xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Tut/idea---free 2nd Virtual Xbox!  (Read 112 times)

opjose

• Archived User
Tut/idea---free 2nd Virtual Xbox!
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2002, 03:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (PillMonster @ Nov 21 2002, 10:12 PM)
Again, with a little bit of electronic wizardry you can use the LED on the back of the Xbox (ethernet connection indicator) to disable/enable the mod. When your network connection is active = no mod, inactive = mod. This is the only way I could think to avoid muppet siblings/cohabitors of getting you banned. Ok, it means you can't FTP from your PC to Xbox, but you can still use/copy from DVD to HD.
Just a thought, sorry if I'm repeating myself.

Omikron's solution is a bit more "elegant".

He's talking about swapping out EEPROM's in exactly the same manner we swap out bios chips.

Not a bad solution at all.

It may also require a bit of a bios hack to enable the same HD key to be used by both EEPROM's.

But imagine the fallout. Eveyone could be used one banned EEPROM when offline for anonimity, and non-banned, "generated" ones when on line.

MS would see a HELL of a lot of authentication attempts from ONE banned machine coming from IP's all over the internet.

I'd love to see the security guys faces when they start realising that this is happening. It would be classic.

PillMonster

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2002, 03:25:00 PM »

Am I right in saying that this still involves some form of hardware switch? The only reaason I suggest my method is because it doesn't - or have I missed something here?

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2002, 03:29:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

Katonta

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2002, 04:40:00 PM »

QUOTE (opjose @ Nov 21 2002, 05:21 PM)
Omikron's solution is a bit more "elegant".

He's talking about swapping out EEPROM's in exactly the same manner we swap out bios chips.

Not a bad solution at all.

It may also require a bit of a bios hack to enable the same HD key to be used by both EEPROM's.

But imagine the fallout. Eveyone could be used one banned EEPROM when offline for anonimity, and non-banned, "generated" ones when on line.

MS would see a HELL of a lot of authentication attempts from ONE banned machine coming from IP's all over the internet.

I'd love to see the security guys faces when they start realising that this is happening. It would be classic.

whooowhooo, I'd love to be there to see that too...

david123

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2002, 04:11:00 AM »

Pillmonster: I don't think the Network-trick will work. When you ever run the updated dash -even without a network connection- and the dash detects a modchip it will set some kind of a flag, next time when you connect to xbl -modchip switched off- the flag will betray you and you can't connect to xbl.

If this is done in the EEPROM, switching to another HD also won't help. (If they start to include Modchip-detection in game xbe's which isn't really diff. to do. I know, I already mentioned this a few msg's ago)

Although, Using another HD in combination with a second EEPROM seems a very good idea.
Pages: 1 2 [3]