xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Is Dlc Signed?  (Read 199 times)

feet14

• Archived User
How Is Dlc Signed?
« on: December 02, 2004, 08:18:00 AM »

Can anyone tell me how dlc is signed to a particular Xbox? Is it just on the serial/mac address in the EEPROM, or does it use other values, like the HD Key?

chilin_dude

• Archived User
How Is Dlc Signed?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 09:23:00 AM »

I believe it is simply signed with the eeprom, because people can share dlc if they all have the same eeprom.

DOS4GW

• Archived User
How Is Dlc Signed?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 01:42:00 PM »

Both eeprom and hdd signatur. No problem cracking it, but you'll need the new and updated xbe for the tracks (render update). And the xbe needs a patch itself. Only a few people have the knowledge of how to patch those xbes.

knatsch

• Archived User
How Is Dlc Signed?
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2004, 03:39:00 AM »

Only a few people have the knowledge of how to patch those xbes.

Why do these people don't share this knowledge? Can MS easily change this position in the .xbe and then the search starts again at zero?

Unfortunately I only have one set of downloadable content, otherwise I could look for the differences by myself.
In which files exactly of the PGR2 Booster Pack is individual code saved?

Modiller

• Archived User
How Is Dlc Signed?
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 10:24:00 PM »

why share something we work so hard for? - sigh..n00bs expect everything handed to them -

Bjodom

• Archived User
How Is Dlc Signed?
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 08:11:00 AM »

I find it funny how everybody advertises that they know how to do something that others don't. Then when they are asked how, they say their not telling because they don't want everybody else to know. Well, why the hell do you tell us you know how to do it then. You know everybody is gonna ask. Then you compain for them asking.

I'm also sure theirs some people in here coming and acting like they know how to go on live with backups. They figure since they don't know, they will act like they do and not tell anybody anything.

Look how hard xecuter worked and all they ask is money for the chip. Bios and dashs are all free. I'm sure that was a lot harder to figure out then whatever feet14 was asking for.

locutus of worm

• Archived User
How Is Dlc Signed?
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 08:31:00 AM »

QUOTE (Modiller @ Dec 17 2004, 07:27 AM)
why share something we work so hard for? - sigh..n00bs expect everything handed to them -

maybe some of us don't have all the time in the world to spend finding ways to patch .xbe's to recognise unsigned files, when the people who supposedly know are unable/unwilling to give help.

between having a job/girlfriend/life, most people will put researching into unknown areas of hacking to the bottom of their prority list, don't you think? laugh.gif

DOS4GW

• Archived User
How Is Dlc Signed?
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 02:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (locutus of worm @ Dec 17 2004, 05:34 PM)
between having a job/girlfriend/life, most people will put researching into unknown areas of hacking to the bottom of their prority list, don't you think? laugh.gif

Rather rude insuate people with good understanding and knowledge of the Xbox itself and code in general doesn't have a life/work/girlfriend since they have time for personal interest and hobbies.

locutus of worm

• Archived User
How Is Dlc Signed?
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2004, 06:13:00 AM »

i read through my earlier post, and realised that i probably insulted some very intelligent people, so for that i apologise.

A person with a good understanding of how the xbox works CAN have a life/job/girlfriend, as they won't have to spend a lot of time learning the basics, because they already know the basics!

To other people however, the basics, along with the harder stuff can put them off, so they look to other intelligent people and ask them for help.

Who can honestly say that scientists shouldn't release information, because some people can't understand the principals behind say, the cure for a disease?

DOS4GW

• Archived User
How Is Dlc Signed?
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2004, 12:17:00 PM »

QUOTE (locutus of worm @ Dec 18 2004, 03:16 PM)
Who can honestly say that scientists shouldn't release information, because some people can't understand the principals behind say, the cure for a disease?

When there's great danger the substance or "cure" would be misused and cause more trouble, making things just worse.

knatsch

• Archived User
How Is Dlc Signed?
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2004, 02:29:00 AM »

Some Theories:

For a game developer it is possible to verify downloaded content in two ways:
1) offline mode, by hddkey, game key, individual stuff,..
this is of course crackable but needs time to find these keys. and the positions where to save the signatures.
2) online mode, by an additional xbox live check
the content signature is approved online. the correct signature is saved at xbox live so you need to crack xbl in order to play with your modified content online - impossible

If you are a good cracker you can copy the dlc to an other box and resign it there or modify the content. But on xbox live your content will be declared as edited => you cant play online with it.

So if they also implemented method 2) it should be fine to play around with the content. Otherwise we have to think about to force them to an updated .xbe. ;)

I will not support online cheating in any way, I will just achieve to copy the dlc to boxes not registered on xbl.

knatsch

• Archived User
How Is Dlc Signed?
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 11:29:00 AM »

Both eeprom and hdd signatur. No problem cracking it, but you'll need the new and updated xbe for the tracks (render update). And the xbe needs a patch itself. Only a few people have the knowledge of how to patch those xbes.

Why do you need to patch the default.xbe? I tried to duplicate the content and eeprom by myself and it is working nicely! I have both, cars and tracks running on my box! And this one was never logged on to xbl!

DOS4GW

• Archived User
How Is Dlc Signed?
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 11:39:00 AM »

1. If you don't have an eeprom to duplicate.
2. If you've downloaded it from other places than Live.