xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Eeprom Flagging  (Read 120 times)

lamby

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« on: June 26, 2003, 01:16:00 PM »

ok...so i've read a few threads on here now....and i'm totally confused....

some say that to use xbox live with a moddeed xbox all you need is the modchip turned off!

whereas another post i've read claims that if you at any time click the xbox live tab in the ms dash, with the modchip on, it flags the eeprom as being modded...and ban's you as soon as you connect....

i got my xbox modded...and during the update...i somehow acquired an xbox live dash...although there are no accounts or anything set up...and i am pretty sure i've pressed most of the tabs (in fact i'm almost certain) while my mod has been active...

does this mean if i get a starter kit and try and setup xbox live...i'll get banned straight away or not???

any help would be great!

Neeero

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2003, 01:20:00 PM »

I was asking the same question about the whole EPROM being flagged theory (which was supposively proven in a big post way back).

The real trouble is nobody wants to risk an XBOX Live banning to find out.

lamby

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2003, 01:34:00 PM »

that's probably the thread i was reading...its like nov '02....and its like 30 pages most of which isn't v.informative....

and the pinned topic doesn't mention it at all!
sad.gif

lamby

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2003, 04:34:00 AM »

*bump*

darylzero

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2003, 07:48:00 AM »

Just to add more flimsy theories to this thread an fuck it all up.

The EEPROM does get flagged and sent if you are connected to the internet and go online with xbox live.
If you are not connected to the internet, then the EEPROM can't go anywhere and as long as the cable is unplugged you will not be banned the next time you go on to live.

Neeero

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2003, 11:03:00 AM »

The EEPROM does get flagged and sent if you are connected to the internet and go online with xbox live.
If you are not connected to the internet, then the EEPROM can't go anywhere and as long as the cable is unplugged you will not be banned the next time you go on to live.

Do a search on the forum for the original post.  Here is what it basically said:

If you ever access the updated xbox live dash board with your mod chip enabled, whether your xbox is conneted to the internet or not, your EEPROM will be flagged.  Next time you try to access live, some kind of info is sent to the server and in turn, your EEPROM will be banned.

This was said by someone who said he had experimented and had 3 xbox's banned.

If you really want to test this theory, and feel that you are 100% safe with the cable unplugged try accessing the xbox live feature in the ms dashboard with your mod chip on and the able unplugged.  There hasn't been any hard proof of any of these theories and they are just generally accepted because nobody wants to risk the trouble of getting banned from live.

lamby

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2003, 11:13:00 AM »

QUOTE (Neeero @ Jun 27 2003, 08:03 PM)
This was said by someone who said he had experimented and had 3 xbox's banned.

If you really want to test this theory, and feel that you are 100% safe with the cable unplugged try accessing the xbox live feature in the ms dashboard with your mod chip on and the able unplugged.  There hasn't been any hard proof of any of these theories and they are just generally accepted because nobody wants to risk the trouble of getting banned from live.

i didn't realise the guy claimed to have tried it with 3 xboxes! hmmm...ok...well...maybe i'll give it a go....if the worst comes to the worst...i'll have to buy another xbox....but then i'd have to do that to play live anyways!
 sad.gif

----------edited to add this---------
ok this is gonna sound stupid...but surely if there is some kind of flagging that occurs...(as some people belive) surely then someone somewhere would know how and where (i.e what file the info is written to and how)...and thus would know how to stop it doing that???

hmmmm....more puzzles

shanafan

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2003, 11:22:00 AM »

Get a new, unbanned EEPROM.

lamby

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2003, 11:34:00 AM »

QUOTE (shanafan @ Jun 27 2003, 08:22 PM)

yeah...but i'd just forget about the whole flagging thing....and just get banned again...and again...and again.....at least if i have 2 xboxes...i know 1 will always be ok to play live stuff!

shanafan

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2003, 11:37:00 AM »

QUOTE (lamby @ Jun 27 2003, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (shanafan @ Jun 27 2003, 08:22 PM)

yeah...but i'd just forget about the whole flagging thing....and just get banned again...and again...and again.....at least if i have 2 xboxes...i know 1 will always be ok to play live stuff!

I have my second Xbox just for Live. No worries there with Live. My modded Xbox is still unbanned, and I still do use it for Live once in a great while.

Not to mention I have a spare EEPROM if I make any unfortunate selections...

lamby

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2003, 11:41:00 AM »

yeah..i was all prepared to have to buy a second xbox... but i would have liked to know if simply accessing the xbox live tabs..even when you aren't connected (but with mod chip on) would result in a ban..... would have beennice to know for sure!

oh well...maybe one day someone can shed some light on this for certain

shanafan

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2003, 11:52:00 AM »

QUOTE (zx25_gt @ Jun 27 2003, 03:48 PM)
why not just backup your eeprom, save it to your pc.  Then unplug your cable, boot with mod chip on, access live tab, etc, etc.  The eeprom should now be changed if it was going to get changed.  Plug back in cable, reboot with mod on, re-backup your eeprom send that one up to your pc and do a file compare (fc /b file1 file2) to see if they changed.  If they changed you can restore your eeprom and know that you might have been banned.

No, its the still the same EEPROM. Once you connect to Live with that EEPROM, it is banned. Even the backup too. Because, they are the same.

For example, MS bans the serial number of your Xbox. The EEPROM is made up of a few parts, one being the serial number. The EEPROM on your Xbox and on your PC have the same information, like the serial number.

lamby

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2003, 11:53:00 AM »

QUOTE (zx25_gt @ Jun 27 2003, 08:48 PM)
why not just backup your eeprom, save it to your pc.  Then unplug your cable, boot with mod chip on, access live tab, etc, etc.  The eeprom should now be changed if it was going to get changed.  Plug back in cable, reboot with mod on, re-backup your eeprom send that one up to your pc and do a file compare (fc /b file1 file2) to see if they changed.  If they changed you can restore your eeprom and know that you might have been banned.

that would suggest that your actual EEPROM was altered....wheras i was lead to belive the flag was on the hdd....hmmmmm

soo many different stories!

shanafan

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2003, 12:13:00 PM »

that would suggest that your actual EEPROM was altered....wheras i was lead to belive the flag was on the hdd....hmmmmm

Yeah, and I guess my tutorial here, and how much I post here means I know little about Live. Thanks lamby

lamby

• Archived User
Eeprom Flagging
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2003, 12:22:00 PM »

QUOTE (shanafan @ Jun 27 2003, 09:13 PM)

Yeah, and I guess my tutorial here, and how much I post here means I know little about Live. Thanks lamby

hehe...i wasn't getting at you.. i didnt see your post when i was typing mine  tongue.gif
.. i personally have absolutley no knowledge of how things work with live.....
hence my asking about this EEPROM flagging issue... just everyone seems to tell a different story....

and i didn't think it was mentioned at all in your tutorial???
Pages: [1] 2