xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Driv3r  (Read 395 times)

world in an oyster

• Archived User
Driv3r
« on: July 10, 2004, 03:45:00 PM »

Driv3r, where to begin....
It is on one hand, a masterpiece. The storyline is great (though a little hard to keep track of at moments) offering the chance to explore massive, variety packed cities in what ever mode of transport you like.
Coaches, 18 wheelers, bikes and tvr-ripp offs...you name them, they're here and ready to play. Even a forklift truck can be driven. A FORKLIFT TRUCK!
The carchases are amazing and the entire atmosphere is epic and cinematic, wahoo.

Unfortunatly, driv3r has a dark and twisted alter ego, one that wants nothing more than to upset and annoy you.
The game can proove to be absoloutly stupidly easy at times thanks to the frankly appalling AI - this has the worst computer intellegence I've ever seen on an xbox game...including fusion frenzy. Its laughable.
Watch ultra-realistic 3d characters with occasionally excellent animation jogging into a lampost, unable to chase you because you've walked around the object and they tried to walk through it.
Then, the game can become hard, trying to make up for the piss easy gameplay provided by the AI. Its bloody annoying when you're 3/4 of the way to finding a secret hideout and becoming da' man, when you accidently hit something as insignificant as a few rocks sticking out the ground which instantly stop you, rather than letting you role over them.

The game is fun as hell and is far more varied than any current xbox game, with indoor and lots of outdoor fun as well as massive missions and levels, brilliant graphics and fantastic lack of repetition. woot. If it wasn't for the AI this could have been game of the year.
As the AI does exist, its simply a very, very enjoyable game.

8.5/10  <

HeadBangingMonkey

• Archived User
Driv3r
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 12:25:00 AM »

First off I have to say I really liked Driver 1 and 2, sure they had serious popup issues etc but it was on the PSone so I didn't mind. The take a ride feature was always fun and insane...

Enter Driver 3... What happened. Theres a lot wrong with this game

-) Popup - Pop-up on an xbox game?!? And this is seriously bad popup, cars appear out of no where.... driving along and then OH SHIT.... a lampost appeared.

-) Collision engine - Is it me or is everything indestructable, lamposts, postboxes, BUSHES.

-) GFX Errors - there are some shoddy errors, like textures dissappearing, underwater textures overlapping the bank textures (maybe i'll do some screenshots as an example).

-) GFX (full stop) - This is an xbox game, it should simply be better! The only decent looking things are the vehicles themselves... But we're way past the day when we had cardboard trees! The only way its .somewhat. excusable is because the maps are so damn big (something I do like)

-) Framerate - I had serious slow down in places particularly when there were multiple cars chasing me... and i'll note I was running in PAL60. But this might just be me

Minor things

-) No Blood - You can't try to compete with GTA if you don't have any blood... a little splash would have been nice.

-) Better sound - Boring music (we'll in take a ride anyways) and SFX like the motorbikes are wrong. It sounds like a broken 50cc bike.

-) I had real trouble getting in and out of cars sometimes, he refused too... odd

I may have been a bit harsh, but this is a below average game. I'm dissapointed as a fan of the Driver series. A lot of people will still enjoy this game but I got bored. I admit I've barely touched the missions yet but I spent most of my time in all of the games doing Take a ride

I agree with you on the AI its very dissapointing. That and I had a pedestrian randomly fall out the sky and die  :blink:

This game will appeal to some people, and I'm sure some of the missions are better as you go through but this game didn't cut it for me, so I stopped playing it.

Maybe worth a rent... but please, rent it first before you even think about buying it.  <

FawnTheGuyver

• Archived User
Driv3r
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2004, 05:34:00 AM »

The game is so far cool but my opinion is it was released to fast many bugs had not been fixed.  <

Xboxmodder3690

• Archived User
Driv3r
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »

The reason why there is no blodd is because the developers were trying to lower the ESRB to Teen instead of Mature  wink.gif

gamersha794

• Archived User
Driv3r
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2004, 11:30:00 AM »

I have played the entire GTA series fallin gin love with the first one and ever since playing them. The only thing that i found lacking was the driving physics. so i rented this game for xbox and found that driving around was enjoyable. anything else seemed to be done as an after thought. the walking around was terrible. I must give the game somethin for the movie maker mode and the ability to share your content on xbox live. None of that could make up the fact that the out of car experiance sucked for me.  <

J_Man61

• Archived User
Driv3r
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2004, 02:13:00 AM »

if they took the gameplay and vehicles from GTA3 , and the look of Driv3r, then the game owuld be ausome. they realesed too late, people got tired of the GTA look at a game  <

gatopaco

• Archived User
Driv3r
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 05:48:00 AM »

i would agree with j man61, people including myself played GTA3 so much that drivr 3 didnt make much of a hit when it released.  I m not real impressed with the game i personally liked drivr2 better
oh well!  <

triggernum5

• Archived User
Driv3r
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 08:07:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure this is the most disappointing game ever..  All my complaints have already been mentioned..smile.gif

trigger_

• Archived User
Driv3r
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 06:16:00 AM »

Atari suck.    <_<   <

melongstrike

• Archived User
Driv3r
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 10:56:00 AM »

This was a good game gone bad.... real cars don't handle as poorly in real life in the rain with flat tires in fact with 3 tires as they did in Driver 3 Atari could have done so much better.

And the running, jumping, and camera angles were just disgusting.

One positive .... the dude could swim... so hooray to them for that one.   <

A:I

• Archived User
Driv3r
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 11:21:00 AM »

HOW DO I GET A FORKLIFT TRUCK??? sad.gif

Heet

• Archived User
Driv3r
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 11:06:00 PM »

Go get the gamesave at xbox-saves.com <

A:I

• Archived User
Driv3r
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 09:30:00 AM »

thanks a lot!!!!!                     gift.gif  bdaybiggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  rolleyes.gif  smile.gif  beerchug.gif

Devedander

• Archived User
Driv3r
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 05:52:00 PM »

I really had to look hard to find stuff I liked about this game.  

The controls were horrible all around and incredibly bad in the shooting areas.

The computer was patheticly stupid as bad guys, who would stand still, and only raise their arm and shoot, hit then twice and they didn't move most of the time.

Trying to target someone with the control setup they had is a joke, and trying to hit someone while moving was more of a joke.

The game had so much to draw on and failed so miserably.   I give it a 3/10 <