xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Soul Calibur 2  (Read 291 times)

metalhead212

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« on: July 13, 2004, 12:12:00 AM »

Being a big fan of soul edge and soul calibur i got this game hoping that it was going to live up to its brothers. Needless to say I was NOT dissapointed. This game is not as great as soul calibur, but it is most definetly a fantastic fighter.

Visually this game has greatly improved upon the foundation set by soul calibur. The back grounds are very detailed and the fighters are detailed to the extreme. The fighting system is very fluid, and the transition from each charecters fighting style is very smooth. The basic learning curve is about 30 min. or less. Anyone who has exp. in Soul Edge or Calibur will be jolly stomping their opponenets right off the bat, because the game literally fits like a glove. The fighting engine, though slightly tweeked, plays just like Calibur but even better. It is evident that Namco wanted this game to speak for itself, and it does just that. In fact, untill you turn the xbox off it never shuts up.

Story wise the game is like Calibur. You have to complete it with a charecter to find out what is going on with them. You are kind of given little tid-bits on what is going on, but the whole thing is revealed  at each charecters "slide show". Luckily the game is not based around its "enthralling" story.

As far as replay goes this game most definetly will have the player comming back again and again. The rewards earned throughout the game are very worth the trouble spent earning them. The game offers a wide variety of charecters to choose from right off the bat, and it even offers a special charecter depending on what platform the game is bought for. (Spawn for xbox, Link for Game Cube and Heihachi (sp?) for PS2). On top of that many old charecters make their triumphant return alongside some new fav's.  Even though the Weapon master bonus game is not as interesting as the original soul calibur's, and a little to long, players will still find themselves giving up many hours of their life to it.

The only real gripe i have about the game is the fact that on no matter what difficulty you play the A.I. is either oddly "retarded" or insainly violent. It really has no "middle of the road" setting.

My final verdict on this game is that it is worth every penny spent on it. The game plays as fast or as slow as the player wants it to, and it looks as great as it plays. The only thing i did not like about the game was that they downgraded kilik's ability to own.   <

Helios

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2004, 04:43:00 AM »

Yea I enjoyed Soul Calibur 2.... it was one of the only fighting games that I didn't get bored of quickly (DOA3 was terrible) Anyway I finished it in a couple of days but played it alot after.... kool game! 7 out of 10  <

jesus_clone

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2004, 05:01:00 AM »

Soul Calibur 2 to me was one of those games which you wont be disapointed to hire or buy (GO DO ONE OF THOSE THINGS NOW) It certainly rocked my jocks one i will play over and over 8/10  <

Morbidsoul

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 08:49:00 AM »

QUOTE (jesus_clone @ Jul 13 2004, 11:53 AM)
Soul Calibur 2 to me was one of those games which you wont be disapointed to hire or buy (GO DO ONE OF THOSE THINGS NOW) It certainly rocked my jocks one i will play over and over 8/10

Agreed. If I totally love a game, I'll buy it, even if I have it on the HD.

Games I bought
Soul Calibur 2
Halo
Fatal Frame
THPS 4
Morrowind (for the wife, she loves it)

They all deserved my money ihmo.
 <

MrBones

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 02:39:00 PM »

I grabbed Soul Caliber the day it came out on DC, being a huge fan of Soul Blade and Soul Edge, but SC2 just didn't add enough to actually make it a new game.  It was cool to play as Spawn for a bit, but other than that, it wasn't much different from the first one.

On its own, I'd say an 8/10, but considering the first game, I'd give it a 6.  <

shane_is_my_name

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 11:03:00 PM »

SC2 is one of the best fighting game period,  pop.gif

lebriznon

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 11:33:00 AM »

great game, excellent mechanics, tons of moves.  Very similar to SC on the DC, but hey, great game nonetheless.  If something works, why change?  Kilik sucks in extra mode, he still owns in regular.
drawbacks: ringouts are still stupid. game doesnt look as nice as doa3, and neither are the stage designs.  <

deathx88

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 03:10:00 PM »

at first i thought this game was stupid, but after i played this i thought this had to be one of the best one on one fighting games, next to bushido blade 2 that is

i give this game a 10/10  beerchug.gif

deadman44

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 11:26:00 AM »

nay  muhaha.gif

itsmee129

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 03:42:00 PM »

nay sad.gif

total_ass

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2004, 10:19:00 AM »

this is a great game.  <

VitoDauelo

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 07:48:00 PM »

I thought soul caliber 2 was entertaining for the first few hours..then it got kind of easy and repetitive...im not really into those fighting games as i am with FPS or 3rd person shooters though.. <

SC2

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 06:41:00 PM »

I agree very repetitive and entertained me for like an hour. Yanay

But unfortunatley it was the same hour I signed up for xbox-scene.com ......  tongue.gif

mattyj25

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2004, 02:19:00 AM »

I say it's definitely a phatazz game.  The music and sound effects are awesome in 5.1.  The graphics are about the only thing that dissapointed me.  They are good no doubt, but there just wasn't any wow factors to it like on the DC.  On the DC, the stage that you fight cerventes with the sun in the background and the lighting were just phenominal (sp?).  Taki's board was also pretty sweet on the DC and the lighting on Inferno's stage was also pretty cool.  

Anyway, SC2 is a must own for a fighting game fan on Xbox.  DOA3 bores me to tears.  Kakuto Kojin is garbage and for some reason I am just not feeling the stiff controls of MK:DA or MK whatever.  SC2 is smooth, pretty, sounds good, well balanced and some of the moves are plain crazy (specifically the one where taki flies into the air holding on to the opponent and comes flying back down with her feet in their back....looks like it could hurt.  

Anyway, 9.2 for me

Happy New Year everybody! <

JohnnyTsunamiq

• Archived User
Soul Calibur 2
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2005, 01:19:00 AM »

I say yay, but mostly only for 2 player games. <
Pages: [1] 2