xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Dashboard Update Nukes Xbox!  (Read 730 times)

opjose

• Archived User
Dashboard Update Nukes Xbox!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2002, 09:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (N00bvin @ Oct 12 2002, 03:05 AM)
Wow...all I have to say is only NOW do I see the genius in the yboxdash... before I always thought... why would I ever need to do that?

Yeah a true "hackers" solution, simple, workable but elegant.

I think you are also right in your assessment.

The full release of Whacked runs via Xbox Live, as does the demo. So do the other enabled games. Hmm where is the "original CD checking"?

However the dashboard update screws up Evolution-X installations royally.

It may be that this is not so much a protection mechanism, as it is "malicious oversight".

Someone KNEW this might be problematic if you did not have a MS dash and said "f**K'em" if they can't take a joke.

If anyone claims willful damage, MS points to the XBLive sign up agreement and claims a violation.

I also think that they did indeed think that the V2 hash would have spelled the end of the mod chip scene.

Remember that they practically bankrupted NVIDIA as a result of this. Not a smart thing for them to do to a major supplier in any case.

This cost them a lot of money. It will be some time before they attempt another motherboard redesign. I'll bet that there will not be any until Xbox - 2 comes out.

Xboxer

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2002, 10:20:00 AM »

Ok Im a bit lost here,but anyway..............Im at work and i cant see if my box was messed up by the NBA2k3 dash update.One thing:I got the beta LIVE cd online without the CD key and I have installed it on the HD.it runs fine even when I go to setup a new account.So I guess if you start LIVE that way it wont fuck up ur box?

Ohh I forgot.Opjose,when you restore your C drive do you delete all the files first or you just overwritwe em.I remembwer last time I tryed to do that i had I weird ass glitch on my HD (had about 100 Audio foldwers one inside another.

Gee_UK

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2002, 07:06:00 PM »

hee hee. remember my post? told u this was gonna happen. hmmm. well im using an orginal ms dashboard i dl from the net. i have an xecuter installed with disable switch. will i have any problems??? i dont have evox installed.

electronicfreak

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2002, 10:30:00 PM »

Ok, so I installed the LIVE updated dash and want to get evox to coexist with it. How do I go about doing this. All I get out of this whole post is a lot of worrying. Is what Im looking for possible yet? Please lead me down the right road....

[email protected]

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2002, 11:27:00 PM »

QUOTE (9ign @ Oct 13 2002, 04:10 AM)

What we need is a BIOS generator that will allow the end user to compile their own BIOS with their own boot filename, so it will be different for each user.

That's exactly what SuperFro's FanCBox does.

People are way ahead of you.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2002, 11:28:00 PM »

QUOTE (electronicfreak @ Oct 13 2002, 04:30 AM)
Ok, so I installed the LIVE updated dash and want to get evox to coexist with it. How do I go about doing this. All I get out of this whole post is a lot of worrying. Is what Im looking for possible yet? Please lead me down the right road....

[email protected]

I outlined how to do this in the above posts!

I also posted this on other similiar threads on other groups.

Do what I said and it will work, or better yet flash a ybox bios and don't worry about it at all!

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2002, 01:00:00 AM »

Re: Renaming.

yes this "fixes" things after the update.

You delete the UPDATE.XBE file from the original XboxLive installation disk (the new one) and from any game disks which contain it. This prevents accidentally starting it.

If you place the new XboxLive installation disk in without doing this, after you have restored Evolution-X, you box will be nuked!

Some Xbox enabled games (such as NFL2k3, Whacked, etc.) will also update the dashboard. You'll also need to remove this file from those disks.

In addition you must make sure that no one ever attempts to go into "NEW ACCOUNT" creation. When someone does this (btw: this has already happened to one poster here!) your dashboard gets the update over the internet again, and you are back with a dead MSDASH!

To boil down the problem into it's simplest terms.

XboxLive Update ALWAYS looks at "C:\xboxdash.xbe".

If it is NOT the MS updated dash, your MS dashboard gets totally screwed up.

Even copying it back (alone) from a backup is not enough to fix it, you need to copy the ENTIRE C:\ partition back from the backup to do so.

Paulster

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2002, 04:16:00 PM »

Let me tell you that the same exact thing happened to me.

This is what i did to fix it,
i burned evox 1.8.2812 onto a cdrw with nero using finalize cd and disc-at-once and after i did that, it boots evox fine, i had a friend that was having a problem with dvds for some reason so try the cdrw

if that doesn't work, you might have to format the hard drive and put evox on there again

clifface

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2002, 04:56:00 PM »

i'll give the cd-rw a try, in the past i've had a few issues with them but what the heck.  also i have a few other brand of dvd+rw's that I will try.  MS is starting to be a pain.

N00bvin

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2002, 11:57:00 PM »

From what I noticed, changed the file structure of the C: drive when it did the update, but I'm not so sure anything changed other than the xboxdash.xbe... I guess I could compare file by file just to see... is there an easy way of doing that beside maybe looking at the hex of each file and comparing?  Is there a program that does that?

Obviously the change in the structure wouldn't allow for just putting the dashboard back in... however, what if you change the structure to the original... myself, I'm not too brave to check this by experimenting...

I also seems like it creates another file in the E: drive as well...

I'm wondering all this to see if it would be possible to help some that are screwed, or "simulate" an update, without actually doing it...

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2002, 01:34:00 AM »

QUOTE (N00bvin @ Oct 14 2002, 05:57 AM)
From what I noticed, changed the file structure of the C: drive when it did the update, but I'm not so sure anything changed other than the xboxdash.xbe... I guess I could compare file by file just to see... is there an easy way of doing that beside maybe looking at the hex of each file and comparing?  Is there a program that does that?

Obviously the change in the structure wouldn't allow for just putting the dashboard back in... however, what if you change the structure to the original... myself, I'm not too brave to check this by experimenting...

I also seems like it creates another file in the E: drive as well...

I'm wondering all this to see if it would be possible to help some that are screwed, or "simulate" an update, without actually doing it...

Actually yours was the first hypothesis I tested.

I saved off he new XboxDash before doing anything else, then switched the names and booted the New XBLive CD.

I got the error message.

Fine I though I'll just restore the dash.

Rebooted EvoluX from CD, restored, removed disk.

No MS dash. Error 21, what?

Put on OLD MS dash. Error 21. Huh?

Put on Evolution-X, it boots, cannot drop to the now renamed MS Dash.

Ugh!

At this point I restored everything from the "after update" but before XBLive disk reboot, backup. Everything worked fine.

Tested all of this several times with different combinations to see what was going on.

I NEVER touched E: at all!

After all was said and done, I FanCbox'd a new blue Bios w/yboxdash.xbe support renamed, rebooted and all was fine with one minor exception.

Now when I drop directly from Evol-X to the real MSDash I get visual "streamers" (no this is not a holder from the 60's).

In turn dropping to XbLive and back eliminates it.

Also while I was in there I got rid of that damn annoying XboxLive animation. It really upsets the "balance" of the real dash.

s_lipowitz

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2002, 12:05:00 PM »

QUOTE (opjose @ Oct 14 2002, 12:34 AM)
Also while I was in there I got rid of that damn annoying XboxLive animation. It really upsets the "balance" of the real dash.

Now if only the sound could be fixed when the logo is displayed, you would never even know that there was an animation

I guess I could remove the sound file from the directory, but I havn't tried it so I don't know if it causes any adverse effects.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2002, 12:18:00 AM »

QUOTE (s_lipowitz @ Oct 14 2002, 06:05 PM)
QUOTE (opjose @ Oct 14 2002, 12:34 AM)

Now if only the sound could be fixed when the logo is displayed, you would never even know that there was an animation

I guess I could remove the sound file from the directory, but I havn't tried it so I don't know if it causes any adverse effects.

You can remove the animation file and it works perfectly.

From MSdash to XBLive dash without a pause, and back.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2002, 12:19:00 AM »

QUOTE (scyraxxx @ Oct 14 2002, 04:23 PM)
ohmy.gif  ohh my god something really funny happened to me! i have two hdd the original one and a 80 gig with evox in it and a lot of games i also have switch to turn off my chip every time i wanna go live well to xchange hdd i diconnect the ide cable and blabla. well i finished playing motogp online and i turned off my xbox with the disck inside i left and then came back and decided to play a game that i have on my 80  gig hdd well i xchange the ide cable and then turned on the xbox well i was waiting for evox to come up but i forgot that i left the disc inside and it started doing the update thing so i was like ohhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiit well i din't let him finish  it got like 15% of the progress so i turn it off b4 it finish well i remved the disc and evox boot fine the funny thing is that it didn't do anything my hdd is the same as it was everything is ok and the progress almost got to the half so what do you think..? i had a backup of my c: so i took a look if everything was the same and yes it was so i think i got lucky. biggrin.gif.. it really scared the fuck out of me...

Yeap that's why I said never to boot from that CD without first reburning it and removing the UPDATE.XBE file.

You can also dump the two games to the hard drive and run them from there.

majik655

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2002, 01:25:00 AM »

So to get final on this..
Us enigmah users that CAN flash the bios...

Just flash ybox and change the msxboxdash back to xboxdash.xbe and fix evolutions, ini file to show xboxdash as original..

update and everything should be fine?
as long as I do not start a live game or update while IN evox dash ?  so flip to ms dash board and start update or live cd there?

Thank you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9