xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Dashboard Update Nukes Xbox!  (Read 751 times)

tupac

• Archived User
Dashboard Update Nukes Xbox!
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2002, 01:03:00 AM »

i found the xbox live option in the game.  I fi click on it will it nuke my xbox??  What about if i deleted the dashupdate.xbe, not UPDATE.xbe?

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #121 on: November 17, 2002, 02:45:00 AM »

QUOTE (tupac @ Nov 17 2002, 08:03 AM)
i found the xbox live option in the game.  I fi click on it will it nuke my xbox??  What about if i deleted the dashupdate.xbe, not UPDATE.xbe?

update.xbe is the actual program that performs the update.

the dashupdate.xbe is the 54 meg archive file containing the updates themselves.

Wishi

• Archived User
« Reply #122 on: November 17, 2002, 04:03:00 PM »

I did this accidentally screwing up my dashboard with the update off the CD going wrong.

I also found that I had lost my backup of the original MS dash. Well, I got the original off a friend and starting moving files around to hope it would work. (I'd already installed Live once, and was trying to test mod chip theories etc. and see if I could revert to an older version of Live)

Well, I renamed the xodash folder and moved all of those backed up files out of that folder which was created first time and tried to update again. Luckily it worked.

This may not work for you as I didn't note down exactly what I was doing at the time, however with a little playing about (and pissing myself) it did finally work again.

tupac

• Archived User
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2002, 12:31:00 PM »

why not, it's worth a shot.  If they tell u that a modchip was detected tell them u've heard of software that steals other people's serial numbers and maybe that's the case.

KaoS

• Archived User
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2002, 05:59:00 PM »

Ok question:

If you put in a retail or burned game in the xbox, and DO NOT go into the XBOX live menu within the game, does it still "try" to update the dashboard? Like does it "try" to update the dashboard as soon as the game turns on? Or is only when you select xbox live within the game??

If it is true that it doesn't try to update the dash when the game is turned on, but it does try to update when you select the xblive menu within the game, does the update take place RIGHT when you select the xblive option? Or a few screens (or whatever) after that?

Lets say you download a game, I notice some "groups" are removing the update.xbe from the games themselfs, but some are not? IF you extracted the iso on the HD, removed that file, then made a new ISO out of it, then the game couldn't harm the dash or system at all I am guessing?

I am not to worried about xblive live, think I will buy another xbox that isn't modded to use it.. (If later I feel I want too). I do have the x-ecuter 1.1 mod chip, and evo-dash running... I will not be putting any xblive setup disk in this xbox..

Another silly quesiton, lets take UT for example: if I wanted to play an XBOX LAN, ie 4 xboxes hooked together to play UT Muilitiplayer, I wouldn't need the xblive update, I woudn't see why I would, but just asking...

KaoS

• Archived User
« Reply #125 on: November 19, 2002, 06:35:00 PM »

So what you are saying is that, I don't need to remove any "update.xbe" file in any game, due to I have to ask it to update, then comfirm the update like "Yes I want it to update" blah blah..

If this is true, then really I have nothing to worry about...

KaoS

• Archived User
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2002, 07:06:00 PM »

like I said, if I decide to play on live, then I will just buy an "unmodded" xbox and play retail games.. or whatever, or maybe down the road when all this crap is figured out, get a new xbox with a new chip.. who knows, but for right now, no I don't want to play on live.. heh

monkeycrew

• Archived User
« Reply #127 on: November 25, 2002, 09:05:00 AM »

uhh.gif

hopefully there will be a way to emulate the checksum, or send a fake checksum value in sum way, unfortunately i can not think of a easily implemented method.  maybe possible routing packets thru a terminal computer and having it modify, but not viable for every1.

Haveck

• Archived User
« Reply #128 on: November 27, 2002, 01:31:00 AM »

k, so i read this entire post - that took some time

quick review of my current setup:
matrix chip with 2.5standard
newest evox dash
120g hdd unlocked

through most of this post i was given the impression that as long as an updated ms xboxdash.xbe existed in c:\ and i was booting off a different dash all would be well

thus, i was planning the following changes:
flash bios to x2 4972 final
name dash evoxdash.xbe
restore ms dash and update
---> then i thought i could boot into evox and play the games backed up on my hd on live

but, this post hasn't mentioned the bios checksum until this page, so i suspect it may be new or might simply have been assumed - so if, in fact, a bios checksum would force the need of the origional unmodified bios on boot up...

i have an idea of what steps are then necessary, but i'd like some confirmation,
in addition to what i planned on doing, i'd also need to:
switch matrix to mode3
lock the hd
---> but, then i can only boot origional xblive games when i'm in modchip-off mode

perhaps i'm missing something, but this much to take in at 3am  ;)  i'm realatively new, but i've done a lot of reading into these topics before this post and have found some contradictions - perhaps only between what was the case durning the beta and is the case now

specifically, i'm interested in what methods i'll be able to play xblive games once i purchase it and make the necessary changes - and what changes are necessary to accomplish them

i've read ojrman's tutorial on xblive, but i'm not sure it addresses these questions --- ideally i'd like to play a game backed up to my hd on live, (how)is this possible?

//edit
after more reading i'm seeing there's no solid way to play games off the hd yet, clearly
and most methods for playing backups on dvd are sketchy
going to wait until something tried and true comes along i think

pogopin

• Archived User
« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2002, 04:17:00 AM »

To Haveck :

I think u're right.
your solution, seems to be good.

Just , as you have a 120G HD, you can put all your apps and games on F, and let the C partition like the original retail one.

Just take a bios that load evox.xbe, or sthg  like that, on F, because this partition is not checked by MS.
When on live, boot the original MS bios to avoir any update (banning)
i think this will work.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]