xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How To Create Black Arrow Maps?  (Read 240 times)

StriderX7

• Recovered User
How To Create Black Arrow Maps?
« on: May 09, 2005, 03:29:00 PM »

Anyone know how I would get around making maps for Rainbow Six 3 Black Arrow??

If you have any info, give me a shout!

IronestMaiden

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »

tiny red car found out how to do it by using premade textures that were already proven to work with the black arrow engine,i would say get ahold of him as he has made working maps and nobody else from the first one has a fuckin clue

xbill

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »

It's possible to make maps for Black Arrow as long as you set the game type availability correctly for the R6InsertionZones and be sure to set the PlanningFloors to non-negative numbers as well.    Basically, you use the same methods for creating maps for R63.  

You can use any textures you create as well as existing BA textures.  The same goes for static meshes, too.  I've created a Black Arrow test map that is simply four connected rooms with a few exploding barrels and some cube meshes I created.  I also used textures I made and tweaked up some silly emitters.   If I can find a reliable file host, I'll share them with everybody.  I'd like to link to the files from this forum so everyone can check them out if they want to.

Digital Marine

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 11:55:00 PM »

Hey xBill, I just bought a hosting today, so once they activate it maybe I can lend some to you.

But yes, Ive made a Black Arrow map too.  I used old textures and created my own and it all works.  Hey Bill, you good at making maps?  I would like to build some freaking nice and professional maps, but nobody knows how to build them...and I dont want to do it myself!

xbill

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005, 01:28:00 AM »

Hey, DigitalMarine,

Thanks for the hosting offer.   I've got a host - sort of - but I could always use a mirror.  PM me for a link.

I think i'm somewhat proficient at making maps for R63 and Black Arrow now.  I've created a few maps for R63 and a  few test maps  for Black Arrow that are stable in Survivor game type.   I've got zones, anti-portals,  brushes (solid, semi-sold, and non-solid), static meshes,  insertion zones, skyboxes, emitters, among others pretty well figured out.

My biggest challenge right now is getting the lighting not to look like crap.  The textures of the walls often look blotchy with red, green, and grey splotches, expecially in dark areas.   Although, I am getting close to a good mix of hue, saturation, brightness, and ambient lighting to minimize these ugly blotches.
I've studied the origianals to get an idea of how the developers did it.   It seems to require just the right number of lights.  Too few, and it gets dark and blotchy, too many and you get glaring washout.   If anyone has a tip for good lighting on xbox maps please post.  
Yeah man, i'm very much into making maps.   I'm still learning but I think I've made a lot of progress.  I'm going to try to put together a decent tutorial on how to make maps for R63 and Black Arrow for the Xbox.    I found that DreamWithMe's "tutorial" was basically right from the RVSmaps.com website and seems lacking in detail in my opinion.  I must give him credit for getting it to work on the xbox, but there's plenty more that needs explaining.
What kind of stuff are you working on?  Do you have a map or two you could share ?

This post has been edited by xbill: Jul 18 2005, 08:38 AM

Digital Marine

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 09:57:00 PM »

Hrm, all im working on is making a good map!  I can get some lighting down, just depends on the day...  But yea, I can create static meshes, import textures, export textures, export/import static meshes, and a lot more.  The latest thing I was working on was terrain, and I think I got a hang of it.

And the last maps I made were to help my friends be stat whore's on Xbox LIVE.  They can throw a grenade in tourist hunt and get 160 kills...  One map ive been working on here and there is a map called "Pistol Wars".  Ill try getting a picture and the maps up sometime.  My ISP is down, so im using dial up...

thattinyredcar

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 09:34:00 AM »

Oy, it's easy to fix yer lightning just go to level options and set your ambient lightning, probably about 75 if you want just everything casually lit.
BTW if you need help with the editor just ask me

Digital Marine

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 06:04:00 PM »

Oh, I never thought of that.  I would always try setting a ZoneInfo and setting it that way.  I guess your way would make more since!  Thanks for the tip, ill try it whenever I work on a map again!

IronestMaiden

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 02:37:00 PM »

this movement needs to start again.over the course of the next few weeks(i used to have a copy of ravenshield and athena sword but lost it in a pc restore),we(the people) need to start up the map building project that used to exist for the old rs3.I remember many of the really good maps that are already made so people dont have to put time into making them tho im sure people will want to as well.I'm mainly just writing this to tell everybody who is interested that they should gear up to contact each other so we can start pumping out a few good maps aweek,and keep this killa game alive for atleast till lockdown comes out.ill send a few pm's out now

xbill

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2005, 06:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(thattinyredcar @ Jul 22 2005, 05:09 PM)
Oy, it's easy to fix yer lightning just go to level options and set your ambient lightning, probably about 75 if you want just everything casually lit.
BTW if you need help with the editor just ask me

I've used the level's ambient lighting settings before but it doesn't eliminate the blotchy effect, and individual lights are still needed for most lighting situations.  I've also tried turning off the lightmap compression, but I still see red/green/gray blotches  - almost like square patterns of color.  

I can only guess from your post when you say 75 that you mean View -> Level Properties -> ZoneLight -> AmbientBrightness.  
You also have to set the hue to something around 32 otherwise everything gets a red (0) hue.  I usually set the saturation somewhere between 150-180.
If you could post your settings for individual lights (LightBrightness, LightHue, LightSatutation) as well as the settings in Level Properties - that could be helpful.

Thanks.

StriderX7

• Recovered User
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 02:46:00 AM »

Well why not create a new group geared towards making maps for BA, they had the M.A.P for R63.

I can provide hosting and a quality website for free if anyone likes the idea!

thattinyredcar

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2005, 04:32:00 AM »

Yea were working on  getting a dev team together, we juz need sum pro mappers. (well i'm slightly pro at making maps)
I dunno but it would be cool if we could get lots of people together and make a new add on disk or something, juz suggesting.

StriderX7

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2005, 04:36:00 AM »

Sweet, that'd be something I'd like to be part of. So who is gonna be in this "alliance" then?

Digital Marine

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »

Sounds interesting.  I like creating/editing maps, so I will have fun!  I can host the maps (400 mb monthly bandwidth is all i have) if anyone else doesnt want to.  But hell, I've been wanting to do a little group like this for a looooooong time, and now it seems like we might get something going!

StriderX7

• Recovered User
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »

Well I have a massive reseller with loadsa bandwidth and space, so if any of you guys (Digital Marine,xbill,Tinyredcar and others) are still interested, contact me on msn - its in my profile. I reckon something big could get started!
Pages: [1] 2