xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Problem With Neo Packet Number Logging  (Read 67 times)

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
Problem With Neo Packet Number Logging
« on: January 04, 2003, 06:36:00 PM »

ok, the NEO program adjusts itself to the cpu of the computer using it.  the slower the cpu, the easier and quicker the calculations it has to do are.  so, in terms of logging in their stats, a person with a 400mhz can beat out someone with a 3ghz pc.  even though the 3ghz pc is more helpful because it does more work.  that kind of cheased me off that some idiot with a slow pc gets more recognition than many others with good pc's.

think that it's unfair and needs to be addressed.

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2003, 07:42:00 PM »

it's not that hard to resolve.  why not calculate by mhz * time??  then you could easily tell who contributed more.  this is how it'd work.

600mhz * 3.2 hours = 1920
2500mhz * 1 hour = 2500

that's a lot more accurate if you ask me.

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2003, 07:53:00 PM »

the only thing they can say againt this method is what they do for pc's that don't have a recognizable cpu.  so, this is what you do for this program.

[(average MOPS) * (Total CPU TIME)] = score

that would work, and would work based on already calculated variables in the program.

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2003, 08:29:00 PM »

well, it does considering the top 5 people get a free xbox.  i would just piss me off to see some of these people win it, when i have 3 pc's going non-stop on this, and i see someone with one pc that's slower than mine 10x more than me!  it just pisses me off.

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2003, 08:55:00 PM »

lol.  i can get about 250 at my university.  tongue.gif

Beantown

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2003, 12:10:00 AM »

It's not that simple.

I have two identical machines with one exception: one is a 1700+ AMD, and the other is a 1800+ AMD.
The 1800+ machine does 30-50 times the 1700+ machine.
Also, I have a 850 coppermine, P4 1.8, and Dual AMD 1.2.
So 4 of the machines seem to get credit (units) proportional to the MOPS's.  But for some undetermined reason, the 1800+ is getting a ton more credit per MOP.
Bottom line is....the fastest of 5 machines got the easiest jobs???....

Cheers

Beantown

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2003, 12:39:00 AM »

It's worse than I thought!

The user stats.....Processor descriptions keep changing, and are not correct most of the time.  A couple hours ago they seemed close...now they are hosed...totally.

Beantown

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2003, 12:42:00 AM »

Anyone have the forum links at neoproject?  Last I checked the home page was down for construction and I don't have a forum history in my browser.

TIA

btw...Anyone think there are some optimizations to be set on your machine to get those fast numbers?  The fastest is my main machine at home and I do "F" around with it ALOT!

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2003, 12:57:00 AM »

yeah.  once it said i was running a 120mhz.  then said i was running an amd dual cpu.  and all sorts of shit.  it doesn't work too well.  in any case, the site addy is:

www.theneoproject.com

spread the word to EVERYONE!

Beantown

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2003, 01:10:00 AM »

How do you get over 36,000 completed packets with less than a 1/10000th of a year cpu time???  That is less that an hour??  site statistics are definitely hosed for now.
That #1 ranker is running a PIII 550 for gosh sakes.
Will just have to hit the forums tomorrow.

Great stuff though...now a little luck (a lot actually) and MS will have to change their key!

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2003, 01:15:00 AM »

dude.  it gives varying difficulties.  i told you.  my 600mhz gets problems that get solved in 1.8seconds, and my 2.4ghz has problems that take 30 minutes to do.

of course my slow one shows better.  they should really change it to just cpu hours instead of # of packets since packet difficulties vary big time.

Beantown

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2003, 08:57:00 AM »

I suppose it has to be varying difficulties, however, ther is no rhime or reason to how they distribute the different difficulties.

Just for the hell of it, last night I printed top 100 a few times and watched a toofans go screaming by my 5 processors in 15 minutes with 2 good (not slow or great) nodes.   WTF???

I wish some donated hardware to the project to get their forum pages usable.

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2003, 10:26:00 AM »

i know.  i had a 2.4ghz, a 1.7ghz, and a 600mhz pc.  and some guy with a 550mhz p4 beat me out completely!  this is bullshit.  they should get it fixed.  it's in human nature to compete and try to be the best.  they should take advantage of that by making a real rating system to show who has contributed most.  if they do that, i may put over 100 nodes on my account to get this done.