xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Far Cry  (Read 271 times)

uberd0g

• Archived User
Far Cry
« on: October 09, 2005, 09:28:00 AM »

First-person shooters, eh? When you get a good one it's one of the most absorbing forms of videogame entertainment, when you get a bad one it's shit. End of story.
Far Cry: Instincts looked like it was going to be one of the many low-grade fps releases that litter the shelves, but after eventually playing it, I reckon it's the best fps on xbox (that includes halo2).

Farcry puts you in the head of jack carver, an ex-navy recruit who, through gun-running and mob troubles, ends up in business sailing tourists around a group of tropical islands. Fortunately for us, everything goes tits-up and good ol' jack ends up on an island under military rule and with the whole of their armed forces on the lookout for a trespasser who may stumble upon some of the secrets experiments on the island. Nice one! biggrin.gif
Unlike many fps games, instead of asking you to blow the shit out of every soldier that you come across, farcry lets you choose when to strike and when to lay low and sneak around a patrol. I keep thinking back to a particular section here:

Lying in some tall grass at the top of a cliff, you scope the military compound below. 7 soldiers patrol the beach while around 15 are stationed in the stilt-legged buildings standing over the water. Using your binochulars, you weigh up your options:
  There's a jet ski. You could sneak down, cap the patrolling guard on the beach, make a bullet-spewing charge to the water's edge, tear off on the jet ski and hope that you hit the other side of the beach before that gun turret cuts you to ribbons... nah!  You could try popping a few with the sniper rifle, hope that no-one sees a body drop, clear yourself a path, get to the gun-turret... damn, not enough bullets! What should you do?

That's the kind of open-ended gameplay that farcry throws at you. It gives you an impressive amount of choice. How you deal with a situation is up to you. In the above I took out a guard with a silenced pistol, then snaked through the grass, around the compound, dropping only 3 soldiers to clear my path. I is a sneaky bastard, see? wink.gif
 Take into acount that enemies are pretty smart and will investigate any movement/noises they detect, that you have the ability to set basic traps, that you can distract/lure guards by throwing stones, that you can kick explodable barrels around, that you can crawl under huts and shoot up through the floor and that (later in the game) you have some handy "primal instincts" then you'll realise that farcry gives you a lot to play with.
 Part way through the game (when you master your instincts) stealth becomes less of a neccessity, giving you more of an all out gun party. However, if you want to be stealthy, you can. There's just not much point. But it's still entirely up to you.

Vehicles are well implimented. Speedboat, jetski, humvee, hang-glider... a nice variation in vehicles and it's cool to be able to aim and shoot with your machinegun/pistol (though it takes some practice). They aren't always there for a "driving level", either. They pop up all over the place and are another welcome addition to your gameplay tactics.

Using a humvee to tear through the forest dirt-tracks I couldn't help wondering how long it would've taken me if I was on foot. The levels are huge! And they don't seem contrived. By that, I mean the layout of buildings and surroundings seems realistic. Organic. Like the natural surroundings were there first, and the buildings were made to take advantage of them (you'll know what I mean when you play it). The game has a very nice "Predator" feel to it.

Graphically, I was stunned. The overwhelming amount of plants and foliage. It's impossible to take in. It's so bloody... natural! Long draw distance, too. And I didn't notice any pop-up (though one review led me to believe it was abundant). Also, from the opening section I noticed some cool effects that I don't think I've seen before in a videogame. The sunlight seems to radiate off every surface in a pleasingly realistic way. There's a slight blur as you step onto dry land from swimming. Very nice touches.
 The game's physics add a lot to the visual side of things, too. There's a lot of stuff that reacts to explosions, especially people! The ragdoll effects on characters is great but I really love how corpses float ("they all float down here!" biggrin.gif ). It reminded me of the first time I saw the E3 Half-life 2 video and sat, gob-smacked, at how the barrels had realistic weight and bouyancy. Farcry has that, and I didn't even notice until I'd been playing for a good few hours. I just took it for granted.

There's a shitload of stuff in farcry that you'll take for granted, probably not even notice, but you'll instantly appreciate the gameplay and graphics. For my money, the best fps on xbox. No arguments! wink.gif

9.5/10

georaldc

• Archived User
Far Cry
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 12:46:00 AM »

Yep, I was sure this game was going to be good, considering that the makers of splinter cell were handling it. The only thing I find distracting with the graphics is the water reflections. IMO, the reflection's frame rate is slow which makes the water look like some sort of gooey liquid. Also, just noticed the other day that they removed the player's shadow from the demo. Not that big of a deal though since you rarely see you're own shadow. Everything else is pretty damn good! Heck, I'm having much more fun here than with the PC Farcry!

This post has been edited by georaldc: Oct 10 2005, 07:46 AM

Helios

• Archived User
Far Cry
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 04:39:00 AM »

:( I haven't even seen Far Cry yet lol. If it was made by the guys that did Splinter Cell then it MUST be good. I am gonna pick myself up a copy lol.

n0bi

• Archived User
Far Cry
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 07:17:00 AM »

The story mode was DISSAPOINTINGLY short for me. I mean, Halo 2's campaign was much larger and more varied, whereas FarCry never really 'picked up'. The graphics are perfect - I'll give Ubisoft that. That water, the effects, all very nice. The whole 'laying low' thing was completely useless. You could just pick off some enemies with the rifle and then just rush in amidst the confusion. The 'placing traps' thing was a gimmick and is barely even useful in multiplayer. The vehicles were poorly implemented also. They're just in there when you need to cover some ground fast (except for that jet ski sequence) and are useless offensively because of the cam. The feral powers are also rarely needed, and the campaign is much more linear than reviews make us believe. Sure, you could go to that tree first, or then the hut -- or you could go to the hut, then the tree. It just doesn't feel open-ended. All in all, this game seems to be made for multiplayer and the map editor. And really, if Ubisoft had focused much more heavily on the multiplayer and on expanding the map editor, this game could have been so much more (coming from a guy without Live).

Don't wanna appear like I'm hijacking your topic or flaming your review though  biggrin.gif , my original short comment just got ..... stretched or something.

LepPpeR

• Archived User
Far Cry
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 12:06:00 AM »

I was disappointed when I first saw the game but as I started playing and getting involved in the story I had a lot more fun that I assumed I would have.  Played the game thru and it was not too long.  I would not give it a 9.5 but it is a great game all-be-it a tad bit to short.

uberd0g

• Archived User
Far Cry
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 07:23:00 PM »

I understand that the 9.5 may seem a little high to some, but I love FPS games. I even switched from ps2 to xbox for the sole reason that xbox is THE console for first person shooters.
For someone like me, far cry deserves the score. I was 100% absorbed in the game from start to finish and I  thoroughly enjoyed it.

In all honesty though, now that I've played Half-life 2 all other fps games seem slightly stale in comparison. If I reviewed far cry now the score would definitely be a bit lower (probably about 9.0). Just bear in mind that I wrote this review before I spoiled myself with HL wink.gif

ImDaWiseGuy

• Archived User
Far Cry
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 12:12:00 PM »

the story mode wasnt its selling point anyhow it was the multi player and the game itself....most games aimed for mulitplayer...campaign suck

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
Far Cry
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 10:50:00 PM »

yeah, online is pretty fun, when you can find a good server.. which was very troubling when i owned the game.
i sold it since it didnt get too much play, rather returned it (under the 30 return limit with blockbuster) but single player was really fun for a FPS.

BrutalDrew

• Archived User
Far Cry
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 07:31:00 PM »

I have not played the multiplayer so I cannot comment on that. However, I can say the single player was fantastic. The only things that really annoyed me was that it was way too short and way too easy. You should at least be able to choose difficulty levels.

Vfreitas

• Archived User
Far Cry
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 08:06:00 PM »

I remeber seeing the game trailers and game footage and thinking, "Oh damn, this might actually be the new king of Xbox LAN'able FPS's." I picked up the game a few weeks ago, and although the graphics are stunning and the different playable modes are great, the dynamics of the FPS side just aren't up to par. I wasn't a big fan of the crosshairs, the damage done on certain areas of the body, the player models and their running, it all just didn't feel right. Maybe it's just me, but I think this game could have been a perfect A+ if they had some people working on making those parts as great as the graphics.

This post has been edited by Vfreitas: Jan 1 2006, 04:07 AM

WhatsArules?

• Archived User
Far Cry
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 06:53:00 AM »

Nice review, i might get it now   smile.gif

Cronus130

• Archived User
Far Cry
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 09:33:00 PM »

agreed

ThaCrip

• Archived User
Far Cry
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2006, 11:39:00 PM »

i thought farcry was pretty good to but my only complaint is the very end part i swear is impossible to beat (i did not use cheats til very last part) it  seems (unless i missed something?) ... i only played it on the PC since i hate using a controller for FPS games... im one of the people who thinks a mouse+keyboard combo is way superior to a controller.

did they make that end scene alot easier or something on the xbox? ... cause i swear i tried damn near everything i could think of and could not beat the very end part without using cheats.... the rest of the game i beat without cheating.

and i agree with the person about the halo2 comments! wink.gif ... halo2 is seriously overrated i dont know why everyone thinks it so good (my cousins play it way to much lol) ... as far as im conserned far cry wipes the floor with halo2 especially in terms of single player.

flood_killer

• Archived User
Far Cry
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 09:25:00 PM »

on the xbox, the merceneries are really stupid, but on the computer, they're smart. i don't know what happened blink.gif  uhh.gif . something must have happened when farcry came out for the xbox sad.gif

flood_killer

• Archived User
Far Cry
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »

and they scream like girlscouts when you kill them