xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Phantom Dust  (Read 494 times)

quiksilva

• Archived User
Phantom Dust
« on: October 12, 2004, 04:53:00 AM »

Set in the post apocalyptic earth, all the humans now live underground and can only venture out to the surface for 15 minutes max before losing your memory.

However, humans now have been empowered with ubercool psychic powers which can be grouped into four different types, attack, defense, status, and special skills.

There are over 300 skills in the game to unlock and buy from 4 different schools of 'magic' which have different levels of focus some are more suited to long range attacks, some are better at counter spells or interfering with your opponents abilities, some enhance your own physical skills (flying, running at flash-like speeds, teleporting etc).

However, you can only wield 4 abilities at a time, and before going into any round of combat you can select a limited arsenal of various skills that will be available to you. (magic players think of your arsenal as your deck, and the 4 skills you can wield at any given time as your hand)

The strategy in the game is in building arsenals with devastating combos, the skill is in executing and timing your attacks.

Its a real fun game in single player (killing to a classical music soundtrack is a nice touch) but the game really comes alive in multiplayer mode, its on xbox live and up to 4 players can play online in sys-link mode.. It supports voice in game and in the lobby.

The graphics are sweet, the gameplay feels intuitive and its addictive as crack. Oh yeah I've got the J-version and its all in English, text and voice smile.gif

Thats enuff from me I'm jumping back on Kai to get my Dust on.. l8rs

T'A Quiksilva =  score 8.5 / 10

PS if anyone knows of any game saves with all the skills let me know as there are 130 odd missions on this game and I just wanna get all the 300 skills so I can build my arsenal.

This post has been edited by quiksilva: Oct 12 2004, 12:08 PM <

RocafellaSqualie

• Archived User
Phantom Dust
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 05:39:00 AM »

I would have to agree with the review. When my friend told me that he had this game called "Phantom Dust", I was like "What the hell's that?"

He showed me the game, and I played it for a little. After seeing it & playing it, i got very addicted to it. So right now i'm borrowing my friend's Phantom Dust until mines get here via mail. Btw, this game will not be released in the US. IT has english voices & text in case of those wondering. About the system link, i haven't seen anybody on via Kai or XBC yet.

This game is highly recommended.
8/10

EDIT: Finally! Someone on Kai! Sent you a PM quiksilva!

This post has been edited by RocafellaSqualie: Oct 12 2004, 12:40 PM <

c-2

• Archived User
Phantom Dust
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 10:22:00 AM »

ya this game kix ass .. i'm on kai almost every night playing this (hicaow) ..  one thing tho which i have said before and will say again to you newbies of this game, get an arsenal .. play the one player game at least long enough to buy an arsenal, it makes online fights waaay better as you can pick what weapons you want as opposed to the quick battle where its all random crap (whoo side laser, look out.. ) .. if you have played on kai and noticed a room locked that won't let you join its because you need an arsenal .. other than that GET THIS GAME!!

oh and to add to quiksilva's request for a save game if you have this game and have played it on xbox live their are available 4 skills that can only be download via XBL .. can someone do that and send them to me :]

<

Neeero

• Archived User
Phantom Dust
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2004, 12:38:00 PM »

Great game, period.  Similar to card games like Magic the Gathering, in the sense that you build a "deck" of skills which you "draw" from during battles.  The variety of skills is pretty impressive, and there's alot of style to be played with.  The single player is really just a learning mechanism for the games multiplayer, but i was surprised that it has an interesting story and japanese-anime-style fiction behind it.  The graphics, music, and sound are all much above average.   Sadly, because this isnt' planned on being released in the USA, and the fact that Xbox sales in Japan are pretty low, this could end up being the best unplayed xbox game ever.  <

browndanielusn

• Archived User
Phantom Dust
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 01:33:00 PM »

so if it's all in english does it have japanese subtitles?  <

Neeero

• Archived User
Phantom Dust
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2004, 02:40:00 PM »

If your xbox's language is set to english, the entire game is in english, and for every movie the voices are in english.  I'm not sure if the actual in movie voices switch to japanesse with your language setting, but the in game text does..  The only thing that needs to be done to release this in the US is to change the region settings on the actual dvd  mad.gif

kaioshade

• Archived User
Phantom Dust
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 09:59:00 AM »

The game is indeed bilingual. There are movie and sound files for both english and japanese. And i usually play my games on japanese but the english voices are quite good for this game.  <