xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Idea For Halo Hacks Over Lan...  (Read 113 times)

LinksAwakening

• Archived User
Idea For Halo Hacks Over Lan...
« on: August 14, 2003, 05:05:00 PM »

Ok... First let me start by saying that I don't think any of what I'm about to say has been addressed before, but I'm sorry if any of it was... Also, I hope I can explain my theories clearly...

Ok, we are all pretty much aware that the new Halo hacks will not work over LAN, due to the differences between the people's game setup. However, my idea is that all hacks that only affect YOUR "Inner World" would work completely...

Let me explain my "Outer World" and "Inner World" theories:
 Most of us have tried the FlameThrower hack by now, and we found out that it only does damage when used from higher ground or while jumping. The reason (in my theory) for this happening is because (although it my look like it on your "Inner World") you are not aiming at them...

If you've ever looked at someone holding a FlameThrower, you have noticed that they do not hold it upright in the firing position... They hold it, and it faces the ground. The way the game works is that the choices and moves you do on your screen (your "Inner World"), affect what is actually happening in the "Outer World" (i.e... what everyone is doing).

This, however, (because the FlameThrower is incomplete), is not the case with the FlameThrower...

No matter where in your "Inner World" you aim your FlameThrower, the actual you (in the "Outer World") is always shooting the ground, because the Inner/Outer relationship of the FlameThrower movements was never finished...

This is why the FlameThrower works on higher ground, because it is still pointing down, but it is now pointing towards the enemy. And it works by jumping, because the jumping portion of the FlameThrower Inner/Outer relationship is completed (i.e... your "Inner World actions affect the actual "Outer World" actions for your character)...

As I've explained (hopefully well), your "Inner World" only has some effects on the "Outer World"...

If, for example, you edited your game to have Banshees in place of the Warthogs (meaning in YOUR "Outer World", all Warthogs are Banshees) and you played someone without this same hack, the game would crash (because your "Outer Worlds" are different)...

However, if you use a hack that ONLY affects your "Inner World" (such as adding zoom to weapons), because this has no effect on the "Outer World", the game would not crash, as the "Outer World" isn't affected by zoom at all (zoom only would affect your "Inner World")...

It's almost like 2 different "Worlds"...

You see your "Inner World", and you friend sees their "Inner World", and the "Outer World" (or what is actually going on) is "hidden" in a sense...

This would mean that if you replaced the Assault Rifle bullets with Flames, it would work perfectly, because the Assault Rifle is set up so that changes in your "Inner World", affect the actual "Outer World" (i.e... you are ACTUALLY aiming where your "Inner World" says you are)...

So basically, my theory is that any hack that would ONLY affect your "Inner World", such as adding zoom, would work correctly over a LAN, as it doesn't change the "Outer World"...

I will try this out as soon as I can...

I hope I've explained my theory clearly enough, and I would like to hear opinions on whether or not this would work on LAN...

okayama

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 05:26:00 PM »

That makes sense. Tell us what you find out. cool.gif

bebeshotz

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 07:43:00 PM »

hmmm ill take the blue pill....

Sir_Vival

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 08:12:00 PM »

Well, like all multiplayer games, Halo checks using checksums..or something...haha.  I don't know too much about it myself, but you are right, usually some things you can change, while others not.  Some games (Such as CS) check everything though, to try to prevent cheaters.

Doesn't work out too well anyways though, lol.

Sir_Vival

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 10:08:00 PM »

Yeah..haven't played CS in a while, heh..they probably added that because it couldn't really allow any cheating anyhow, other than possible an invisible skin or the like...Anyhoo, it all depends on what the xbox checks.

Sir_Vival

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 11:59:00 PM »

Well, I must have been mistaken.  But I know for sure that in BF1942 if you're playing on a pure server basically nothing can be changed.

Anyhoo, point still stands.

dmauro

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2003, 08:59:00 PM »

This is not true.  The inner/outer world, while it may hold merit as a good idea, is not at all true.  The XBOX probably checks whatevre it feels necessary, and I have even had a game go out of sync because the other players XBOX knew that I had a full clip when I should have been short one after shooting off one round.  Anyways, the reason for the flamethrower thing is just a descrepancy between fp and third person animations, while the third person ones seems to take be the ones the count.  While you may think you are aimed at them, you are only looking at them, and the game puts the fp model in your hands facing them because it doesn't realize that your flamethrower is not pointing at them, it's pointed at the ground.  The fp models and animations don't check with the third person ones to make sure they are doing the same thing, they assume they are.  But perhaps if someone discovers something that the Halo does not checksum, we could start a list of things.  But so far it has been VERY picky in my experience.  I suggest using the same .map file.

NVShacker

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2003, 08:36:00 AM »

Why do we WANT to do that? To encourage cheating? Plus, it would probably have to be disabled on the other Xbox.

Gibby 117

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2003, 09:09:00 AM »

guys you want hacks her you go how to hack ONLINE, get AIm, a send eachother the pff files smile.gif easy and alot of fun, i am always up for messing around on halo just im me

AIM: Gibbystation

TigerHawk

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2003, 05:48:00 PM »

QUOTE (LinksAwakening @ Aug 15 2003, 02:05 AM)
Ok, we are all pretty much aware that the new Halo hacks will not work over LAN, due to the differences between the people's game setup.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I may just be misunderstanding you, but I though you could run system link if they are exactly the same?
Thanks,
Tiger

bombzhome

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2003, 06:45:00 PM »

wink.gif

.:**:.

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2003, 07:25:00 PM »

I talked about this befor
here is a link to my post.
If you want more info i'll get some.

LinksAwakening

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2003, 09:02:00 PM »

QUOTE (TigerHawk @ Aug 31 2003, 01:48 AM)
QUOTE (LinksAwakening @ Aug 15 2003, 02:05 AM)
Ok, we are all pretty much aware that the new Halo hacks will not work over LAN, due to the differences between the people's game setup.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I may just be misunderstanding you, but I though you could run system link if they are exactly the same?
Thanks,
Tiger

They can be run if the hacks are exactly the same, yes...

But even if one person decides to alter even one value, the game won't be able to be played online...

Dycedarg

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2003, 02:32:00 PM »

My theory on this -

If it were at all possible to use mods over a network game with an umodded box, there WOULD be certain types you could or could not do.  You could seperate these into roughly two different categories.  Mechanics and extremities.

Mechanics would be things that are sent over the network or things that affect actual gameplay.  A Shotgun that shoots rocket launchers, a Banshee, a character model, or a zoom or all be examples of these.  All of this information is critical to the engine of the game.

An extremity would be something negligible, like a sound file or a bitmap.  They're both something that your X-Box is going to process independantly from other X-Boxes when you're networked.  But there are still limitations I think would exist.  You couldn't just swap the bytes for different bitmaps for things(Like changing the bitmap for a visor to a bitmap for a rock), as when the game engine started the two different X-Boxes would be trying to load up different data.  Instead, you would have to go in and manually change the actual bitmap that would be loaded.  Doing this would require a texture injector/extractor.  The same could be said about the sound files.

Again, this is all theoretical and I doubt any of it would actually work, as I speculate that the entire map file is checked for discrepancies.

Terminat0r

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2003, 03:08:00 PM »

That makes sense.
why would bungie add this?