xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: To Reinforce What Opjose Stated About Live  (Read 200 times)

korp

• Archived User
To Reinforce What Opjose Stated About Live
« on: November 16, 2002, 02:14:00 PM »

I have been reading this forum for a few months now. This is really my first post.

A few minutes ago my balls grew big enough to confirm what Opjose was saying about the Live modchip detection.

I have a moded box with an Engimah chip in it, but with all the original software on the harddrive. Until now I have only gone on Live with the mod off, I have never had any trouble.

Now, I am assumming that in your network connections YOU CAN connect to xbox live, not play, but connect or handshake.

I loaded up MotoGp from the Live disc with my mod off...xbox live came up fine. I then turned my system off and switched my mode chip on and rebooted with MotoGp from the Live disc. After you enter your password, Live will never come up and send you to the network troubleshooter. Which, will still detect all your network settings and handshake with Live.  I turned my system off again, switched my modchip off, turned my system on, then loaded MotoGp from the Live disc....I connected to the Live game fine.....NO SERIAL NUMBER BLOCKING!!!!

Thanks to Opjose for the great work he did.                                    

LumbraX

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2002, 02:25:00 PM »

He is correct. NO QUESTIONS ABOUT IT!    :beer:  :beer:

bornonce

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2002, 02:36:00 PM »

QUOTE (korp @ Nov 16 2002, 09:07 PM)
I connected to the Live game fine.....NO SERIAL NUMBER BLOCKING!!!!

That's because you didn't do this during the Beta testing period, where many have had their XBOX disabled, and STILL disabled. Just because it is not happening now doesn't mean that it didn't happen earlier, and MS has probably changed the configurations of the servers.

They can't connect through the DASHBOARD. Don't you get it? INSTANTANEOUS rejection. On my modded box, and on several others, something prevents them from sending anything to the server.

It was probably a BIG error on MS's part that this happened during Beta testing. The cat is out of the bag. MS now has a BIG headache that they probably would have preferred not to have to deal with, particularly when it is compounded by all of the normal issues when you attempt a major network rollout.

opjose is now starting to rephrase exactly what other people have been saying for a week.                                    

korp

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2002, 02:38:00 PM »

I was a Beta Tester, but I wasn't stupid enough to turn my modchip on...  :D                                      

bornonce

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2002, 02:43:00 PM »

Which, will still detect all your network settings and handshake with Live.

Not on the DISABLED xboxes that the Beta testers have. MS is apparently no longer disabling xboxes (just imagine the negative publicity if MS did this to thousands of xboxes, requiring the owner to either but a new xbox or "send it in for repairs"). But there are dozens of modded boxes out there now that are not finishing the connection from the xbox. It has nothing to do with a serial number database; the box has been disabled at the box itself!

Consider yourself very fortunate that MS screwed up and did this during Beta testing. Otherwise, your xbox would be premanently banned from Xbox Live regardless of WHICH server you try to connect to.                                    

korp

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2002, 02:44:00 PM »

Think about it, MS isn't going to block serial numbers. You don't think they read these forums? They know that people know how to change there serial numbers. The best thing they can do is simply to block mods and require you to disable it to play and use an original disc.

If they block serial numbers they are going to end up with customer returns at stores, duplicate serial numbers from people who have changed them and so on.

CHances are there is a bug on there servers causing some problem. I've been working in the manufacturing/development industry for about 10 years now and I've seen it all.....software bugs can cause alot of weird problems and sometimes they take weeks to fix.                                    

korp

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2002, 02:51:00 PM »

QUOTE (bornonce @ Nov 16 2002, 04:36 PM)
(just imagine the negative publicity if MS did this to thousands of xboxes, requiring the owner to either but a new xbox or "send it in for repairs").

You over estimate PR.  Nobody including media gives two shits if a moded x-box can get onto live. You make up 1 percent of people that go on live.
I can see it now.

REUTERS:

MS bans moded xboxes!! OH THE HUMANITY!                                    

LumbraX

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2002, 02:52:00 PM »

QUOTE (bornonce @ Nov 16 2002, 09:29 PM)
I connected to the Live game fine.....NO SERIAL NUMBER BLOCKING!!!!

That's because you didn't do this during the Beta testing period, where many have had their XBOX disabled, and STILL disabled. Just because it is not happening now doesn't mean that it didn't happen earlier, and MS has probably changed the configurations of the servers.

They can't connect through the DASHBOARD. Don't you get it? INSTANTANEOUS rejection. On my modded box, and on several others, something prevents them from sending anything to the server.

It was probably a BIG error on MS's part that this happened during Beta testing. The cat is out of the bag. MS now has a BIG headache that they probably would have preferred not to have to deal with, particularly when it is compounded by all of the normal issues when you attempt a major network rollout.

opjose is now starting to rephrase exactly what other people have been saying for a week.

Opjose is CORRECT.   :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

And korp we make about 12% of all the people that go online with Xbox Live.  ;)

bornonce

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2002, 02:58:00 PM »

QUOTE (korp @ Nov 16 2002, 09:37 PM)
CHances are there is a bug on there servers causing some problem.

There has not been ONE report from a Beta tester who used either never-enabled modchip or an unmodded box during the Beta period that have this problem. This happened in about a three-day span. The box does not connect to xbox live from the dashboard, and INSTANTANEOUSLY says "XBox Live not found". It has nothing to do with the servers. There is nothing they can do at the servers to fix this problem. The boxes so disabled do not try to communicate to the servers. MS will have to either tell you how to remove whatever they put on your xbox (but then they couldn't use it in the future, which was probably their plan), or "repair" it for free, ignoring the fact that your box is modified. They will probably just hope that the issue goes away because those with disabled boxes give up and buy a new one.                                    

Zander

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2002, 03:03:00 PM »

Wow bornonce, you sure have alot of information considering you have not tested a damn thing at a network level.

Why then, that boxes that get "blocked" as you say DO contact XBL servers but the kerberos session is never fully completed to even allow for a dropped session?

Also why then, do non-modded new boxes have the same exact issue shown in the packet sniffs?

Z

korp

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2002, 03:10:00 PM »

Zander, you beat me to it but I was going to say something on that line...

Doesn't Opjose have a un-modded unit that won't connect?

It will turn out to be a server problem....there are always problems when something new like this is released.

Zander

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2002, 03:13:00 PM »

Yes, he does.

Z                                    

bornonce

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2002, 03:23:00 PM »

QUOTE (Zander @ Nov 16 2002, 09:56 PM)
Why then, that boxes that get "blocked" as you say DO contact XBL servers

That's just it . They DON'T contact the XBL servers. opjose obviously doesn't have an xbox that has this problem. Lucky him. Network negotiations take several seconds. If it was an authentication issue it would retry until it timed out. The rejection on our boxes is INSTANTANEOUS. There is NO network activity as indicated by my switch that connects the xbox and the cable modem. It will negotiate with the ISP servers, DHCP, automatic DNS, etc. but it stops at the xbox live connection step and quits. These boxes have been well documented in this forum and elsewhere. This started happening during BETA testing and not to the people who went online with the retail package early. It happened to a few of the Beta testers who might have unfortunately connected to the wrong server at the wrong time. Who knows what MS personnel were doing with the server configurations during the Beta test, or if all of the servers were configured the same (not likely)? It was probably human error that screwed up one of the servers, and the MS built-in hooks to possibly deal with modded boxes in the future was accidentally enabled. Based upon my 15 years of server and network experience, that seems very likely.                                    

clifface

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2002, 03:26:00 PM »

It is still amazing me how many people are coming on here spouting their ideas even after opjose has done all the work to support what he is saying.                                      

korp

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2002, 03:36:00 PM »

Obviously someone didn't read all of Opjose posts....