xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Awsome Motherfucking News! Found Out How To...  (Read 124 times)

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
Awsome Motherfucking News! Found Out How To...
« on: August 21, 2003, 08:35:00 PM »

Not to sound like a ranter, but this is the fucking shit. Instead of editing the temp files in the X: partition (and losing the hacks when you load a different map or game), I've found out how to edit the perminent map files (stored in the map subdirectory of Halo)!

This is what you'll need:
HaloMapItemEditor v1.2.1
Halo ripped onto the HDD (could probably do it from a DVD-R, but you'd have to re-burn each time you apply a different hack)
a Hex editor
basic knowlege of how to apply the hacks so far

All right, first, perform the steps required to get the temp cache file of the level you want to edit.
Change it however you like. Use any hack that suits your whims.
Now, fire up HMIE and load the map you've edited.
Hit the "compress" button. Rename the file to the appropriate map's filename (for instance, if you use the cache file of Blood Gulch [cache003.map], name it "bloodgulch.map", without the quotations).
Go to the subdirectory of "maps" of where Halo is ripped (i.e. F:\Games\Halo\Maps).
Back up the original map first. If you fuck it up, you'll have to re-rip your copy of Halo.
Then, copy your file over. You'll notice it's slightly larger (mine was 23.9MB, size of an unmodified map is 21MB even). You shouldn't have to worry about it, as long as the uncompressed map (i.e. what you pull off of X:) is 47MB (for multiplayer) or 230MB[?] (for single player).
Clear your X:, Y:, and Z: partitions, and start up Halo. Load up the map and notice that your hacks work without editing the temp files! No longer do we need to worry about the cache being cleared and having to re-upload a hacked cache file!
I've tried this with AR bullets -> rockets, flying Ghost (hover) and said Ghost shooting tank shells, and it worked! If it works on the temp files, chances are that the hack works on the perm maps too!
I hope ya'll enjoy it as well as I am! Happy PERMINENT hacking! smile.gif

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 08:43:00 PM »

QUOTE (Gillian_Seed @ Aug 22 2003, 05:41 AM)
: O....  I've gotta try this out.  Kudos to you, Large Dopant White.

Confirm or expel ASAP. It'd be wonderful if this isn't some nasty little fluke. Just make sure you back up the original files.

EliteModz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2003, 08:50:00 PM »

I tried it and my xbox caused a 3 alarm fire, burning a nearby nuclear reactor down, therefore killing about 19,000 people. Man this fulke sucked....I was just sitting there like whoa whats with the green oooz...........god dang man.....Not funny

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2003, 08:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (JakeDaGreat @ Aug 22 2003, 05:48 AM)
I think single player files are 247mb...

Halo ripped onto the HDD (could probably do it from a DVD-R, but you'd have to re-burn each time you apply a different hack)

So, if you rip it without DVD-R, you don't have to re-burn every time?

Yeah, because your map files are on the HDD if you've got your copy on the HDD.

I tried it and my xbox caused a 3 alarm fire, burning a nearby nuclear reactor down, therefore killing about 19,000 people. Man this fulke sucked....I was just sitting there like whoa whats with the green oooz...........god dang man.....Not funny

uhh... k....

Videogamebuyer14

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2003, 09:02:00 PM »

QUOTE (EliteModz @ Aug 22 2003, 05:50 AM)

You really are retarded.

EliteModz

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 09:04:00 PM »

lmao

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 09:08:00 PM »

I'm patiently awaiting Seed to come back with a little electronic confidence, here.... biggrin.gif

Videogamebuyer14

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 09:11:00 PM »

QUOTE (Large Dopant white @ Aug 22 2003, 05:35 AM)
Not to sound like a ranter, but this is the fucking shit. Instead of editing the temp files in the X: partition (and losing the hacks when you load a different map or game), I've found out how to edit the perminent map files (stored in the map subdirectory of Halo)!

This is what you'll need:
HaloMapItemEditor v1.2.1
a Hex editor
basic knowlege of how to apply the hacks so far

All right, first, perform the steps required to get the temp cache file of the level you want to edit.
Change it however you like. Use any hack that suits your whims.
Now, fire up HMIE and load the map you've edited.
Hit the "compress" button. Rename the file to the appropriate map's filename (for instance, if you use the cache file of Blood Gulch [cache003.map], name it "bloodgulch.map", without the quotations).
Go to the subdirectory of "maps" of where Halo is ripped (i.e. F:GamesHaloMaps).
Back up the original map first. If you fuck it up, you'll have to re-rip your copy of Halo.
Then, copy your file over. You'll notice it's slightly larger (mine was 23.9MB, size of an unmodified map is 21MB even). You shouldn't have to worry about it, as long as the uncompressed map (i.e. what you pull off of X:) is 47MB (for multiplayer) or 230MB[?] (for single player).
Clear your X:, Y:, and Z: partitions, and start up Halo. Load up the map and notice that your hacks work without editing the temp files! No longer do we need to worry about the cache being cleared and having to re-upload a hacked cache file!
I've tried this with AR bullets -> rockets, flying Ghost (hover) and said Ghost shooting tank shells, and it worked! If it works on the temp files, chances are that the hack works on the perm maps too!
I hope ya'll enjoy it as well as I am! Happy PERMINENT hacking! smile.gif

Worked for me! Bravo! Make a tut!
Naw, I'm just kiddin, but It sounds like a great idea. biggrin.gif

But, do you realize that you'll never be able to play Internet Halo again. However, it'd be better if you only edited the SP maps.

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2003, 09:12:00 PM »

QUOTE (Videogamebuyer14 @ Aug 22 2003, 06:11 AM)

Really? OH YEAH! CONTRIBUTION TO THE SCENE!!!! I'M L33+!

You damn bastard! I'll gut you! tongue.gif
j/k

But, do you realize that you'll never be able to play Internet Halo again. However, it'd be better if you only edited the SP maps.

That's why you make a PPF file and distribute it to all the ppl you want to play with. That, or revert back to the original map if you want to play stock.

Videogamebuyer14

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2003, 09:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (Large Dopant white @ Aug 22 2003, 06:12 AM)
QUOTE (Videogamebuyer14 @ Aug 22 2003, 06:11 AM)

Really? OH YEAH! CONTRIBUTION TO THE SCENE!!!! I'M L33+!

You damn bastard! I'll gut you! tongue.gif
j/k

That's why you make a PPF file and distribute it to all the ppl you want to play with. That, or revert back to the original map if you want to play stock.

lol had you going, did I? Hopefully someone'll try it out, tho. I hate the cache editing, takes too long, and when some bastard switches levels, all that work is gone.  laugh.gif

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2003, 09:56:00 PM »

I guess you could do one of the software exploits, load Halo, then the map, reset, and put the unmodded copy of Halo in... it'd run off of the cache files then. At that point, however, you may as well get a modded copy of Halo running the exploit.

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2003, 10:04:00 PM »

Not to be a post whore, but the next thing to be done has to be adding new map selections. I'll give a shot at it, but I'm so far from being a l33+ haX0r it isn't funny.

ImpulseAdidas

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2003, 10:08:00 PM »

yes finally!! I have two halo games on the xbox. One of it for hacked sayings and the original on the drive. Now if i just hack one of them the other one (original) won't be affected right?? because it doesn't use cache and its permanent. so the unmodified one should work perfectly. i'll try this now. thanks.

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2003, 10:19:00 PM »

Yeah, as long as both are full copies, i.e. have a seperate maps subdir... in other words, just having 2 diff XBE's in the root won't keep the maps stock on one and modded on the other.

EDIT: It might still affect the unmodified maps on your other copy of Halo if you don't clear the X:, Y:, and Z: partitions before loading the unmodded copy... it'll load from the cache first, remember. This works in the inverse - use the unmodded version and then switching to the modded version without clearing the cache would make the maps play as stock (remember, it'll look in the X:, Y:, and Z: partitions first).
You could either use boXplorer to delete 'em, or simply load a different map than the one you plan to play (i.e. load Hang 'Em High, exit, then load your modded version of Bloodgulch), as choosing another map will clear the cache.
Someone really needs to hack the XBE so that the cache goes in a different partition than normal (say, Y: instead of X:), so you can have two copies of Halo and not worry about clearing the cache each time you want to play Halo stock (just make it point to a different partition to save and load the temp map files).

ImpulseAdidas

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2003, 10:39:00 PM »

so if i redirect the path for temp saves for the modded one, i would be able to have two totally diffrent games right. one stock the other modified. how can you redirect saves to the cache. this seems easy.
Pages: [1] 2 3