xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Xbox Live Working With Modded Xbox!  (Read 974 times)

opjose

• Archived User
Xbox Live Working With Modded Xbox!
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2002, 03:29:00 PM »

Ok folks:

I spent quite a bit of time trying to find out what the heck was going on.

There are -TWO- levels of problems.

1 - The "can't connect" connectivity issue.

I still have no idea why this happens, but it seems to definitely be a Kerberos problem.

If you go into the Xblive control panel and try the connectivity test, you SHOULD see all the icons appear with no RED ICON.

If you get a single red icon at the bottom, you have the connectivity problem.

I have been unable to get past this on afflicted machines with or without mod chips installed.

2 - The actual game play issue if connectivity test is ok.

If you have connectivity and try to fire up, say MOTOGP Online from the retail disk, the very first time you launch it you WILL be connected (mod chip or no mod chip) and you will be notified that an update is required.

The update downloads some new code to your Xbox which adjusts the connection servers for the game you are trying to launch.

In all cases, mod chip or no, kerberos authentication does occur.

-AND- (drum role please) the downloaded code -DOES INDEED- detect mod chips!

Once the download has occurred you can SWITCH OFF the mod chip and revert back to the OEM BIOS.

IF YOU DO, XBLive does work fine on your modded machine, EVEN if you have replaced the console with Evolution-X!

So, yes, I'm eating it a bit on this one. The downloaded "checker" code was new to me until I had a chance to see it in action.

NaughtyNu

• Archived User
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2002, 03:35:00 PM »

So both groups ("The servers are screwed" and the "It's detecting mods") are actually right and wrong?  Oh great...

So what about us poor saps who have attempted to log on today and failed because we have an X-ecuter installed?  Would a switch help this late in the game?

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2002, 03:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (bearauto @ Nov 15 2002, 10:35 PM)
OK, I'm confused about this part:

Once the download has occurred you can SWITCH OFF the mod chip and revert back to the OEM BIOS.

IF YOU DO, XBLive does work fine on your modded machine, EVEN if you have replaced the console with Evolution-X!

Are you saying that you're supposed to switch OFF the modchip and then after the download, you can switch ON the modchip and it'll connect to LIVE just fine?

No. Yeah that portion is confusing.

You can have the mod chip on or off during the update. It doesn't matter.

Once the update is done, you -MUST- switch off the mod chip and put the retail game in the drive.

Again, as long as connectivity works the games play just fine!

Bottom line:

MS is detecting the mod chip and backups ONLY for ON-LINE play.

You will NOT be banned if you try to connect from a modded machine. You will merely be unable to play.

Turn off the mod, and XBLive works fine. Since you can boot from CD with the mod chip switched off, this is VERY GOOD news for people with older mod chips!

I'm still testing some software changes.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2002, 03:44:00 PM »

QUOTE (NaughtyNu @ Nov 15 2002, 10:35 PM)
So both groups ("The servers are screwed" and the "It's detecting mods") are actually right and wrong?  Oh great...

So what about us poor saps who have attempted to log on today and failed because we have an X-ecuter installed?  Would a switch help this late in the game?

Yeap, and that is what was confusing!

There are TWO seperate issues.

There is something wrong with the servers vis-a-vis certain serial numbers, but this does NOT seem to be an issue with blocked machines, rather a server problem as Kerberos is not authenticating.

On a working machine with the mod chip switched on, kerberos accepts the machine authentication, but the in-game connection is rejected.

Turn off the mod chip and the in game connection is accepted after the game reports back on it's attempt to re-read the CD. This also means a CD check is being executed by SIGNED code.

There may be some hope of working around the result codes and modifying the games to reply that they have both received the update and that they are reading the CD correctly with MODDED systems.

This would mean a PATCH for the games that would have to be applied AFTER the update via XBLive runs. But it does mean potential workarounds.

alee132

• Archived User
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2002, 03:45:00 PM »

opjose, I thanks you for you hard work and the hard work of others, I don't know much about the techy side of xbox.  All i need to know is if I get xbox live kit, and then turn off my mod chip to install it and never have my mod chip on when going live, then I can play live with the retail disks?

DEEZNUTZ

• Archived User
« Reply #95 on: November 15, 2002, 03:46:00 PM »

But then why the hell can't I connect after installing a switch, disabling it and using Retail XBL???  I have an old executer and ever since Tuesday....all I get is "XBOX LIVE NOT CONNECTING" error.  Help me understand please!  I can't get past this error on the dashboard....I always get it even with the chip disabled.  I feel banned.

Ace25

• Archived User
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2002, 03:49:00 PM »

wink.gif I know, you can't play all the games, not as many features.. but you can't beat the price now can you? M$ just lost my $50 because of this, I was all ready to buy a kit after I read the fallout first. I am glad I did wait, seems lame M$ is going to give people hassle that installed a mod so they could play some MP3's. There will be a work around, always is...

alee132

• Archived User
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2002, 03:51:00 PM »

deeznuts, your box has already been banned is my guess, you needed to have it disabled.  I guess it is really shitty though because what if you forget to turn off the mod one time and that's it for your xbox.  I hope this is all a dream I can wake up from.

bearauto

• Archived User
« Reply #98 on: November 15, 2002, 03:51:00 PM »

QUOTE (DEEZNUTZ @ Nov 15 2002, 10:46 PM)
But then why the hell can't I connect after installing a switch, disabling it and using Retail XBL???  I have an old executer and ever since Tuesday....all I get is "XBOX LIVE NOT CONNECTING" error.  Help me understand please!  I can't get past this error on the dashboard....I always get it even with the chip disabled.  I feel banned.

I'm thinking instead of you being banned, because you tried to access LIVE with a modchip ON, LIVE sent you some code that now prevents your system from connecting...it's not a matter of banning; just being stopped by your own xbox.--which is why your xbox wouldn't connect even with the modchip OFF.

Just a theory, without any facts to back it up...take it for what it's worth.

andreo

• Archived User
« Reply #99 on: November 15, 2002, 03:51:00 PM »

So I would guess that people with a switch could get past the boot part of a backup and turn off the mod? I would think that the console is not communicating with the live service until you tell it go on-line.

Either way, great news.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2002, 03:54:00 PM »

QUOTE (alee132 @ Nov 15 2002, 10:45 PM)
opjose, I thanks you for you hard work and the hard work of others, I don't know much about the techy side of xbox.  All i need to know is if I get xbox live kit, and then turn off my mod chip to install it and never have my mod chip on when going live, then I can play live with the retail disks?

Bottom line:  YES!

As long as your connectivity is ok.

DEEZNUTZ

• Archived User
« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2002, 04:01:00 PM »

"opjose, I thanks you for you hard work and the hard work of others, I don't know much about the techy side of xbox.  All i need to know is if I get xbox live kit, and then turn off my mod chip to install it and never have my mod chip on when going live, then I can play live with the retail disks?

Bottom line: YES!

As long as your connectivity is ok. "

What if I get no connectivity with a switch turned off???

bearauto

• Archived User
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2002, 04:02:00 PM »

Opjose, what ever happened to your modded xboxes that were able to play REVOLT on LIVE, with the modchips still ON?

And what do you think of my little theory? (see a couple of posts above)

originalbadboy

• Archived User
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2002, 04:21:00 PM »

Hey all .....

Here is a question for 'Opjose'

I dont know a great deal about 'Kerborose' secuirty (although I should , being an MSCE and all !)  but isnt part of the security system time based.  

I seem to remember that part of kerborse is to check the time of packets going to and fro to make sure that someone isnt trying to send fake packets ... Thats how I alsways understond it anyway ...

If that is the case , is it possible that the internal time on a XBOX could be getting screwed up , by either Evox or possibly another program (that MS has put on the machine).  I know the XBOX is renowned for its problem with keeping time , which is why EVOx has an option to connect to an SNTP server ...

I am just wondering if MS has a similar SNTP check in its own software , which is somehow screwing it up ...

Just a Theory of course .................

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2002, 04:33:00 PM »

QUOTE (bearauto @ Nov 15 2002, 11:02 PM)
Opjose, what ever happened to your modded xboxes that were able to play REVOLT on LIVE, with the modchips still ON?

And what do you think of my little theory? (see a couple of posts above)

My modded Xboxes are still able to get onto REVOLT.

The new RETAIL XBLive games will not work on them UNLESS I turn off the mod chip.

Interesting eh?

The "update" that you receive upon the first connection performs the mod chip/cd detection.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11