xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dead Or Alive Ultimate  (Read 156 times)

ravedrifter

• Archived User
Dead Or Alive Ultimate
« on: April 10, 2005, 11:00:00 PM »

DOA:U just came out.. well last year.. but here i am to review it. I have been player fighting games all my life, since SF2 hit the arcades. 3d fighters have recently getting more attention lately, as hits like tekken, soul cali, and DOA have came out recently, its all about 3d, as 2d is slowly dieing nowa days.

*Note this game comes in a pack of the remake of 2 and the orignal game, DOA1, i will not talk about DOA1, as i thought it wasnt worth talking about.*

Well, on to the game.

Graphics 10
I will talk about the best thing about DOAU, that is the graphics, amazing graphics, player models look amazing, the multi tiered backgrounds are detailed and full of interaction. Frame rate is very smooth at 60 fps. This game could have the best graphics on xbox.

Sound 7
Sound is one of this games weakest points.. The announcer is very annoying (A girl with a overwhelmingly high pitched voice.) The background music is just that plain old generic rock, beats whatever. Sound effects are okay, but sound generic as well. Not bad, but not the best. Voice acting is kinda bad though.

Gameplay 7.5
There are many modes to choose from, such as the old school, arcade mode, the tag team modes and tournament modes, there is also online where i will be discussing later. Gameplay controls are fast and responsive but too easy IMO. There are many combos that take up almost half your life which only take a few button presess. The counters are also a nice touch but sometimes can be unbalanced, as they are very easy to execute and dealing HUGE amounts of damage. The AI is very easy on normal, as you can just button mash your way through but gets harder as the difficulty changes. Stil very fun to pick up and play, but not alot of depth like Tekken and the VF series.

Online 10
I am rating the online portion, because it is so fun. Voice chat makes it a better experience. The way it works is the winner stays, loser goes and it is something like a virtual arcade. Very unique way of doing things online. There is also a ranking which i like as well. Future fighting games should do online like this.

Lasting Appeal 8
I like how it includes the old DOA1 in there as well, but it just isnt' worth playing. There are hidden characters and many costumes to unlock. The game is fun for a while single player, but you will soon master it and will think it is too easy. The online mode is what you will want to try as this is the main reason i bought this. The way online is made makes the game much deeper. You will occasionally come back to this just to have a tourney or something.

Overall..
Graphics 10
Sound 7
Gameplay 7.5
Online 10
Lasting Appeal 8

Final score: 8.5

This post has been edited by ravedrifter: Apr 11 2005, 06:05 AM <

ghwanderer

• Archived User
Dead Or Alive Ultimate
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2005, 07:51:00 PM »

this game gets a thumbs down from me. The whole series is pretty week as a fighting game. The only thing that attracts people to dead or alive anything is sexy anime women. Now dont get me wrong there's nothing wrong with sexy women but a whole game based on that is kinda  :boring: <

ravedrifter

• Archived User
Dead Or Alive Ultimate
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2005, 07:41:00 PM »

Yea.. if you just wanna pick up and play, or are new to fighting games, DOA could be for you. But as i said the gameplay and fight mechanics are not really deep. Going back, i would give it a 6-7, but in someone elses view it could be higher, im not trying to be biased though.

Not a deep game like Vf4evo.. tekken 5, but still pretty fun. <

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
Dead Or Alive Ultimate
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »

I liked DOA since I played number 2 on the Dreamcast and I think this one is just beautiful, the fighting elements, background and sher combo's just made this my fave fighting game of all time beating out Marvel VS Capcom 2 and Rival Schools <

mcbraders

• Archived User
Dead Or Alive Ultimate
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 05:44:00 AM »

if you use all the counter techniques and grab moves in dead or alive you'll realize its a pretty tough fighter especially since its rock hard to pull off a grab move on hard difficulty :(  but my favourite fighter on xbox so far is soul calibur 2 brilliant game <