xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: You'll All Be Mad, But Screw Xbconnect!  (Read 76 times)

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
You'll All Be Mad, But Screw Xbconnect!
« on: November 18, 2002, 09:36:00 AM »

Xbconnect is an OK program.  but it's filled with only halo servers, it's ugly, and it's not user friendly.

A better alternative to xbconnect is good old gamespy!!  www.gamespy.com

you can play ANY game with system link support on it.  [same thing as xbconnect does, but wider game support]

now, for those of you that go try it out, here's something you should know.  If you game supports system link, it WILL work on gamespy!  But there is a good chance it won't be listed amongst the games there.  no problem though.  go to any games room (preferrably halo room since there are a few hundred people there) and create a room with the name of the game you want to play.  it will work that way.

also remember that you can use your headsets with most games.  the registration for gamespy, though it is not necessary at all, is a mere $20 for LIFE!  with all future updates included.  but you don't even need to do that.  anyways.  use gamespy.  it's great.  biggrin.gif  it looks cool, and is user friendly!

Deacon brown

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2002, 10:10:00 AM »

Problem is my dear friend us in the UK can not give our USA buddys an ass wipping because XBC and GS have not come up with a way for us to play each other yet.

So there lys the problem.

No point in me waiting 1hr to play someone on GS or XBC just for it to lag out.

If someone can create a game tunnel that allow's us all to connect would make GS or XBC better than XBL as u would not have to pay a yearly subcription. (except ur Cable or ADSL line lol)

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2002, 10:17:00 AM »

gackt.  yes it can.  the only difference between a pal and ntsc game is the one file, default.xbe.

take a pal dvd rip, and replace the default.xbe file with the ntsc version, and it will work just fine.

as for you up there, what are you talking about?  why can't US play UK?  All you have to do is uncheck "show servers in my country only" to see all servers worldwide.  i'm on a 6.5mpbs/1.1mbps line, and i've hosted many games with 10 players on mechassault, using VOICE!  and no one reported ANY lag at ALL!

explain to me what you mean.  i don't understand howit wouldn't work.

Deacon brown

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2002, 10:30:00 AM »

dude

1st off i am not a tech about xbox, but when i have tried to play halo online with people form USA i could not connect on XBC or GS. I did not know about replacing any files and shit.

So where do i get the files from?

And if you dont have this file what i said was true u cant connect unless there is something ur not telling me?

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2002, 10:33:00 AM »

i have used gamespy to play with people from everywhere including japan, newzeland, and australia.  not to mention many from europe including holland.

anyways, are you using a routeR?  if you are, you have to set yourself to dmz host, or open up certain ports and forward them to your computer.

the important thing to check for before joining a game is the ping.

check the ping between you and the person hosting the game.  you should make sure that your ping isn't more than 250ms.  the lower the better.  I don't understand what problem you're having.  is it that it was laggy for you?  or your xbox wasn't detected by the "tunnel" software"  or you just can't SEE rooms hosted by americans?

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2002, 10:35:00 AM »

and deacon, no.  when i said about changing files, i was mentioning how an ntsc tv can play a pal game with just editing that one file.  you are fine.  don't need to do anything.

btw, have you used gamespy for any pc games at all?

Deacon brown

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2002, 10:42:00 AM »

Ok dude

This is what i get

I have 1meg line with very low ping, i have used game spy to connect for games on my PC.

But i have never been able to connect with halo on Game spy to anyone apart form Pal machines.

So i am not sure if they have updated there servers or something but i have not used GS for a long time, i usally use XBC.

What settings do i have to do again?

Could u PM then to me and when i go home 2night it will try it out.

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2002, 10:49:00 AM »

well i play with it everynight.  i will be back home in about 1 hour.  i could go through it with you then.  my msn is [email protected]

now, hmm...something i'm not sure about is pal working with ntsc.  that is strange.  there should be no difference other than video signals.  so that's why i'm surprised.  i know xbox will launch xbox live in europe, but won't they be connected with the US people?  strange.

well, we'll try it later.

have you installed the tunnel service?  and when your host launches a game, does the tunnel service detect your xbox or not?  if it detects it, then you should be able to get on with no problems at ALL.

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2002, 11:01:00 AM »

ooh, ok.  that's not good.  is that just with halo?  or other games as well??

also, for europeans, do you mostly have multi-system tv's?  i know in some asian countries everyone has multi-system tv's to play pal, ntsc, and secam.

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2002, 01:04:00 PM »

i'm in canada, and don't know many europeans with xbox's.  so that doesn't help

benji

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2002, 01:05:00 PM »

well just jump into a pal room then and see if you can see the game.

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2002, 01:08:00 PM »

there are PAL roomS????

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2002, 01:13:00 PM »

i have xbconnect.  i just think it's gay and never use it since no one plays mech assault on there.

ArMaGeDdOn

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2002, 01:42:00 PM »

bastards....heartless bastards..........i'm sitting here BANNED you know!!!

Deacon brown

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2002, 03:50:00 PM »

I wont the best of both worlds

I know that some games in the USA will not come out over in the UK so that is why i got the chipped xbox.

But now i want XBL so i have to get another xbox