xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How To Make Ppf Patchers For Halo  (Read 93 times)

xbill

• Archived User
How To Make Ppf Patchers For Halo
« on: September 05, 2003, 07:32:00 PM »

OK,

PPF Studio is for making patch files that can easily be patched into any file.  You can share them with others to give them mods you create.

The top section of the program dialog is PPF Output Control.

The PPF File (Output) is the file you are creating.  Type a meaningful name like: pistol2x10x.PPF

Patch description is whatever you want to describe your patch as. "My cool 2x+10x pistol zoom"

If you want to share it with others, it might not be a bad idea to include some of the descriptive things and whether it's for PAL, or NTSC systems.

File_id.diz is just a text file you create that gives more of that descriptive info and whatever else, credits, shoutouts, etc.

The middle section of the dialog is PPF Creation Control.
Use the General Tab, not the Xbox tab.    The Xbox tab is for ISOs.   We just want to patch files.

Here, you specify two files. the original un-modified file, and the patched file.  The patched file is the file you hacked with a hex editor to make the mod you want.

Here's an example:
It's easy to mess with the zooms on the weapons.  Let's say you want to make a patch to modify the zoom on the M6D pistol - you want 2 zooms intead of the default 1 zoom.
Find the offset for the zoom entries (you'll have to do some searching) in the map file you want to mess with.
Change the data for the zooms and save the file as a new file (different name than the original)    Now you should have two map files, the original file, and the one you just modified.

Basically PPF Studio reads 2 input files, compares them and creates an output file that is the difference between the two.

Using the Options section, you can reduce the time needed to generate the PPF.  If PPF Studio has to compare two huge files, it could take a while.  So,  since you know the offsets for your mod, specify a range slightly larger than where your mod occurs in the file.   These entries must be decimal, by the way, PPF Studio won't take hex values here.

Next, click Create PPF-Patch and your PPF file is built.
Simple!  Now, close PPF Studio.

Using HCE, or PPF-O-Matic you can apply/re-apply the patches to your maps.   HCE is so easy to use, I would recommend it.  Just upload your PPFs to HCE's PPF folder.

I made several zoom PPFs for AoTCR.   2x+10x for the Pistol, and 10x+100x(not really 100x, but really far!) for the sniper rifle, and 2x+10x for the Rocket launcher.

I hope this helps.

xbill

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2003, 09:18:00 PM »

You're using a hex editor, right?  And you have a listing of the offsets?

The offset listing includes:
The name of the item.
The offset (the location in the map file) of the item
>>>The Identifier (a unique code)<<<---Wrong!
>Not the identifier, but a hex code.<---Correction!

Pick an item you want to change.   A weapon for example.
Let's replace the pistol's bullets with rockets.

Look at your offset listing and find the rocket projectile, not the rocket launcher weapon.
Write down, or remember, copy to clipboard, the hex code.

Using your hex editor, seek to the offset address for the pistol bullet projectile.
You should see the hex code for the bullet projectile at that offset.
Replace, or type, or paste in the hex code for the rocket.

Save the edited version as a new map file.

Now you can upload the map back to your xbox, or make a PPF, or both.

>>>I edited my mistake.  I hope I did not confuse anyone.<<<

damatrixz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2003, 09:50:00 PM »

how do i apply ppf patches to halo, i got ppf matic, and i have to use a iso,
is there a patcher that patches the defaultxbe

i want to know the windows way

and the hce way and r we speaking of hce, i believe we are speaking of hce i use v5

and do i put the ppf files near the defaultxbe in the hce folder or were

darebel

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2003, 10:03:00 PM »

another thing to make ppf patches is MapModder v3,u open the cache map and press make ppf patch also u can add menus manually to make easy access to level skins

xbill

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2003, 10:24:00 PM »

Do not patch default.xbe.  That is the program executable.  You want to patch the cache maps on the Y drive.

It's very easy to apply patches with HCE.  It's all done on the xbox.

Just upload your PPFs to the PPF folder.

Using HCE's menu you an select the PPF you want to apply.
Then select the map you want to apply it to and patch it.
Then you launch Halo from HCE.