xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: XLINK Or XBCONNECT  (Read 287 times)

PuddWakkr

• Archived User
XLINK Or XBCONNECT
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2003, 06:26:00 PM »

I've tried to play on Xlink but there are never any players. I tried today and there were 5 halo games and three of those were locked. Also maybe the service is pretty easy to set up but the first thing  I do when I get a new piece of software is to read the documentation that was included. The BO-XLink that i got from the usual places had no readme's or .nfo's. I suppose all the info is available online somewhere but it's nice to have that stuff in a nice handy 10kb text file and not on a java based IRC page.
My boxlink.ini has nothing in it. I don't know what is supposed to go there. Is there a way to setup my USB keyboard to chat from the box? I think the users will slowly make their way over to Xlink from XBC. I'm not bitching about a free service but there are some improvements that need to be made. Not necessarily with the programs but how they are distributed. XBC walked this complete LAN and Internet noob through the process and I was gaming in 5 min, while I'm still not certain if my XLink is setup properly. The biggest drawback to Xlink is the lack of people. I use these tunnels for System Link games that are not on Live (namely Halo). If I have the option to play on Live I'm there. I try XLink first and there are no games open I'm not gonna sit there for 20 mins and hope someone will join my game or someone will start one up, I'll spend those 20 mins on XBC even with it's extra lag. I'm not trying to bash XLink at all because I have'nt spent any time with it. In fact I wish more people would get on it so I wouldn't have to run downstairs to my computer to get in a game.

^^^ My $0.02 anyway. And I didn't cast a vote either way.

lookformeb

• Archived User
XLINK Or XBCONNECT
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2003, 06:51:00 PM »

QUOTE (u235 @ Sep 7 2003, 04:08 PM)
The advantage to satellite is the bandwidth, which was about 768k down and I believe 128k up at the time.  The obvious disadvantage is the latency inherent with extra terrestrial communication.

thats not all that great of bandwidth.  my cable got 1.5mbps down and 256kbps up... like 40 a month a think...

SniperKilla

• Archived User
XLINK Or XBCONNECT
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2003, 03:59:00 AM »

smile.gif

jz28

• Archived User
XLINK Or XBCONNECT
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2003, 04:54:00 AM »

QUOTE (PuddWakkr @ Sep 21 2003, 10:26 PM)
I've tried to play on Xlink but there are never any players. I tried today and there were 5 halo games and three of those were locked. Also maybe the service is pretty easy to set up but the first thing  I do when I get a new piece of software is to read the documentation that was included. The BO-XLink that i got from the usual places had no readme's or .nfo's. I suppose all the info is available online somewhere but it's nice to have that stuff in a nice handy 10kb text file and not on a java based IRC page.
My boxlink.ini has nothing in it. I don't know what is supposed to go there. Is there a way to setup my USB keyboard to chat from the box? I think the users will slowly make their way over to Xlink from XBC. I'm not bitching about a free service but there are some improvements that need to be made. Not necessarily with the programs but how they are distributed. XBC walked this complete LAN and Internet noob through the process and I was gaming in 5 min, while I'm still not certain if my XLink is setup properly. The biggest drawback to Xlink is the lack of people. I use these tunnels for System Link games that are not on Live (namely Halo). If I have the option to play on Live I'm there. I try XLink first and there are no games open I'm not gonna sit there for 20 mins and hope someone will join my game or someone will start one up, I'll spend those 20 mins on XBC even with it's extra lag. I'm not trying to bash XLink at all because I have'nt spent any time with it. In fact I wish more people would get on it so I wouldn't have to run downstairs to my computer to get in a game.

^^^ My $0.02 anyway. And I didn't cast a vote either way.

www.xboxlink.co.uk

muerte

• Archived User
XLINK Or XBCONNECT
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2003, 05:03:00 AM »

QUOTE (PuddWakkr @ Sep 21 2003, 09:26 PM)
In fact I wish more people would get on it so I wouldn't have to run downstairs to my computer to get in a game.

it's called boxlink wink.gif

PuddWakkr

• Archived User
XLINK Or XBCONNECT
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2003, 05:57:00 AM »

QUOTE (muerte @ Sep 22 2003, 02:03 PM)
QUOTE (PuddWakkr @ Sep 21 2003, 09:26 PM)
In fact I wish more people would get on it so I wouldn't have to run downstairs to my computer to get in a game.

it's called boxlink wink.gif

Uhh yeah? If you notice my original post it says I've already downloaded boxlink. Then i go on to say how there are no games going so i'm forced to go downstairs to my computer and play xbc.

jz28

• Archived User
XLINK Or XBCONNECT
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2003, 06:09:00 AM »

start one and wait for someone.

Or, go into wgn mode and do the same...

it has to start somewhere you know...

lookformeb

• Archived User
XLINK Or XBCONNECT
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2003, 01:57:00 PM »

blink.gif

crashnet2000

• Archived User
XLINK Or XBCONNECT
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2003, 02:00:00 AM »

how do i host game and how do i join? i dont understand really how it works.

jz28

• Archived User
XLINK Or XBCONNECT
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2003, 04:14:00 AM »

QUOTE (crashnet2000 @ Sep 29 2003, 06:00 AM)
how do i host game and how do i join? i dont understand really how it works.

um... blink.gif

go to the website and read...uh...for starters...

www.xboxlink.co.uk

jz28

• Archived User
XLINK Or XBCONNECT
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2003, 04:15:00 AM »

QUOTE (MaximusBernie @ Sep 23 2003, 06:43 PM)
Will any of these services ever offer the ability to play games that are only 'live' enabled? Like say ESPN Game Day Football 2004? I'd love to WHOOP on sombodies ass at that!!

mad.gif FOOTBALL!!

I really dont see it happening.

unlikely

• Archived User
XLINK Or XBCONNECT
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2003, 11:05:00 AM »

QUOTE (jz28 @ Sep 29 2003, 01:15 PM)
QUOTE (MaximusBernie @ Sep 23 2003, 06:43 PM)
Will any of these services ever offer the ability to play games that are only 'live' enabled? Like say ESPN Game Day Football 2004? I'd love to WHOOP on sombodies ass at that!!

BEST QUESTION EVAR! And the best part you ask about ESPN "Game Day", seriously, do you even own a XBOX?  "Game Day" is a PS2 only game, and ESPN has nothing to do with it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]