xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Halo  (Read 194 times)

WhatsAModchip?

• Archived User
Halo
« on: November 08, 2003, 08:51:00 PM »

Here is my review for Halo.  Overall the single player is above average, but the Coop and the Multiplayer is what blows your mind away (along with the vehicles).
Graphics 8/10
The graphics are GREAT for a game this old and the effects are amazing.  The only problem i get is when i play coop w/ my friend i get dropped frames like mad, making it very difficult to play sad.gif.  Graphics are the best of its time though, and deserve much praise.
Scenery, Maps etc. 9/10
The scenery is hella nice, but the only thing that holds this game to winning a 10/10 is its monotony.  The maps overlap considerably and gets tiring very fast, but the multiplayer maps are genius.  The textures are clean as fuck and the blood is very nice when splattered all over the place smile.gif.  The water is also very unique in its design, not clear, but aqua blue, which gives some character to the game (the alien water was this color).
Single Player 8/10
The single player is considerably above mediocre and the game does not lag at all.  The human and alien AI gets you pissed as fucked at moments.  Some parts are very difficult to beat and some parts are just plain annoying.  Being stuck in the wrong spot at the wrong time can fuck you over, but these slight drawbacks do not stop the single player from being great.  The humans are a pain in the ass when they get in your way, and I found it easier to just run them over and take their ammo and grenades (leave them a rose though).  The coop is very fun, considering you can ride on the back of the car on the last level, and you can work together in destroying the ship.  The coop is also based largely on who you're playing with, the good part about it is that if your partner sucks balls, you still have a chance to come back.  The enemies also get boring and you can never find a dearth of them anywhere; wherever you go you'll find some that will indefinately piss the hell out of you (still fun though) but the big dudes that you have to kill in the back (with orange blood) are also a little variety, which puts the gamer to ease for a bit.. Overall, they needed more variety in the enemies and the plot twist was kinda predictable...though the story line was very well done.  
GamePlay, Guns Vehicles 10/10
Though there could be more guns in this game, but yet at the same time, the guns were very well done.  The alien guns are a bit superfluous in nature, for they are very similar, but still very unique at the same time.  The Human guns were done simply, like any other FPS, but the pistol and rocket launcher work nicely to give the player a nice variety (also nice scoping in those weapons as well).  I thought they could have done more with the assault rifle: ie.  make it like AVP2 and have a grenade launcher on it.  The assault rifle was the biggest dissapointment, but the bullet count on it was cool and original.  The gameplay in my opinion is VERY GOOD and better than the pc version for TWO reasons:
1. The PC version lags like a whore if your computer isnt amazing
2. The L+R combo for shoot and nade is what made my gameplay experience so much more exciting.  
I also thought that the plasma grenades were a nice touch to the game, gives the gamer a nice escape from the FRAG grenades.  One of the deciding factors that made this game amazing were the vehicles:
Though the warthog flips a lot, it is awesome to have 3 peeps in it, especially while playing multi.  The back gun is very cool and the banshee is my favorite (i would really have liked to have that in multiplayer, just one map dedicated to that).  The one that is used for dry land, the ghost, gets on your nerves a bit though (so easy to get run over and the driver is hard to hit in multiplayer because the vehicle is indestructable).  The wraith vehicle is pretty cool but really does not play enough of a role in the game to have some recognition.  The Scorpion is the same..rarely used, but still pretty cool.  
Sorry guys its late, so i'm gonna finish this another time, tell me what you think. thx.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
Halo
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2003, 03:08:00 PM »

Those human (marine) vehicles are called, the scorpion and worthog.  And the aliens wehicles are called, the banshee, ghost, and wraith.  Including the actual names in your review might make you sound more creditable. wink.gif

WhatsAModchip?

• Archived User
Halo
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2003, 05:58:00 AM »

QUOTE (Foe-hammer @ Nov 12 2003, 01:08 AM)
Those human (marine) vehicles are called, the scorpion and worthog.  And the aliens wehicles are called, the banshee, ghost, and wraith.  Including the actual names in your review might make you sound more creditable. wink.gif

lol sorry i forgot thx.

conc3pt

• Archived User
Halo
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 09:05:00 PM »

your review is pretty accurate, good job!

WhatsAModchip?

• Archived User
Halo
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 03:34:00 PM »

thx, heh i didnt realize how many of these there were, i guess a bit excessive.  if you guys want me to finish i would be glad to.

PerfectModifications

• Archived User
Halo
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 04:44:00 PM »

Halo's single player is GREAT, but a bit repetitive. The first couple levels are absolutely UNBELIEVABLE, but they slowly go on a downward trend as the game comes to a close.

SYN-SpyDeR

• Archived User
Halo
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 12:38:00 PM »

LAN LAN LAN LAN LAN....and xbconnect