xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Jaded Empire  (Read 127 times)

blindsay

• Archived User
Jaded Empire
« on: May 07, 2005, 02:11:00 PM »

Hello Grasshoppa,

you are obviously curious into Master Lindsay's view of the ambitious Jade Empire Xbox game, I will tell a tale...

Deep in the lands of BioWare a machination was brewing, this machine was named Jade Empire, past inventions from this land have been award and battle winning near classics (I don't believe I have to recant) beautifully crafted and made with exceeding care. This machine was a glory to be hold, but alass...it would seem the inventors of this land sought beauty over performace and longevity.

Jade Empire was bought as fantastic as Moral RPGs can be as far as the choices you were given, the dialogue is near flawness and entertaining the entire way though with classic reminders of the glory days of Bruce Lee and black & white kung fu flicks. Anyway, besides all that it has a nice small series of mini-games that are interesting if fleeting and short. The characters are creative and elequently dashing...plus the chicks are hott.

Sadly, there is a downside. There isn't much strategy depth to the fighting, it's like a hack/slash battle system but you don't get the combo creativity. You have ONE attack button and you vary your attacks by switching styles mid GREEN button bashing!! If you were only playing the demo, this is game is a perfect 10...if your spending 50 bucks on a good game that will last you awhile, hold your dollars. The creators even admited to only making the game 20+ hours long, I was disappointed to have beaten it in 18hrs and I played most of the sidequests.

If played twice I don't think it would extend past 11-12 hours honestly. It's short.

If you like this review, please respond...I have more to say about it.

First Look: 10/10
Second Look: 8/10
Graphics: 15/10
Gameplay: 8
Longevity: 7/10
Battle System: 6/10
Originality: 12/10

Not a bad game, just killed me on it's shortness.

obiecent

• Archived User
Jaded Empire
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 10:52:00 AM »

Well i begged to differ firstly there is more then one button for attacks (try reading the manual lmao) and secondly there is a stratergy to the way u fight its called martial arts, u dont see bruce lee kicking someone in the face then running and dodgying all there shit and waiting for a perfect oppurtunity he uses the surrounds plus the weigh and the slowness of there attackers to win. So basicly the fighting is perfect for the way it is set out...

I have to agreee 20+ is a little untrue but if u did the whole Side story it wud of been a bit longer. I enjoyed the way they set it out and the battle sequence so i give the battle sequence a good 9 1/2 and the rest i agree...

Good review

blindsay

• Archived User
Jaded Empire
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 08:18:00 PM »

Thank you for the reply Ob, but even on closer review of the game...the fighting strategy in my opinion is the same. At most there are 2, possibly 3 buttons that can alter attacks...normal and strong attacks and special...but even still with the amount of fighting you do, it gets monotonous to conjoin 3 buttons and very the attacks in very unspectacular ways Ob.

My stance on the fighting remains man, sorry.

sulfur

• Archived User
Jaded Empire
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 08:10:00 PM »

I'm starting to feel this game is like Fable in that its a really cool idea and they get like 85% done with the game but then they experience some problems and just rush the last 15%.

poogles

• Archived User
Jaded Empire
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 06:20:00 AM »

Short yes but in my opinion hugely rewarding to play again. I'm going to go back this time as an evil character to not feel so ridiculed by Master Li at the end.

Only gripe with Jade Empire is the combat. Even on the hardest setting, with Storm Dragon as your support you can more-or-less defeat any human opponent without obtaining a scratch.