xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Xbconnect: Can't Connect To Game In Syslink List  (Read 127 times)

lotw

• Archived User
Xbconnect: Can't Connect To Game In Syslink List
« on: February 24, 2004, 04:21:00 PM »

Have you checked your firewall settings?  Most of the problems using system link tunnells is because the firewall is blocking the ports that are needed.  For XBC I think it is port 48602 that must be opened, but you should go to their website and double check.

[DMD]

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 08:18:00 PM »

I don't have a firewall, so that's not it. My router is setup to allow the ports incoming, so I don't think that's the problem. I don't think I'd be able to see remotely hosted games in the syslink list if the ports were a problem. Maybe not, but my understanding is that all traffic flows over those ports. If that's the case, I shouldn't even be able to see games hosted remotely.

lotw

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 06:45:00 AM »

QUOTE ([DMD] @ Feb 25 2004, 06:18 AM)
I don't have a firewall, so that's not it. My router is setup to allow the ports incoming, so I don't think that's the problem. I don't think I'd be able to see remotely hosted games in the syslink list if the ports were a problem. Maybe not, but my understanding is that all traffic flows over those ports. If that's the case, I shouldn't even be able to see games hosted remotely.

A good way to test to see if the router is the problem is go into the router setting and move your PC that is running the XBC software to the DMZ (No Firewall) part.  Try again, if that works then you know for sure that the firewall is messing you up.

The 4981 doesn't have anything to do with System Link stuff, only blocks the Live requests be giving a network error and I know quite a few people with the same setup you have, except for the dashbaord.

If that still doesn't fix it what game are you trying to play on system link?

[DMD]

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 09:27:00 AM »

My router doesn't have a DMZ mode - this is not your run-of-the-mill DSL router, It is a $800 enterprise grade WAN router. Networking is what I do, so I'm pretty sure this isn't a firewall problem (from an external source I've verified that port 8602 is open and I can connect to it). I don't understand what changes between looking up a system link game, and when the game actually goes into play mode, and why I can see games in the list, but as soon as I try to play them something gets screwed up.

If worse comes to worse, I COULD plug in a spare commodity DSL router I have and put my xbc pc in the DMZ to see if that fixes it, but that's a big pain... oh, and I'm lazy. wink.gif

I'm trying this with Project Gotham Racing 2, and XIII. Any more hints?

lotw

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 12:33:00 PM »

QUOTE ([DMD] @ Feb 25 2004, 07:27 PM)
My router doesn't have a DMZ mode - this is not your run-of-the-mill DSL router, It is a $800 enterprise grade WAN router. Networking is what I do, so I'm pretty sure this isn't a firewall problem (from an external source I've verified that port 8602 is open and I can connect to it). I don't understand what changes between looking up a system link game, and when the game actually goes into play mode, and why I can see games in the list, but as soon as I try to play them something gets screwed up.

If worse comes to worse, I COULD plug in a spare commodity DSL router I have and put my xbc pc in the DMZ to see if that fixes it, but that's a big pain... oh, and I'm lazy. wink.gif

I'm trying this with Project Gotham Racing 2, and XIII. Any more hints?

That is odd, those games have no updates for Live yet so that isn't the problem.  There is something on your network that the software on the PC doesn't like then.  Are you routing that port to the right device?  (I know you said you checked and know what you are doing, but mistakes do happen)  The Xbox isn't the device either, the PC is the one that needs that port.  All the tunnelling software does is make the PC into a router for system link stuff, even if you block your Xbox from being able to go out on the Internet the System Link stuff will still work using the tunnels.  That is what I used to do before the 4980/4981 BIOS came out so I wouldn't get banned.

Corspegrinder99

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »

check firewalls etc. and also be sure that XBC has "found" your xbox(i reccomend using Halo for XBC to find your box)

lotw

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2004, 07:50:00 AM »

QUOTE ([DMD] @ Feb 26 2004, 03:59 PM)
I am routing the port to my PC... I thought maybe I had screwed that up and I tried pointing the IP's to the xbox to see if that was what was going on - obviously that didn't work at all. So I'm pretty sure I've got that sorted.

XBC has found my xbox, that wasn't an issue at all. If my xbox hadn't been found, would I be able to see a game listing from the system link menu in the games? This is what is confusing me so much about this problem - For example, in XII, I go into system link mode, I select join game, it searches for games and finds the game being hosted on XBC. I can select the game, say I'm ready to play, and then the game goes to "Loading" at which point all traffic on the XBC console stops and my system fails to join the game. So weird.

Any more help? smile.gif

Ya, that does sound weird, unless that game has a ping test in it and you have to be within a certain number before letting you join.  I would still try taking the router/firewall out of the picture.  Just in case it has some issues.

$eEnN|i

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2004, 07:56:00 PM »

welll i have the same problem with xbc and fuck gamespy with my new box that won't even detect it. some games i can join others i can't it is wierld. i have no programs running excep the icon for the internet and ethernet

AnThRaX

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 02:02:00 AM »

QUOTE (lotw @ Feb 24 2004, 08:21 PM)
Have you checked your firewall settings?  Most of the problems using system link tunnells is because the firewall is blocking the ports that are needed.  For XBC I think it is port 48602 that must be opened, but you should go to their website and double check.

its 8602 UDP/TCP

triggernum5

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004, 07:53:00 PM »

One thing I've found is that xbconnect won't connect if there is a wireless connection between xbconnect and the xbox.
But if you're seeing xbox traffic I doubt its that..  I just noticed it hadn't been mentioned that I saw.  
Not being able to see certain games is a common glitch for me and everyone.  Perhaps 1/3 games I try to join.  Most games I host have ppl who can't as welll:(

byersjus

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 01:33:00 PM »

It would be great to know what your problem was because I have the exact same issue. I know my router is configured correctly because games appear on the system link list and I can play most of them.  However, Halo and others will just fail at the start.  I can't find the problem, but Halo worked on the previous version of XBC.  The same thing happens for Xlink too.  Aside from features, how does XBC 4.0 differ from its previous version and Xlink?  Maybe that's a clue or perhaps a combination of these applications causes the problem...

blocka

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2004, 03:17:00 AM »

i have the same problem. have only just installed xbc4 so have no prior versions on system and can find sys link games in halo and pgr2 but then when press 'a' and it goes to join it fails on me. i have a wireless router but am hardwiring everything just to be on the safe side and still no joy. has anybody solved this issue?

booyaa

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2004, 03:29:00 AM »

first hint/suggestion: Uninstall winPCAP and install this version http://winpcap.polit...ap_3_1_beta.exe | then reboot your pc. restart xbc (make sure your running this version http://www.planetxbc...BC4INST-232.exe ) and redetect your xbox. if this doesnt work, make sure you have the correct port open and that both udp/tcp are both enabled for that port. I know this is probably a repeat of instructions but try it. Also one of the posts said they get internet traffic but dont get xbox traffic, make sure both udp/tcp are enabled for the port required needed to be open.

If you have any xbl updates, i suggest ditching those and redownloading them when needed because that could also create a conflict for certain games.

edit: you'll need to open port 8602