xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: This Is It?  (Read 137 times)

cykiller

• Archived User
This Is It?
« on: September 23, 2002, 08:22:00 PM »

i just got this today -

We've called a timeout, but play resumes September 27 at 1:00AM PDT.  

You guys rule! Your Beta feedback is helping us make Xbox Live the world's greatest high-speed gaming arena. But, we're taking a timeout so we can start incorporating our Beta Testers' suggestions. So will be taking the network down for 2 days - between Wednesday, September 25 at 1:00AM PDT and Friday, September 27 at 1:00AM PDT.  The outage may not take the full 48 hours, so check the beta web site  for up to the minute information.

We'll be tweaking the system and implementing changes so your Live experience is even smoother.  And there's no doubt that when we launch on November 15th, Xbox Live will stand alone as the only place for gamers to talk trash, play and build their legend - all at the same time.

The Xbox Live Connectivity Tester

During the outage we will be enabling a program that is included on your Xbox Live Beta Starter Kit disk that tests how Live handles various network connections. It's called the Xbox Live Connectivity Tester. We need you to run it.  When you're done playing, pop the Starter Kit disk (the one in the black envelope) into your Xbox and then leave it on. The disk will launch on its own, so you can leave your console running overnight or for an hour or two. This will help us make improvements and fine tune Xbox Live.  

Thanks for all your feedback, and if you need any additional information, you can visit www.xbox.com/live.

Xbox Live Beta Team

what do u modders out there think???

did anyone else get this??

kkattfish

• Archived User
This Is It?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2002, 08:34:00 PM »

sounds a little fishy to me, but i'm not a tester so keep me up to date

plehem12

• Archived User
This Is It?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2002, 09:26:00 PM »

i didnt get the email, but then again im not a tester. and it does sound a little like that. but i dont think thats what it is. but its definatly a possibility. i wish you guys would stop posting this stuff! everytime im sure MS wont have mod detection someone posts something like this to scare me again.

kkattfish

• Archived User
This Is It?
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2002, 12:20:00 AM »

if you do post your results for all to see.  if it's anything good of course

Satan00

• Archived User
This Is It?
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2002, 05:20:00 AM »

ah nuts, looks like its time for me to get some switches and get rid of evox

cykiller

• Archived User
This Is It?
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2002, 10:11:00 AM »

I'm just alittle fucked up about it, they have enough beta testers out there that xbox's aren't modded. im not noid i just want to make sure, I'm not going to do it, if they want to experiment, experiment on the unmodded - i didn't get xbox live to help M$, i got it to kick some ass online. lol  muhaha.gif

beaumac

• Archived User
This Is It?
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2002, 09:37:00 AM »

Smalldog, can you explain more about the sniffer?  I want to know what they are up to also.   I'm using my original unmodded xbox for xbl, just in case.  But if I want to use a modded in the future, like next week, i want to know what to look out for. thanks.

cykiller

• Archived User
This Is It?
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2002, 01:43:00 PM »

just go this today -

The network update was successfully completed and waiting for you to return to game play on Xbox Live.

Thanks,

The Xbox Live Beta team

- n e 1 got any info on this!!!

opjose

• Archived User
This Is It?
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2002, 12:17:00 AM »

Eh, yes.

I left my machine up with a sniffer going on my Linux router to see what was happening.

As far as I could tell they sent a command to the XBLive software to start pinging away at their servers on various ports.

The Xbox would receive acks on each send, and periodically send out statistical updates to the servers as to packet counts.

Basically they did what they said that they wanted to do. Test the connections to the Xbox machines that were out there.

I supposed they also tried various server load tests, by doing this at the same time on a large number of systems.

Nothing "funny" seems to have occurred.

opjose

• Archived User
This Is It?
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2002, 12:15:00 AM »

I see you already boiled it.

Works great eh?

The Legendary Rob

• Archived User
This Is It?
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2002, 04:00:00 AM »

got emails as well... did what they said as well... nothing happened as well...

cykiller

• Archived User
This Is It?
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2002, 05:39:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

muhaha.gif

The Legendary Rob

• Archived User
This Is It?
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2002, 04:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (cykiller @ Sep 28 2002, 03:39 AM)
thx everyone, just figured M$ was up to something!!  biggrin.gif

muhaha.gif

oh they're up to something... but i have trust in "our" guys to find a solution to whatever M$ throws at us.