xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Weird Modchip Switch Question  (Read 91 times)

ozweepay

• Archived User
Weird Modchip Switch Question
« on: November 24, 2002, 02:23:00 PM »

What wires did you put the switch on?

tgenius

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 02:26:00 PM »

15 and 21, as every instruction explained.

Joe123

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 02:31:00 PM »

let us know how things work out. I am going to do the exact same thing you did, with an enigmah also. Let me know if you cannot install a switch with enigmah, or it is someting that you did wrong.

tgenius

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2002, 03:21:00 PM »

Joe-I don't think its anything that I did wrong, in fact, we checked the connections on every wire, but seeing as the enigmah has 29, and the newer chips are 9 wire, it just might make more sense to go for the newer chip. Anyone have any advice?

joeflux

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2002, 05:20:00 PM »

While you were soldering you might have droped solder and caused a short on the video path of any kind.  In the past when I have soldered I have accidentaly done this and cause small shorts. Then I go back and clean the solder out and fix it. Good luck.

justinjas

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2002, 11:44:00 PM »

Hey, I've had this same problem with the enigmah final on my box.  Your enigmah chip is most likely fine.  The problem with mine is that one of the wires came loose when I installed the switch.  I don't know exactly which wire it was but I know I got the exact same problem (no video) and it was a wire that was connected to the switch so that should narrow it down to 15 and 21 for you.  Also you do know that you need a double throw switch, basically just two switches to disable each wire but with one toggle.  I would also try by passing your switch, maybe its bad.  Hope this helps.

jamminj606

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2002, 11:47:00 PM »

It sounds like you have a bad/loose soldering point.  Did the enigma work before you put the switch in?

Another possible problem may be the type of switch you used.  You have to put each wire on a different switch, or put them on seperate lines on a dpdt(6 post) switch.  Make sure your wires are well connected to the switch too.

Joe123

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2002, 12:42:00 AM »

i thought that when you install a switch, after you already have the mod installed, you dont need to solder. you can just cut the two wires, (15 and 21), attach the two wires from the chip to the middle 2 pins, and the two from the xbox motherboard to the on position pins. If soldering is required to attach the wires to the switch can u let me know (cause i suck at it).

justinjas

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2002, 12:51:00 AM »

you don't have to solder, but I would.  Even if your horrible at soldering, it shouldn't be too hard to solder to the switch pins, those things are pretty big.  You could just wrap it around and make sure it makes good contact, just be careful you don't pull the wires off the mother board when your doing all this.

tgenius

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2002, 06:24:00 AM »

I did use a DPDT switch. This is the way I wired it:

X Z S
X Y R

The Xs are NOT wired. Z is point 15, Y is point 21, S is point 15 to the enigmah, R is point 21 to the enigmah, is this not correct?

terabeast

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2002, 07:35:00 AM »

Last week, I did the same thing and had the same problem.  Turns out you need the original MS dashboard loaded as default on your xbox.  My dash had the progressive scan patch, so of course with the mod off, nothing happened due to the unsigned code.  You can't have evox be the default dashboard either.  Remove the evox xbe from your hard drive and load back the original MS dashboard that you should of saved way back when this all started.  If you want evox, you'll have to load it from DVD-R or CD-RW.  Hope this helps.

tgenius

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2002, 02:37:00 PM »

Does anyone else have any other insight? The other thing I noticed, is when the switch is set to on, the xbox turns on.. I just don't see video or hear anything... don't know if that means anything.

Joe123

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2002, 12:44:00 AM »

ok, well I dont have anything loaded to my hd (no evox....), so hopefully, I wont have this problem. Ill let you know how it works out.

shanafan

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2002, 01:03:00 AM »

wrong board