xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Recommend A Wireless Router  (Read 125 times)

trigger_

• Archived User
Recommend A Wireless Router
« on: September 02, 2003, 07:34:00 AM »

btw forgot to mention, I will still be hard-wiring the Xbox to the router.

feflicker

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2003, 07:40:00 AM »

My friend just go the new linksys, he swears by it. MAC blocking, 128WEP, etc...

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2003, 08:20:00 AM »

I have a Linksys 802.11b 2.4 GHZ wireless router. Works good.

When using a wireless, take all security measures possible.
1) Custom MAC filtering
2) Unique SSID name
3) WEP key

You don't want any punks like Kevin Rose breaking into your network!

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2003, 08:31:00 AM »

QUOTE (trigger_ @ Sep 2 2003, 12:25 PM)
Tks for the advise shanafan, but unless the Indian family next door or the the 95-year old grandmother on the other side decides to tap into my wireless network, I reckon I should be ok.   biggrin.gif

But what about the white mini-van who parks across the street from your house?

You should take the security measures regardless. Better to be safe than sorry!

Its an easy job anyways  cool.gif

RayTwoOneThree

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 02:36:00 AM »

I use a M$ MN-500.The main reason I got it for it looks.But does everythinh else fine!

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 02:28:00 PM »

QUOTE (RayTwoOneThree @ Sep 3 2003, 06:36 AM)
I use a M$ MN-500.The main reason I got it for it looks.But does everythinh else fine!

Water our mouths with a pic then  wink.gif

TonyTurboII

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2003, 09:44:00 PM »

I reccomend D-Link.  They seem to claim faster transfers when using an all D-Link network.  Ive never measured it, but I know it was cheaper than my GFs Linksys, and has given me less problems.

Why would the xbox not be compatible with certain routers?  Routers do little to change the format of data going into the xbox.  Its all just a connection.

rahula

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2003, 10:09:00 PM »

I have SMC wireless router and pretty good with firmware upgrade support. Pretty reliable and hardly reset the system. Don't worry about wireless tapping because I have 6 Mac address controlled via router admin web and it secure as regular cat5 connection.

Rebel-Soul

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2003, 11:44:00 AM »

is wreless slower that normal media? cause i would think if you were using halo online lets say it would cause meore lag if you were not using your normal media

so is it slower or am i just misinformed? huh.gif

zipdoa

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2003, 07:38:00 PM »

QUOTE (Rebel-Soul @ Sep 13 2003, 08:44 PM)
is wreless slower that normal media? cause i would think if you were using halo online lets say it would cause meore lag if you were not using your normal media

so is it slower or am i just misinformed? huh.gif

802.11g transfers at 54MB/s

thats 5.4 Megabytes per second... The only difference you'll notice is if you transfer files in excess of 100 Megs.  even then, it isnt that slow.

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2003, 07:41:00 PM »

QUOTE (shanafan @ Sep 2 2003, 12:31 PM)
QUOTE (trigger_ @ Sep 2 2003, 12:25 PM)
Tks for the advise shanafan, but unless the Indian family next door or the the 95-year old grandmother on the other side decides to tap into my wireless network, I reckon I should be ok.   biggrin.gif

But what about the white mini-van who parks across the street from your house?

You should take the security measures regardless. Better to be safe than sorry!

Its an easy job anyways  cool.gif

exactly.  I always say the best defense is a good offense.  I drove around my neighborhood over the course of a week and made sure i could access everyone's wireless network.  The best "security" i came across was 40 bit WEP.  Which is easily discovered.  No one disabled broadcasting their SSID, no one had mac filtering on (which i would have spoofed anyway), nothing.  God forbid I ever see a rogue mac on my network and trace it back to someone in my list in my neighborhood.  Their network will go down and they won't have a clue what happened.  

My point being, you may know who your neighbors are but you don't know everyone in your neighborhood.  Those with the largest false sense of security usually are the most vulnerable.

EDIT: oh and i recommned the linksys.

cyrusuncc

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2003, 09:28:00 AM »

if your in an apartment, i might rethink getting a wireless network.  So far my experiences have varied with wireless routers.  The problem with mine is there are two other wireless networks in the area and whenever either of those pops up (must be adhoc or something) my connection goes down, even if the laptop is 3 feet from the router.  Really annoying if transfering a large file.  I moved the exact same router and laptop to my office and it works flawlessly.  I've even tried getting several different wireless routers (linksys, buffalo tech, and netgear).  I guess there's just too much interference in my apartment with the cordless phones, microwaves and other wireless networks.

If you've already had one in your apartment then go for it.  Linksys is cool, but don't rule out buffalo tech.  Has same features as linksys but costs less.  I personally don't like netgear or dlink.

Renthal

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2003, 05:23:00 AM »

Rahula, just a heads up for you on your security. If you're only using MAC address authentication then you can be hacked fairly easily. MAC addresses, number 1, are transmitted unencrypted, and number 2, they can be very easily spoofed. You should think about enabling 128-bit encryption as well as a non-broadcast SSID.