated XBox Live tab?  It can't be that hard to have EvoX (or whatever dashboard you are using) have it's own implementation of the XBox Live protocols.   There are numerous service emulators out there that all run on this simple concept.  Let's trap the packets as they come to and from the Xbox and build our own XBox Live app.  Then, we could force the XBox to not notify MS that the XBox is modded, etc.

Sounds viable to me.  I don't have a packet sniffer though...

Sayten

• Archived User
« Reply #215 on: November 20, 2002, 05:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (NoMention @ Nov 20 2002, 11:51 PM)
After reading all of this, I have but one question.  Where are all the packet sniffer junkies out there that will make EvoX have its own emulated XBox Live tab?  It can't be that hard to have EvoX (or whatever dashboard you are using) have it's own implementation of the XBox Live protocols.   There are numerous service emulators out there that all run on this simple concept.  Let's trap the packets as they come to and from the Xbox and build our own XBox Live app.  Then, we could force the XBox to not notify MS that the XBox is modded, etc.

Sounds viable to me.  I don't have a packet sniffer though...

Go right ahead, but I can tell you this. Without knowing how to decrypt the packets that XBL uses, all the packets look the same. The only thing that is visible is the Kerberos exchange to authenticate and negotiate encryption keys. Only way to get at those packets will be to pry open the Kerberos packets and extract the session keys. That might be possible for people with modchips, but for unmodded Xboxes, its next to impossible.

VaporStone

• Archived User
« Reply #216 on: November 20, 2002, 05:21:00 PM »

Has anyone heard about the new xecuter 2 bios?? it claims to remove XBL checks has anyone heard if this is true??

adamkd

• Archived User
« Reply #217 on: November 20, 2002, 05:35:00 PM »

opjose is a little 14 year old living in arkansas. he never gets much attention at school, and all the girls think he's "yucky". suddenly, everyone on these boards think he's like the fucking messiah, because he claims to have a modded xbox that can connect to XBL with NO PROBLEMS, even though all the rest of us can't.

I have one as well and have no problems connecting either. If you read the conditions which he laid out for connecting to xbox live with a chip maybe you would understand.

Fuzzy

• Recovered User
« Reply #218 on: November 20, 2002, 05:36:00 PM »

anyone know if they have been lying about people being banned? i cant connect in the dash, it doesnt look like a network card or connection problem, i used a packet sniffer and im sending data, but they keep saying im not banned, wtf?

Fuzzy

• Recovered User
« Reply #219 on: November 20, 2002, 05:47:00 PM »

jester.gif  rolleyes.gif  biggrin.gif  rolleyes.gif  jester.gif

Fuzzy

• Recovered User
« Reply #220 on: November 20, 2002, 07:38:00 PM »

if its server side why can 70% of the users connect

Sayten

• Archived User
« Reply #221 on: November 20, 2002, 10:11:00 PM »

QUOTE (yourstruly @ Nov 21 2002, 02:37 AM)
Personaly I believe it is server side almost anything else would be foolish.

The blocking is definately done on the server side. People have reported seeing differences in the Kerberos response packets on machines that are banned.

QUOTE (yourstruly @ Nov 21 2002, 02:37 AM)
There is one other place that they might have put something:

In the CPU!

Has anyone heard of Intel's Microcode update technology..... In theory it's to dynamicly update chip bugs, but it would be a hell of nasty place for them to put mod-chip blocking.....

Yeah, but microcode updates are stored in volatile memory. Once you kill the power, the updates disappear. So, atleast on the PC side of things, the system bios uploads the updates to the cpu on startup.

Bificus Beefy M.D

• Archived User
« Reply #222 on: November 20, 2002, 10:29:00 PM »

Seems like a great idea , Tyrant..but would the powers that be allow it? The think that Ms (or MF) would send their legal team there and try to crush it....before it ever got off of the ground

bluespot

• Archived User
« Reply #223 on: November 20, 2002, 11:32:00 PM »

bjork,

If you'd been around these forums for any amount of time, you'd know that opjose is married, has children, and is one of the most knowledgable people that any of us will ever meet.

He is one of the few people that actually puts real thought into all his posts, something that seems to be increasingly rare here.

There's a good reason people believe what he says...he's almost always right.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #224 on: November 20, 2002, 11:55:00 PM »

QUOTE (Websteria @ Nov 20 2002, 05:40 PM)
OP!! What is really going on? I've gat a matrix(evox2.5 bios) and virgin HD (XBL Dash) and have had no problems in mode 3 now since launch. I did the live install in mode 1(mod diabled). Then I switched to mode 3(swap mode). Also Ive never attempted to connect with mod enabled(but diabled from swap rather). I then went and disabled the mod again yesterday(MODE 1) and have been all over the livedash(to include sucessful connectivity tests. I'm thinking about leaving it in mode 1 for now so I don't accidently connect with it enabled. I think I'll keep it that way until the dust settles and WE REALLY KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON. If your deductions are correct how come MODE 3 seems to work for me and many others(as i've read on IRC). It sends us right back to the livedash. Could it be because we are not running another dash or a non-virgin HD?? A lot of questions. Maybe you could try experimenting with a virgin box and a matrix.

From what I understand you won't have problems unless you've gone onto live with your modchip active. The people who are having problems seem to have gone onto live with their modchips active and thus are banned. Hope that answers your question. (also, how do you quote the person's name, etc)

Yes this sums it up.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17