xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: Morrowind Goty Modding?  (Read 1457 times)

DragonOmega

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #150 on: November 17, 2003, 09:31:00 AM »

So far, putting it in the game's Data Files directory seems to make no difference.. it only needs to be in cache.

That may be for most mods, but instead of risking it for the ones with outside dependecies...I'd rather be safe.

Do you mean an original, non-GOTY Morrowind default.xbe? If so, why?

My GOTY default.xbe didnt recognize plugins in the cache and freezed on modified morrowind.esm files (which was another possibility)

This is what i "think" is happening when u go thru original...

1. The original default.xbe loads up morrowind.esm and the esp plugins into a memory cache
2. After loading, default.xbe has some sort of version conflict which invokes a fail-safe that redirects to the GOTY morrowind.xbe's menu
3. Now the morrowind.xbe can load all the save games successfully with the mods preloaded

This may be all wrong, but from a programming point of view it seems logical. Another possibility is that the old default.xbe just switches a flag on startup that remains constant after program initiation which allows the recognition of plugins.

If you can get it workin w/ GOTY default.xbe thats awesome, but this method works flawless for me.

So I don't think I would call this a complete success.. I think that some work should be done with the XBE

You have fun with that wink.gif

DragonOmega

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #151 on: November 17, 2003, 09:33:00 AM »

hammy the only diff i saw from what you did and what i did was the cache directory...check X:/ and see if youve got them there

ChrisF

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2003, 10:06:00 AM »

Seems workable - thanks for all the effort.

Can anyone post information on any mods/plug-ins that do not work?  Especially compatibility with the expansion specific mods.

Zoopster

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #153 on: November 17, 2003, 06:26:00 PM »

Thanks for the info DragonOmega! This is welcome news indeed. It will take me a little while to try this since I will need to rent a copy of the original Morrowind (got rid of it when I bought GotY), but I will certainly try these recommendations and see if I can make the mods work once more!

Thanks again to everyone!

Cheers,

Zoop

DragonOmega

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2003, 07:22:00 PM »

Update! My apologies to Jagger...after trying the GOTY default.xbe again, the plugins loaded unsure.gif  unsure.gif

I suggest trying the GOTY edition xbe before resorting to the old default.xbe, but if you wanna be sure, the old one works 100%

patspei

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2003, 11:45:00 PM »

for me it works with the original goty xbe i copied the plugins in all folders the chache the savegame and the folder where i have goty on the hdd it works perfectly

EDIT: and i have to edit the ini

DragonOmega

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2003, 01:26:00 AM »

Ok so this is actually a buttload simpler than i previously thought...the ONLY thing that needs to be done to run a mod is to put the files in the X:/Data Files/ directory. It seems updating the morrowind.ini file has no effect. I have 11 mods running so far, including the huge GIANTS mod which adds tons of creatures.

Mechroneal

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2003, 04:51:00 AM »

QUOTE (Jagger @ Nov 17 2003, 09:26 AM)
2. Put the esp file in both the GOTY/Data Files/ directory AND the cache Data Files directory

So far, putting it in the game's Data Files directory seems to make no difference.. it only needs to be in cache.

3. Copy an original morrowind default.xbe to the GOTY default.xbe

Do you mean an original, non-GOTY Morrowind default.xbe? If so, why?
The GOTY's XBE works just fine for me...

All I've had to do is edit the INI file, and put the esp in the cache.. Nothing else...

Edit: My only problem with this setup is.. If my cache gets cleared, I have to copy everything over again. I can't just load and go like with the original. So I don't think I would call this a complete success.. I think that some work should be done with the XBE, so that we can drop the stuff in the game's folder, edit the INI, and have it load the added stuff, like the rest.

Just my two cents...

user posted image

Orochi

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2003, 11:43:00 PM »

QUOTE (DragonOmega @ Nov 18 2003, 11:26 AM)
Ok so this is actually a buttload simpler than i previously thought...the ONLY thing that needs to be done to run a mod is to put the files in the X:/Data Files/ directory. It seems updating the morrowind.ini file has no effect. I have 11 mods running so far, including the huge GIANTS mod which adds tons of creatures.

Dragon Omega:

Arg LOL.. I wish I had thought to visit the board a couple of hours ago before I came to the same conlusiong through trial and error. XDAll the same though, this is great, now all those people who have a soft mod dont have to worry about their hdd not being big enough to hold morrowind.

-Orochi

DragonOmega

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #159 on: November 19, 2003, 06:13:00 AM »

Ya i find it rather comical how big and complex we were thinking it to be, when all along we just had to put the files in the right folder. I'm not quite sure about tribunal or bloodmoon mods yet, but tonight i'll give 'em a shot.

midgetfighter

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #160 on: November 19, 2003, 07:39:00 PM »

I think the best site for morrowind mods is
http://www.rpgplanet...ntrols/mods.asp

it has over 2000 unofficial mods and

http://www.euro-morr...=plugin&code=04

is another good one but doesnt have as much. Also the official morrowind forums are good for finding new mods as well. I hope we can find a more permant solution though.

sammyjojo

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #161 on: November 20, 2003, 12:20:00 PM »

I've seen a few posts on here where people seem to claim that the morrowind.ini file is not being read.   Well, after much editing and restarting the game biggrin.gif, let me tell what you what I have found.  It seems that after the first time the game is loaded, regardless if it's loaded off the dvd or hd, it will save the "settings" (stuff in the morrowind.ini).  From what I've determined, this is the only time the morrowind.ini is read (could be wrong, but this is what it seems like).   So if you have a version on your hd and your load the dvd version it doesn't re-read the morrowind.ini on the dvd, it just uses the saved "settings".  So the only way that I've gotten it to completely reload the morrowind.ini is to erase the "settings'" save.  Problem with this, is that the only way to erase this file, is to delete all the saved things from morrowind, because it doesn't let you delete this file seperately.  So if you want to keep your saves, just copy them to your computer or use a memcard.

BTW this was all done to the non GOY edition, but it should still apply.

I've only tinkered with the morrowind.ini a little, just mostly wanted to push the fog back.  Here is a picture...fog pic, if anyone wants to check it out.

Hope this info helps, if it's old news then sorry smile.gif

Splinter

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #162 on: November 20, 2003, 02:23:00 PM »

midgetfighter, thanks for the links. I went to the first site and looked through 100 mods. i downloaded 4 of them. I have GoTY on my hdd. One added a new city, 1 added a pet shop where you can buy animals to attack for you ar carry things (like the guy in mournhold, but with more animals). They each had many files, so I installed them like I did my other ones.

I got 2 more, both were just 1 file each. One added a ring that turned you into a vampire while it is on. The second gets the Ordiantors to stop attacking you on site if they are. I put those 2 on my hdd too. I went to load my last game, I got a DDE, tried 3 more times, and the same thing. I removed 1 mod, still got it, removed another, still got it, removed the last 2 and it was fine. BTW I tried to load many saves, even ones before the plugins and they all gave DDEs before I removed the new ones.

I then tried to put the single file ones back on. i tried 1 with no luck, then the other, same thing.

I can't figure out what is causing this. I don't see how it can be doing this, when the other 4 or 5 plugins worked fine. Any ideas anyone?

DragonOmega

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #163 on: November 20, 2003, 07:24:00 PM »

the bad plugin prolly requires bloodmoon or tribunal...even though GOTY includes these they arent read correctly for mods. I know, its a bummer i have had same problem sad.gif

If anyone knows how to fix the bloodmoon/tribunal DDE errors pls let us know.

Jagger

• Archived User
Morrowind Goty Modding?
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2003, 04:52:00 AM »

QUOTE (midgetfighter @ Nov 21 2003, 06:45 AM)
if so maybe if you take out the reference to the tribunal.esm and bloodmoon.esm in the mod with a hex editor it might work.

Outta curiousity, I went and got a mod that required both Bloodmoon, and Tribunal. Tried it, didn't work, as expected.
Then I went ahead and did what you suggested, only instead I replaced both bloodmoon.esm and tribunal.esm with morrowind.esm.. and it worked.

So it seems that mods that require one or both of the expansions, will work.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13