xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: We Have A Bad Name  (Read 337 times)

CattyKid

• Archived User
We Have A Bad Name
« on: February 05, 2006, 01:57:00 PM »

First off, I have NEVER used a modded Halo 2 map or anything of the like.  This thread is only posted here as "modding" is the biggest problem in Halo 2.

From Wikipedia
Modding is a slang expression for the act of modifying a piece of hardware or software to perform a function not intended or authorized by the original manufacturer.

To get to the point, we have a bad name.  Us, the Xbox Modders.  I used to tell all my friends on my friends list about Xbox-Scene and things of the like.  I also told them that I really enjoyed modding.  I'm sure you can imagine some of the reactions I got, expecially when playing with people not on my friends list.  This was at a time when I was naive to the whole modding problem.  
After talking with people like that for a while, I realized what some of them had come to think of me (I used to play a lot and got pretty good).  They thought that I was using modified content.  It cast me in a bad light.
In summary, whenever someone mentions "modding" around the average (especially hardcore) Xbox fan (we at X-S are niot average), they are looked down upon.  It is assumed that they simply mod to unbalance the fairness in online gaming.
At least, this has been my experience.

What do you guys think about this?

BirdofPrey

• Archived User
We Have A Bad Name
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 02:52:00 PM »

Its just an excuse, I got accused of modding a couple days ago because i completely owned their team. People use it to whine because they're upset. The average user doesnt even understand what mods are.

CattyKid

• Archived User
We Have A Bad Name
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 08:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(BirdofPrey @ Feb 6 2006, 04:23 PM) View Post

Its just an excuse, I got accused of modding a couple days ago because i completely owned their team. People use it to whine because they're upset. The average user doesnt even understand what mods are.

Yup, I agree.  It certainly is an excuse, and sometimes you'll even get reported for it.

Alex548

• Recovered User
We Have A Bad Name
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 08:58:00 PM »

The word modding is used constantly to refer to people who are using hacked maps on H2. It has nothing to do with us, but since we also use that word to describe what we do with consoles... we tend to get grouped together & unfortunately we get cast in the same bad light as those cheating bastards.

I stopped using the phrase "I mod xboxes" a long time ago because of this crap.

BanjoK

• Archived User
We Have A Bad Name
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 09:20:00 PM »

Most people are ignorant and do not understand most things. Most people are influenced on how to think by the media and the media generally portrays subjects that have a large possibility of negativity as completely negative. Realizing that the ratio of negative coverage is much greater than the non-negative coverage sees this. Modding and hacking are subject areas, which in the media are shown in a very bad light. Most people are ignorant and do not care to learn about the world so they keep on thinking that all they see and hear is the whole picture. People generally do not think for themselves. That needs to stop.

melongstrike

• Archived User
We Have A Bad Name
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Feb 5 2006, 09:28 PM) View Post

I used to tell all my friends on my friends list about Xbox-Scene and things of the like.

Big mistake, I never tell anyone about this place especailly on-line jerks I don't know. Soon word gets around and people are trying to shut the site down for shit they they don't fully comprehend. Only 2 of my really good friends ever heard me talk about the scene.

chorizo1

• Archived User
We Have A Bad Name
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 10:30:00 PM »

there are also 2 types of "modders"

1) the guy who mods a map to LOOK different, adds skins and alt. cars  etc. (harmless)

and

2) The Fucking cheaters that brought this shit all down. all they want to do is mod the game to CHEAT on LIVE.

I feel for the first group, as you can't get any help with doing any of the basic thigs  mentioned, because you get lumped to those other fuckheads.

Maertz

• Archived User
We Have A Bad Name
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 08:23:00 AM »

i agree with the 2 types of modder but it does seem lame when people say your modding just beacause your etter than them. i agree we have a bad name also in a way.

CattyKid

• Archived User
We Have A Bad Name
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 07:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(chorizo1 @ Feb 7 2006, 12:01 AM) View Post

1) the guy who mods a map to LOOK different, adds skins and alt. cars  etc. (harmless)

Yeah, this stuff is fine and can really extend the life of a game that someone has purchased.  It's too bad that these things couldn't be released on LIVE as free downloads.  Some of them are amazing (at least they look amazing, I've nver used any).  Maybe, in the 360 era, MS will allow for user-created content.

Maertz

• Archived User
We Have A Bad Name
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 09:42:00 AM »

maybe at least like unreal tournament where they give you tools to mod it and have a competition for skinning the game. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

guitarfrk

• Archived User
We Have A Bad Name
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2006, 02:01:00 PM »

agreed..
 what really pissed me off was seeing the same ppf of warock every damn time id get it..

theyd think theyre all studly jus bc they know how to apply a ppf to the map

koala-sniper

• Archived User
We Have A Bad Name
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2006, 04:21:00 PM »

In my opinion, to use modded skins or possibly even stuff is fine just as long as they stay off of live and just play with friends on 1 console.

BanjoK

• Archived User
We Have A Bad Name
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2006, 04:35:00 PM »

Any modification at all is harmless. The only thing wrong is cheating.

CattyKid

• Archived User
We Have A Bad Name
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »

Once again, I totally agree with what everyone is saying.  We should be able to use things for our own pleasure that extend the life of the game and place EVERYONE on equal ground, but as soon as someone cheats, they should burn muhaha.gif .

koala-sniper

• Archived User
We Have A Bad Name
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2006, 05:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(CattyKid @ Feb 8 2006, 09:38 PM) View Post

Once again, I totally agree with what everyone is saying.  We should be able to use things for our own pleasure that extend the life of the game and place EVERYONE on equal ground, but as soon as someone cheats, they should burn muhaha.gif .

Agreed. Cheating is what kills the fun in games.
Pages: [1] 2