xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13

Author Topic: Morrowind Goty Modding?  (Read 1493 times)

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2004, 06:56:00 AM »

Yes, I got the PC versions of Bloodmoon and Tribunal working with XBox GOTY. Convert  Bloodmoon.esm and Tribunal.esm to .esp files and merge them with the master (i.e. Morrowind.esm) with TES Construction Set. The instructions are given within this thread and elsewhere on the board. Repeat the steps for all the .esp files you want to add afterward, with a note that you MUST change the mod's dependancies to simply "Morrowind.esm", and REMOVE any dependencies to Tribunal.esm and Bloodmoon.esm. Again, there's a program out there (TESTDK, I believe?) that allows you to do that rather easily.
ALL new media- textures, meshes, music, and (most) sound- work without editing the BSA file. Put new textures and meshes in the /Data Files directory, and put the new sounds in the root (/) directory. (For instance, if you have a mod that adds the sound /a/almexiascream.wav, put almexiascream.wav in the /a directory, NOT the /Data Files directory).
Some sounds don't work- Lilacor *will* not, no matter what I did. Most others did.
Music goes in /Data Files/Music. Easy.
And no, you CANNOT modify XBox GOTY without the PC version of GOTY. It isn't possible any way, any how. You need the Construction Set, and you need the PC ESMs.
I'd like to explain further, but I'm going to Navy boot camp in about 4 hours. I hope ya'll can wing it from here- not that it was entirely difficult to figure out how to do, simply trial and error.

JoJoFunyans

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2004, 08:34:00 PM »

Does anyone know or is thinking about making some way that you can turn on and off the plugins like the PC Version.  I have no clue how you would be able to do this, Im not a big programmer.  Just throwing it out there if this is possible?  Thanks!

-ViciouS-

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2004, 12:28:00 AM »

[EDIT: Nevermind.  I'm a dumbass.]

This post has been edited by -ViciouS-: Sep 8 2004, 11:30 AM

Hopeful

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2004, 12:56:00 PM »

QUOTE (Protocol_Unknown @ Feb 3 2004, 10:22 PM)
ok i got it...any new textures will work with the game...here's what happens

when you copy files to the xbox they get some kind of a timestamp....and morrowind will only use textures that are newer....so....if you copy these new textures on the hd at 5:00 and it loads morrowind into the cache at 7:00 these newer textures wont work, the only way around this is to backup the bsa file...or if the game is on your hd before the textures is copyed.

nobody probably cares...but it could save you staying up all night like I did.

and if you load to many megs worth of textures you'll crash the xbox and get the dirty disk error....this also happens with textures from plugins.

Well for one thing, I care immensely, as the land doesn't look anywhere near how it should on an xbox console and I've been wanting to run somethin to cover up those ugly textures with some of the really sweet hi res ones that are floating around.

Well, I don't know if this will help, but I found a section of the .ini that seems to be related to this timestamp issue you're talking about.  It has options something like "Load Newer", "Load From Archive First", "Use Archive Only", etc... with numbers like -1, 0, and 1 there, so it's got me a bit confused.  Anyway it's a detail that I thought may  help if you're still looking into this.

Xerik

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2004, 11:10:00 PM »

New Strategy..
Doesn't Invovle using PC esm files or always copying to the cache directory.

For goty.

As stupid as this sounds.. open up morrowind.xbe in a hex editor.  Now search for Z:\ ,
replace the first , third, fifth , and seventh instances of Z:\ with D:\

this should be Z:\
Z:\Data Files\
Z:\Data Files\%s
Z:\Data Files\Meshes

The thinking here is that since D:\ is the game "disc" we can force morrowind to look there instead of its cache files.

And it works.

Now just copy all mods into the E:\Games\Morrowind\Data Files\
directory, remebering to removing bloodmoon.esm and tribunal.esm dependancies

Should fix the problem of too many mods causing DDE if a lack of disk space caused the DDE. (since the cahce directory is mostly empty, and if accidentally we're writing to the HD, that's okay)

Possibly has some problems with the local automapping?
Some areas are completly black at times?

Bewarned,  really bad things could happen, this hasent been extensivly tested

Works with
Better Heads (works perfectly)
Better Bodies 2.1 + seemless (perfect)
CI's robes replacement (perfect)
Ademinum Armor? (loads)
LeFemm Armor? (loads)

If this is deemed to work, feel free to make a new topic.

This post has been edited by Xerik: Nov 22 2004, 09:38 AM

osmoscosmos

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2004, 11:57:00 AM »

youve done it xerik, i have about 15 mods going right now, im working my way through quests  to get a full test, this hex edit has blown the lid off xbox mw modding i think. No more drag drop every time smile.gif

graym672

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2004, 01:22:00 PM »

oh shit, this is great...now can anyone tell me some good mods, and where to download them? (morrowind summit doesn't work for me)

Edit: Also, I can't find tesxmc, the link posted earlier in this topic does not work...any help would be appreciated.

This post has been edited by graym672: Nov 27 2004, 11:42 PM

ColdReader

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2004, 09:49:00 AM »

uhh.gif  uhh.gif  where do i get nif files for use with my mods? im using mwedit and stuff but i need nif files for use in game are they on the morrowind dvd somewhere? cause it really bytes

PdogNZ

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2004, 07:50:00 PM »

Thanks for that, Xerik. It seems to be working fine.
Has anyone had any luck getting Hurdy Gurdy's female robe set 2 to work? I guess it's too big because when I try to play with it on there I get a dirty disc error as soon as I get near Ebonheart (thats where the NPC that sells them is).
I tried deleting all the HG robe model/texture files except the dark elf one (that's the only one I was going to use) and I got to Ebonheart and bought them fine, but when I put one on it had a dirty disc error.

the only other mods I have on at the moment are better bodies and better faces

[edit] I got it to work. The textures were WAY too big so I had to resize them to 25% in photoshop.

This post has been edited by PdogNZ: Nov 30 2004, 04:32 AM

osmoscosmos

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #84 on: November 30, 2004, 10:52:00 PM »

at the moment im running the balmora black market trader, the balmora university, balmora pvt tower, ALL of rhedds face plugins, dremora armor drops, real signposts and a cool wizard hat mod i found smile.gif thanks again xerik

osmoscosmos

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #85 on: November 30, 2004, 10:54:00 PM »

one thing also, make sure your mod works from the beginning of the game, i had a few that i had to get rid of because sellus gravius wouldnt let me talk about Duties, i was stuck in the office tongue.gif

graym672

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #86 on: December 01, 2004, 07:17:00 PM »

Once again, if anyone could help me find tesxmc I'd be grateful.

chirurg

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2004, 05:44:00 AM »

ohmy.gif Guys please help!
I've registered on xbox secene because of this thread biggrin.gif . Can you tell me how the hell i can hex edit Morrowind.xbe , bevause all I see when i open that file is some number and leters in columns ph34r.gif>
Or can someone share his modified Morrowind.xbe??
please rolleyes.gif
help ohmy.gif

hammy_69

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2004, 03:11:00 PM »

umm, yeah...

There's really no need to hex the xbe, just use mods as described above.  Just google Morrowind Mods for a location to download from.

lhb12778

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2004, 05:24:00 PM »

Look people, it pc mods work fine with xbox morrowind goty edition...you cannot mess with the cache, though...follow these instructions written by hopeful, and you can't miss...i'm telling you because i've already added about 75 mods to my xbox goty edition, and no flaws...YET...we'll see...i'll paste hopeful's instructions right here so you all can see...btw, u will need the full version (morrowind, tribunal, and bloodmoon for the pc to do this...but it works, so shell out the quid ya cheap bastards)...

If anyone still hasn't got this figured out, Here is a seemingly dependable way to merge the files.

What you will need is

1) Xbox Morrowind Game of the Year Edition. (Yes the Game of the Year Edition. Do not use any files from the regular edition of Xbox Morrowind.)
2) The 3 morrowind PC esm files. All 3 of them for the PC. You do not use the Xbox morrowind.esm. You end up replacing the xbox file with a merge of 3 PC files.
3) The Elder Scrolls Construction set, and the entire pc version of morrowind Game of the Year including expansion packs installed on your computer. There is absolutely no way to get around this part.
4) TesDTK, The Elder Scrolls Dependancy Toolkit

I don't know if this is the only way, but it seems like a safe, reasonably reliable way to get the PC master files to merge and work on your xbox and then start merging mod plugins into it.

Before you start editing the files with game tools, you'll want to open your morrowind.ini for the PC in your notepad or any word editor. Let's enable merging and skipping redundant error messages. Search for the line "AllowYesToAll" and make it = 1. If it's not in the .ini file you should edit it in directly under the "ThreadSleepTime" line. (Directly under it - no spaces.) Then search for the line "WhoCanMerge". If it doesn't exist in your .ini file put it 3 spaces below the "Open Preview" line. (I don't know if spaces affect anything here. Put a space under the YourUserName=1 line too.) Where it says "YourUserName" I mean that what goes there is whatever the name is that you log on to your computer with. (there are no spaces at all in this unless your user name has spaces.)

[WhoCanMerge]
YourUserName=1

First off, you will need to create the files for merging. Take TesDTK and use it to make .esp files out of Tribunal.esm and Bloodmoon.esm. Take these files and COPY them to your PC data files folder. Do not move them. Merged files disappear into the morrowind.esm. Also COPY the original PC morrowind.esm file into your TesDTK folder with your other two files and always COPY them from this folder without moving them. It's important that you keep these files since they're all irreversable once merged and are all needed to make the esm. (I'm going to say it again so that you know it wasn't just a typo. You use only the PC files. There are no xbox files involved in the merging at all. This is a step by step explaination that doesn't leave anything for you to assume. That's what I wanted when I didn't understand how to merge the files.)

Then, open The Elder Scrolls Construction Set and open "File>Data Files". Select Tribunal.esp. (Put an x in the box next to it by double clicking.) Press "Set As Active File", and press OK. Let the files load up, which may take a few minutes. Open "File>Data Files" again, and remove the x from morrowind.esm, so that the only x is next to tribunal.esp. (Not sure if this step is necessary but it works.) Press the "Merge to Masters" button. Carefully select morrowind.esm from your (PC) morrowind data files directory. Relax while the files merge, and make some toast. You don't make toast, you blow the whole procedure.

Then, Put an X in the box for Bloodmoon.esp. Press "Set As Active File", and press OK. Let the files load up, which again may take a few minutes. Open "File>Data Files" again, and remove the x from morrowind.esm, so that there is only an x for bloodmoon.esp this time around. (Still Not sure if this step is necessary but hey.) Press the "Merge to Masters" button. Once again select morrowind.esm from your (PC) morrowind data files directory. Relax while files merge and overwrite the esm once again.

Fire up your FTP program, smiley.  Connect to the ftp of your xbox. Now it's time for a badass little maneuver. Rename your original Xbox Morrowind.esm to Morrowind.esm.xxx if you want to back it up, then commence to ftping the PC Morrowind.esm into your Xbox Data files directory. Now check to make sure if to your pleasant surprise, your morrowind is up and running. When that works, jump up and down three times and yell "woohoo" for me, cause I said so.

Now to try to get a mod working. One thing at a time. Copy the texture, icon, meshes, music, etc. folders into (Xbox) "Morrowind\Data Files" directory. This is the "data files" files folder inside of whatever folder your Morrowind Game of the Year Edition game is in. Move the sound folders into the root folder. (The root folder is the folder that your morrowind game is directly in. Basically, it's probably called something like "F:\morrowind" in most cases. The sound folders are usually somethin like Vo, Fx, etc.)
(I'll say it again. For mods that are merged into a PC Morrowind.esm, you never have to copy any files to the cache for any reason. For these mods, all required textures, meshes, and icons folders work directly from the data files folder of the game; all required sound folders work directly from the root folder of the game. In that order, those folders are probably usually F:/Games/[Your Morrowind Game of the Year folder]/Data Files and F:/Games/[Your Morrowind Game of the Year folder])

Anyway, now load the .esp for the plugin in TesDTK and use it to delete bloodmoon and tribunal dependencies, but keep morrowind.esp dependencies. (I'm not sure if you're supposed to add morrowind dependency if it doesn't exist) Press the version button and select your pc morrowind.esm to match the versions. Then you wanna move the new .esp file from TesDTK into your (PC) data files folder and then merge it like you did for the bloodmoon and tribunal esp files. (Go to data files, Select plugin for your mod and set it as the active file, press ok and let it load, then open data files again and make sure the esp is the only thing with an x, and press the merge button, sit back, etc.)

Now, connect to your xbox via ftp, but don't ftp your new .esm just yet. Go to your tested and working .esm and add an extra extension (A file extension is like .xxx, .bak, .poo, etc. Use whatever letters or numbers you want) to it so that you have a backup of a working file. Some people might want to make a new numbered backup every time if they have a lot of space. (For example, something like Morrowind.esm.b01 - so that you can go back however far you want.) Now ftp your new esm file into your morrowind data files directory. That's it, bobby! If you have a mod that no other mod conflicts with, and it is clean and compatible with the xbox version, it is now up and running. I don't think it's wise to add more than one mod at once. I'm not sure if it can even break multiple mods that would otherwise work together.

That's it. Step by step with nothing left out. If anyone has any other tips to ensure that mods work, or to make unclean or not-xbox-ready mods work, please add. Thanks.

This post has been edited by Hopeful on Oct 11 2004, 03:53 AM
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13