xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Halo: Combat Evolved  (Read 813 times)

Liamb2003

• Archived User
Halo: Combat Evolved
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2003, 11:54:00 AM »

If Halo were released as a PS2 or GCN title by now, it'd be on the 19.99 "greatest hits" rack. But, since it's all the xbox has going, they continue to gouge 50 bucks out of everyone because they can.

Do you know why they can still get so much for it? Because halo is a great game and still bought by everyone who buys an xbox.

The graphics start out just great. They look really impressive as you start to play. All the grey walls of your space ship set a mood. When you reach the second mission, and the graphics are the same - they're less impressive. Eventually the quality of the graphics takes a backseat to the complete lack of graphic variety. The levels are forgettable because they all look the same.

Yeah well, the graphics wont exactly change every other level. And about the levels being the same. The only two similar levels are aotcr & tb. But they still look alot different and are fun to play. Can you not tell the difference between a hallway in a spacecraft and a snowy cavern filled with vehicles and trees and rocks and alien style levels and rainy jungles?

It's just another title in the sea of mediocre FPS games

Yeah sure. Thats why it was voted game of the year and given a good review by everyone, except you and another selection of ps2 or gc fanboys.

It's a two year old game - it belongs in the classics bin, as I've said so many times.

Yeah and your a two year old, that belongs in the looney bin.

just my 5 cents

biggrin.gif

xboxfrizzy

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2003, 11:17:00 PM »

It's a two year old game - it belongs in the classics bin, as I've said so many times.

Im just curious as to what you think is more fun to play.

Dagoth

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2003, 02:33:00 AM »

you really should be shot for such comments. Halo is the best game ever. "."

I wouldn't rate Halo on the xbox as the "best game" ever..

Sure it's a good game, but at the end of the day it's another FPS form a very distinguished line. (ie. Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, UT, Halflife )

Halo on the PC is a better game than the xbox version (better graphics , and a far better control system).

FPS on consoles all suffer from having to control the aiming using a thumbstick when a mouse control system is far superior.

to be honest I couldn't tell you what the greatest game ever is - but halo wouldn't even be in my top 10 (and I've had over 20 years of playing computer & console games)

daviefresh1775

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2003, 11:31:00 AM »

QUOTE (stratjakt @ Oct 21 2003, 08:22 PM)
Better than most console ports, its actually playable.

its not a port buddy, it was originally intended for the XBOX, the PC version is a port unsure.gif

EgoX

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2003, 06:22:00 PM »

QUOTE (gcskate27 @ Oct 28 2003, 07:01 PM)
QUOTE (EgoX @ Oct 27 2003, 07:26 AM)
dont believe half of what you see and none of what you hear

just pointing out the double negative, doesnt change the first bit of advice but completely changes the second...

I'll be sure to pass on your advice to Lou Reed maybe he can rectify the lyric biggrin.gif

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2003, 02:55:00 PM »

QUOTE (TraZer @ Nov 1 2003, 11:11 AM)
the first thing I noticed was that the game was'nt running in more than 30 frames per second!! I mean... when you buy a gaming console you expect it to be running in 60 FPS or more... soo I found this game kind of laggy.
Secondly the enemies where boring and the landscapes where even worse... bored the shit out of me...

Talk about not recognizing something good when it smack you upside the head.  
While i too really enjoyed metroid prime, and thought the graphics were very good, do you seriously think they are better than halo's?  For hell's sake man, you must have a piece of shit tv, or need glasses or something.  Look at the texture quality and the bumpmapping in halo, they are unparellel.  When you get close up to anything in metroid prime the textures get blurred and blocky, in halo things look better the closer you get to them (texture compression).  And not a damn thing is even bumpmapped in metroid prime.  Another unique feature in halo, is you can go anywhere if you can figure out a way to get there.  Example, every little ledge, tree, or building can be scaled if you use some creativity with rockets, gernades, warthogs, and your own marines.  This "sandbox" physics and evironment is amazing.  In metroid, there are barriers that unable you to jump to a certain spot, or go to a certain place, eventhough it is very possible to get there.
I don't know weather this is denial, or just plain stupidity.  I can understand if you just did not like the game, but dissing halo for its graphics and environments is just plain asinine.

TraZer

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2003, 09:31:00 PM »

QUOTE (Foe-hammer @ Nov 6 2003, 12:55 AM)
Talk about not recognizing something good when it smack you upside the head.  
While i too really enjoyed metroid prime, and thought the graphics were very good, do you seriously think they are better than halo's?  For hell's sake man, you must have a piece of shit tv, or need glasses or something.  Look at the texture quality and the bumpmapping in halo, they are unparellel.  When you get close up to anything in metroid prime the textures get blurred and blocky, in halo things look better the closer you get to them (texture compression).  And not a damn thing is even bumpmapped in metroid prime.  Another unique feature in halo, is you can go anywhere if you can figure out a way to get there.  Example, every little ledge, tree, or building can be scaled if you use some creativity with rockets, gernades, warthogs, and your own marines.  This "sandbox" physics and evironment is amazing.  In metroid, there are barriers that unable you to jump to a certain spot, or go to a certain place, eventhough it is very possible to get there.
I don't know weather this is denial, or just plain stupidity.  I can understand if you just did not like the game, but dissing halo for its graphics and environments is just plain asinine.

I did'nt say that the graphics where bad... I said that the landscapes and enemies where boring and that's a whole lot different... in my oppinion it does'nt care if a game has bumpmapping and some other advanced technique in it's graphics engine... if the game cant run in more than 30 fps then what's the big deal?
The Xbox is a gaming console... and you expect all the games to run with more than (or about) 60fps... 30 fps and 60 fps is like day and night in my oppinion.
ok I agree I'm kind of a fetischist when it comes to this but I think you get the point here.

secondly... there's no need to get soo upset that you start to complain about me needing glasses, my tv sucks, stupidity and whatever... I respect that you like Halo, it just happens to be that I like metroid prime better that's all.

/TraZer

Silantro

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2003, 01:49:00 AM »

Why even reply to this review,  ive seen it at the top for like a week and we all know that this one deserves to be pinned in the garbage bin as a perfect example of what trash may look like on these forums.  

As you can tell it looks like its not going there.

My idea (and sole purpose for replying):

Dont reply so it will cycle past the front page,  and bump one of the other halo reviews as they most definatly deserve to be above this one,  or another review that was well thought out, as this one was spit out in seconds to obviously start a flame war.

If you dont agree,  oh well.  It was worth a shot.

zhaka

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2003, 05:46:00 AM »

QUOTE (yanke10 @ Oct 27 2003, 03:59 AM)
QUOTE (u0f @ Oct 27 2003, 02:44 AM)
I actually didnt like halo either. I'm not sure what all the hype was about, seemed as good as any other fps to me.

get 16 friends together and try it.  or u can just try halo pc but it is much better when everyone is in the same room and their all friends.  a couple other things that made this game great is that u can mod so much stuff in it.  try shooting 60 rockets out of a assualt rifle in 10 seconds.  or try flying ghosts that shoot missles.  its amazing.  i know the creator didnt intend for it to be moddable, but since it is it makes it so much better

That's the thing. I'm a huge Halo fan myself, but other people that don't find much interest or don't "understand" the hacking interest with Halo obviously havn't played it as much as us Halo fans. You know what I mean?

For example, you have to be used to and bored of the regular AR rounds and its firing mechanics to actually relish the rocket change. Someone new to the game or someone that never really took interest in the gameplay or game itself may not see anything great about any of the new things we do, because it seems as if the game was supposed to be that way to them in general. Atleast that's the case for some people.

So if you pick up some game at a store that some kid is playing called "Bugalow Gokarts" or something (had to make up some name) and he says "Dude!1! Look how awesome teh n3w yellow col0r is on teh gokarts!!11!one!" You'll just figure it was meant to be that way in the game, and not take any interest in it.

So next time one of you decides to say that you don't understand what all the "hacking hype" with Halo is, try playing the game for a about 7-8 months without ANY hacks, and get used to every aspect of the game (as we were forced to considering all the hacks we had around then were the Trainers) and THEN start hacking Halo again. You'll love the new changes  laugh.gif .

Ok, not funny, but you get the point.

zhaka

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2003, 05:49:00 AM »

QUOTE (dmos @ Nov 3 2003, 07:40 AM)
I'm not going to say that anyone should be shot, that's not nice.   Though I do love halo with every part of my body (invluding my pee-pee) and have been playing it religiously since it's release (almost 2 years now).    

LMAO

zhaka

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2003, 05:53:00 AM »

QUOTE (yanke10 @ Oct 27 2003, 03:59 AM)
QUOTE (u0f @ Oct 27 2003, 02:44 AM)
I actually didnt like halo either. I'm not sure what all the hype was about, seemed as good as any other fps to me.

get 16 friends together and try it.  or u can just try halo pc but it is much better when everyone is in the same room and their all friends.  a couple other things that made this game great is that u can mod so much stuff in it.  try shooting 60 rockets out of a assualt rifle in 10 seconds.  or try flying ghosts that shoot missles.  its amazing.  i know the creator didnt intend for it to be moddable, but since it is it makes it so much better

That's the thing. I'm a huge Halo fan myself, but other people that don't find much interest or don't "understand" the hacking interest with Halo obviously havn't played it as much as us Halo fans. You know what I mean?

For example, you have to be used to and bored of the regular AR rounds and its firing mechanics to actually relish the rocket change. Someone new to the game or someone that never really took interest in the gameplay or game itself may not see anything great about any of the new things we do, because it seems as if the game was supposed to be that way to them in general. Atleast that's the case for some people.

So if you pick up some game at a store that some kid is playing called "Bugalow Gokarts" or something (had to make up some name) and he says "Dude!1! Look how awesome teh n3w yellow col0r is on teh gokarts!!11!one!" You'll just figure it was meant to be that way in the game, and not take any interest in it.

So next time one of you decides to say that you don't understand what all the "hacking hype" with Halo is, try playing the game for a about 7-8 months without ANY hacks, and get used to every aspect of the game (as we were forced to considering all the hacks we had around then were the Trainers) and THEN start hacking Halo again. You'll love the new changes  laugh.gif .

Ok, not funny, but you get the point.

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2003, 02:10:00 PM »

I cannot fathom how someone that considers himself even a moderate gamer would not like Halo.  I still consider it THE best game of all time.  No other game has held my attention and put me in the game like this one.  I pity you man.

CapriCoke

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2003, 04:35:00 PM »

QUOTE (daviefresh1775 @ Nov 4 2003, 09:31 PM)
its not a port buddy, it was originally intended for the XBOX, the PC version is a port unsure.gif

Halo was originally intended for the PC, then MS bought out Bungie and made it an Xbox only title.  Weather its a port of the work they originally did for the pc or completely redone for the xbox, I'm not sure.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2003, 02:53:00 PM »

QUOTE (Heet @ Nov 9 2003, 12:10 AM)
I cannot fathom how someone that considers himself even a moderate gamer would not like Halo.  I still consider it THE best game of all time.  No other game has held my attention and put me in the game like this one.  I pity you man.

So true.  Halo is the only game i have played for this long religiously.  That's says something.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2003, 03:00:00 PM »

QUOTE (TraZer @ Nov 6 2003, 07:31 AM)
in my oppinion it does'nt care if a game has bumpmapping and some other advanced technique in it's graphics engine... if the game cant run in more than 30 fps then what's the big deal?
The Xbox is a gaming console... and you expect all the games to run with more than (or about) 60fps... 30 fps and 60 fps is like day and night in my oppinion.

Give me a break.  I bet if you never knew that halo was 30fps, you would have never noticed.  Eventhough halo is 30fps, it runs a hell of a lot smoother than quake arena for the dc at 60fps.  So what gives?  Also, if 30fps remains constant; doesnt drop below 28fps, the human eye cannot detect if the game is 30 or 60fps.  The reason developers shoot for 60fps, is because if the game drops at all it won't be noticed, while if the game drops from 30fps, it will be noticable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5