xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Advent Rising  (Read 145 times)

atomheartmother

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« on: May 31, 2005, 09:09:00 AM »

Well I plan on picking up Advent Rising when it comes out this week but what scares me is no reviews are out yet and that normally is a sign that a game sux! So before I plunk $50+ down for it I was wondering if anyone has found a review or better yet played it?  beerchug.gif

crobar

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 11:49:00 AM »

i saw some in game video over at ign, looked choppy and lame...but that might have been early in game footage

poiygon

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 11:58:00 AM »

There is supposed to be a contest starting June 9th (last day of school for K-12). For 6 weeks there will be clues placed on the Advent Rising website to locations of hidden "A" symbols. The first person to find each "A" will be rewarded with a prize. There will be a grand prize of $1,000,000 at the end of the six weeks. More information about the contest can be found here: http://www.adventtri...ws_release3.htm

Azin

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 03:49:00 PM »

just got the game today, if you play it from the HD it runs good, but from cd, it can blog down a bit...

other the that the game is good, infact i love it.. good story lots of action..
better then halo 2 in my book jester.gif

Static X

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »

Aside from the targeting being the worse part of the game, I don't think it's that bad. Just frustrating as hell when you have a lot of stuff around you.

Azin

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 05:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(Static X @ Jun 2 2005, 01:18 AM)
Aside from the targeting being the worse part of the game, I don't think it's that bad. Just frustrating as hell when you have a lot of stuff around you.

tonloc79

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »

I put about an hour into the game and was extremely dissapointed. to u few who say you like it how long did it take until you started to enjoy it. is it worth another shot or should i shit can it! beerchug.gif

Hoogabooga

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2005, 09:19:00 PM »

Yup, with this game i was HORRIBLY disappointed.  Only reason i keep it is because in a few days itll become an interactive lottory ticket

crobar

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 07:03:00 AM »

well if you dont like it what dote you like about it?
we want feed back on the game so we know if its worth getting not comments like "i was dissapointed" i was dissapointedin halo 2 doesnt mean its a bad game...

LESTAT

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 03:58:00 PM »

I'll put in my 2 cents worth.

I finished it in a day.

Its a good game with a nice little "end game" if you will, after the credits. So sit thru the fantastic voice of Charolette Martin, the International Childrens Choir, and the Hollywood Studio Choir along with some fantasticly scored music and you can play one last level.

Now the good and the bad in no particular order.

1)
absolutely some of the worst frame rates i have seen yet on the xbox. DVD or hard drive the game lags something terrible. Even the pre-rendered scenes show sign of lag for some reason. O_o
Why the game lags i have no idea, there are far more graphically advanced games than this one.
The game lags even in enclosed area's such as rooms or hallways. where graphics usage is at a minimum.
Outdoor area's have some lag but not as much as indoors it seems. But they could have cured the outdoor lag with some fog, which you will be hard pressed to find in this game. Its all wide open.
2)
Its a beautiful game with nothing we havent seen before in the special effects area. But none the less it is a good looking game.
3)
Its a mixed bag of games we've already played many times over.
Halo and Halo 2, Psi-Ops(levitation and other psi powers.) Maybe a little Legacy of Kain. (without the blood sucking)
4)
Its an infinite continue system. Which some may find nice and others find cheesy. For me its a little of both. You simply start from the last chekpoint instead of the entire level.
5)
Enemy AI - Very nicely done, They attack in groups with massive firepower which will kill you in a quick hurry if you dont have the Shield Power and the Push power.
6)
Camera angles are spot on for most of the game, there are a few spots the need some work but its nothing horrible.
7)
Targeting, aka "The Flick System"
Its great, but not perfect. Basically all you do is flick your right thumb stick in the area of the next enemy or the one you want to target and your auto-targeting system targets him. Its not without its faults though and it can be hard to target things at times. Or when there are alot of enemies you may spend time cycling thru the enemies to get to the one you want, like the big mech instead of the little guys.
8)
Vehicle driving should have been done another way. It's done the Halo style with your camera controlling the steering of the vehicles, which makes it near impossible to control it at high speeds. which you wont be doing much of.
9)
BUGS
a)
many times during the game you will find yourself at an elevator that wont work or a door that may not open. (99% of the timne its a n elevator) Why does this happen ? i have no idea but i believe, after much testing and frustration its because you and the enmy may have caused too much damage and damaged the lift itself. Yes you heard me correctly. Damaging the environment can sometimes be a bad thing. although most of the time it serves to your advantage to destroy anything and everything.
When the lists dont work your best off to start the level over simply because it seems that the check points are placed at a point where sometimes  the lift is already damaged.
I say many times, and i mean many times. enough times you'll want to quit the game and take a breather.
cool.gif
Weapon reloading can take an excessively long time sometimes, enough of a period that you can get yourself killed.
c)
Absolutely the worst lag ive ever seen. Riddick and Doom3 never lagged this bag.
there is no reason for it, other than it was rushed out the door at the last minute without taking the time to optimise the graphics. After being in development for so long i think they pushed it out without tweaking it.
Im surprised their QC lab let it go with the horrible frame rates and 1/2 working elevators.
10)
SOUND
a)
Good voice acting but nothing spectacular.
Cinematic and game play voices are such that there are times where you cant understand them or hear them properly.
cool.gif
An orchestral score that is very smooth and cinematic to the flow of the game.
Although they repeat the same song or variation of the same song throught the entire game which very quickly becomes quite annoying. They could have done different songs instead of the same song over and over and over and over and .. .. .. .. .. ..
c)
weapon and other sounds are done well enough. nothing special nothing bad.

Over all its a great action game that moves along at a nice pace but its a game on Rails. you cant go wandering all over and discover new things, cuz there is no where to go. you are stuck on the beaten path and thats it.

Your character has powers that are seen in the cinematics that you dont have in the game. A better and higher Jump, a Squeeze power that you wont see til the very end of the game. And during the 1st 1/4 of the game when the alien ship is downed and Gideon is falling from the sky he turns himself into a type of meteor, which i think might be the time shifting power.
I was hoping after playing thru it once and starting a new game you would have something special but i was wrong. Its just the same game over and over.

I have to say, aside from the crappy frame rates, and the elevators its a very well laid out game with great graphics, gameplay and storyline.
But it has little to no replay value.  This is just another game where if your careful and dont go plowing thru the game like your hellbent to see the credits you can pretty much get everything in the game. Or close to it. so there isnt much of a point of going thru it again.

Multiplayer would be useless as the frame rates would simply create havok for online play and make it impossible to accurately create an online environment.

I like the game but not enough to keep it.

crobar

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 08:01:00 AM »

sounds like a renter to me thanks for the heads up

LESTAT

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2005, 08:12:00 AM »

and do NOT forget that holding the black button down and clicking your left and/or right trigger gives you the secondary firing mode for every weapon, AND PSI POWERS.

just hold black. and flick the right or left trigger and you will see the little icon in the corner turn black signifying secondary mode.

the only weapon or power that does not have a secondary mode is the Push power.
frankly you dont need it lol. i just wish it was the crush power that you see in the ending.

there really are only 2 powers you need during the entire game.
Freeze which is the 2nd power for the ice power.  and the blue flame power.

just freeze them and throw a fireball and thats all she wrote.  and it works for every enemy but 1 in the game. the guys with the staffs who reflect your powers. but it works on them too if you break their guard.
and yes Mech's freeze also which was a little cheesy i thought.

the 2nd power for flame is pretty impressive also which is good for dispatching groups of enemies.

lastly.... when in doubt.  puase the game and hit.

up up down down left right left right white black X    you have to do it each time for everything you turn on or off.

and one last bug. and this happens in the entire game.

If you go to far in each level.. meaning jsut kick the hist out of everything., too fast.. the game wont continue, you sort of have to take your time and kill and make your way thru the level with a bit of caution. if you dont, the sequence that should happen next wont and you'll be stuck at that part of the game and have to reload your checkpoint or the entire level.

i played thru it a 2nd time and believe me... its definately a 1 time thru game.

prankfurter

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2005, 08:38:00 PM »

lestat you described the game exactly how i would good review biggrin.gif

notsodiseased

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 12:46:00 PM »

Im playing it right now. i almsot gave up on the game too (keep in ming I always play on the hardest difficulty) It takes about 4-6 hours for the game to get really good. Once you get back into space and get your TK powers the game gets slightly better. but it really picks up when you get the Surge Push. Charge it up and youll see what im talking about. after that weapons are truly secondary.

Camera/targeting system = D-
Powers/weapons/enemies  = A-
Having to fight a boss then fight halfway across the level for a single checkpoint = F

Whole game (IMHO) = A-

Almost forgot but I also love how the use cinematics for loading screens. Much more enjoyable. Look at the games files. 80% of its size is movie files

crobar

• Archived User
Advent Rising
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 07:36:00 AM »

after playing it last night ive desided that:

its buggy as hell/amazingly cinimatic wiht a well told story

i love what ive played so far ...its a very engaging story
but it IS buggy as hell... you will see character models jump around
and fly off into the sky right before cut scenes
and the physics tend to mess up pretty bad too...i launched into the sky by diving at some stairs....
i wonder if they used a custom built game engine or somthing else cause the game just doesnt follow its own rules...
bottom line they needed a better engine to run this game cause itsan amazing game...in theory
Pages: [1] 2