xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xm Radio...  (Read 40 times)

msn25

• Archived User
Xm Radio...
« on: May 17, 2003, 08:59:00 AM »

Im just wanting to get people's opinions on the service.  I really haven't heard anything about the service...if its any good, if its a terrible service...whats up!  Also, can you get local stations with the subscription??

Any comments would be great!

headhntrthx

• Archived User
Xm Radio...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 11:46:00 AM »

No local stations, now or probably ever. Notice I did not say never! They create all of their own content, at least on the music channels. There are also channels that are commercially created like CNN, Playboy, ... I sell the service and think it is awesome. $10 per month is not to bad of a price if yu spend much time in your vehicle. The next big thing for radio will be a receiver that has a hard drive. Yes, that is right, a hard drive to have TIVO like features. No more parking and not getting to hear your favorite song tht just started. You will be able to tell the radio to record it and when you get back into the car it is waiting for you to play. Rewind features, pause, .... Anybody who has a Personal Video Recorder (PVR) or TIVO, knows just how great this is. It totally changes the way you watch TV, and it will do the same to the radio. Anyway back to XM or Serious Satellite Radio, you can be guaranteed to hear the songs you like, in a digital quality, and commercial free. Even the stations that have comercials seem to be commercial free. A typical commercial may be "This half hour is being sponsored by XBoX-Sceen, your online answers to XboX modification questions and general XboX issues." The comercials are suttle and are virtually slipped in without the listener even realizing he just heard a commercial or plug for a product or company.

Megadeth

• Archived User
Xm Radio...
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 11:54:00 AM »

Your best bet to find out which one is the best is to visit there websites and also go to the stores and get brochures on everything they offer. I also think hard drives in cars is gonna be the future.

This post has been edited by Megadeth: May 17 2003, 06:56 PM

headhntrthx

• Archived User
Xm Radio...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2003, 12:03:00 PM »

We will probably see hard drives within the next 16 mnoths. Maybe as soon as the second quarter of '04, but probably just hype about what they will bring. They will probably be one of the BIG new things introduced at the CES  (Consumer Electronics Show) in the second week of January 2004, at Las Vegas.

Megadeth

• Archived User
Xm Radio...
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2003, 12:20:00 PM »

What I wouldn't mind having is a having my car hooked up to wireless access so this way when I'm in my yard can upload my albums straight to the cars hard drive and then choose what i want to listen to from the radio or the Front Tv screen.

Ace25

• Archived User
Xm Radio...
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2003, 01:45:00 PM »

I have 2 receivers, one at home (delphi skyfi) and one in my car, and its worth EVERY penny.. Best thing I have bought in a looong time.. And yes, they DO have a couple local stations, just not that many, and chances are, not one your looking for, but other than that its great.. heck, there are 0 local stations where I live, have to drive 50 miles just to get an FM signal, so I am not missing anything ..