xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Enter The Matrix Pal Retail  (Read 596 times)

devlkore

• Archived User
Enter The Matrix Pal Retail
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2003, 02:45:00 AM »

QUOTE (Southparksam @ May 18 2003, 09:38 PM)
Okay, I know this is one of my first posts so you are not inclined to believe me but here goes.

I had been working on this one since before the game got released in PAL stores (I work in a retail store and of course we recieve it a little bit before it is supposed to be released.

I thought it was going to be easy (hadnt read anything about the NTSC version in the forums or anything)

So I tried XBCOPY.. That did not work at all, it bottomed out after about 5 minutes... So I popped the disc in and had a look at what was on the Disc over the network... At first glances it looked cool so I transferred it to my PC.

Again all went well.

So the i tried to FTP it back.

Looking at the FLASH FXP log I noticed that some of the files were not transferring... Low and Behold they were longer than 42 characters... Well this pretty much screwed me round so I went back to the drawing board...

After getting frustrated after I little while I looked through the contents of the disc again. Seeing lots of wad (which i think of as pak) files and the basic directory structure it reminded me a little of quake. And as I remember from quake it will retrieve all files from a Directory no matter what they are named... They just need the right extension...

So I tried renaming the 40 files that would not transfer to anything.

Then I also ran ISOCRAXTION on the default.xbe cos I assumed it would have media protection.

I FTP'd the files back to my XBOX and TADAAA!!!!! It works perfectly.  I have played it through completely with Niobe and am Half Way Through with Ghost and it is working perfectly... No sound problems and HUGELY better loading times than the disc.

So in short..

FTP all files to your pc.
Rename the offending long file names (easiest way that I have found since doing it manually is with Project X's PX-MATFIX.BAT)
Run ISOCRAXTION on the Default.xbe

Wikkid! I hope this helps out some of you guys having issues with the PAL version.

Bear in mind that this is just for the PAL version.... I dont know if it will work at all with the NTSC version.

Does this mean if I run the NTSC patch, but keep my retail PAL default.xbe, the game will work fine?

Fine meaning full sound?

Strud1512

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2003, 07:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (Futhark @ May 19 2003, 09:33 PM)

!!!!!!!!!!DAMN I think I've got it!!!!!!!!!!!!:
- Rename all files & linked files to the same shorter one. (use the NTSC batch-file)
- Search for the common string of the linked files in the xbe with a hex-editor and change it to the shorter one, in some cases at different location's in the XBE.

***UPDATE***
I've patched the XBE with a hex editor. All the links to the renamed files are in there but still when playing with niobe I've got no sound at the postoffice. Can anyone PM/email/ give me a link to the ->original<- XBE from the NTSC game ? I want to scan the original and the patched version for differences.

I'm close but I'm missing something here....
This is my first patch, can anyone give me some feedback ?

You are correct - the batch files renames almost 200 files, although only ~40 of them actually have long filenames. This is because only some 'base' text that the filenames are constructed from is actually stored in the XBE. If you change this text to shorten a long filename, you must rename all the linked files too.

eg
It has this in the XBE:

B1_PO_05_G_LARGE_STORAGE_ROOM

This text is used as the 'base' text for the following files:

particle_B1_PO_05_G_LARGE_STORAGE_ROOM.txt
ptexture_B1_PO_05_G_LARGE_STORAGE_ROOM.txt
tB1_PO_05_G_LARGE_STORAGE_ROOM.wad
hB1_PO_05_G_LARGE_STORAGE_ROOM.wad
pB1_PO_05_G_LARGE_STORAGE_ROOM.wad
vB1_PO_05_G_LARGE_STORAGE_ROOM.wad
ims_B1_PO_05_G_LARGE_STORAGE_ROOM.txt

I did a hex edit on the PAL XBE using the patched NTSC XBE and batch file as a template. Both XBE files are almost identical, except for the actual hex location of each text string.
Only 24 text strings need to be changed, but this affects the 200 files renamed in the batch file.
I then ran the batch file to rename all the files and replaced my PAL executable with the one I edited. I can now play all the way through with either character with no freezing/sound problems.

opjose

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2003, 09:20:00 PM »

QUOTE (pjb911 @ May 14 2003, 03:35 PM)
This method should work for NTSC versions as well.

Put game in my EvoX X-box 30 gig HDD

Used a DVD to HDD transfer program run from my Launch Menu, Apps

Program is called PxHDDLoader1.1

Transfer all files and didnt need to patch game at all!!!!!!

I am one happy dude!
biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Yup, this worked just fine for my NTSC version though I used Avalaunch to do the Xfer.

And yes I finished the game as Niabe and Ghost...

No dirty disk errors.

DarkVala

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2003, 04:01:00 PM »

I put ETM to my 120G hd and it plays fine
I have the PAL verison

Might try make a back up disc incase the kiddies get their grimy hands on the original hehehe

dv

DarkVala

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2003, 05:52:00 PM »

Okay made an ISO of ETM, burnt to dvd-r but it just hangs on a blank screen

any ideas?

xionanx

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2003, 03:36:00 AM »

Made a backup using boxplorer, I just selected all the files except the ones that won't copy.  I have made it to the ?sewers? with ghost, to the airport with niobe, and completed the "hacking" BS.  Eerything has worked fine so far;  No locking up, perfect sound, ect.  Whatever those files are, they must not be very important.

Just so you know, I'm using Avalaunch 0.45 as my main dash, copied a retail NTSC version of ETM, I used XBOX Xplorer (didn't copy the 40 some odd files, I didn't count so I'm not 100% sure), using latest xecutor bios.

Just the same, It would probably be a good idea for someone to find out excatly what is in those files.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]