xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My New Car Shopping List!  (Read 258 times)

Granulated

• Archived User
My New Car Shopping List!
« on: November 21, 2005, 09:44:00 PM »

Well, I've had my Satty for almost two years...It's time to start looking for a new ride.  I am incredibly picky when it comes to cars.

The earliest I'll be selling my satty is next summer.   The latest is that following summer.  Either way, that's about 18 months at the most.  I've got a standing offer of $5,500 cash right now...but we'll see what happens.

Here is the list.  Feel free to comment, offer your suggestions, etc.  

All cars MUST be 5 or 6 speed manual, and have <70,000 miles.  
My primitive price ceiling is $12,500

Audi TT
Year:  2000-2002

BMW 3 series
Year:  1997-2002
Engine:  2.5 V6 or larger

BMW 5 series
Engine:  2.8 V6 or larger

BMW M3
Year:  1997-1998
4 door sedan

Chevrolet Camaro
Trim:  Must be SS or Z28

Dodge Stratus R/T
Year:  2002-2005

Ford Mustang
Year:  1997+
Must be GT or SVT trim

Mitsubishi 3000gt

Mitsubishi Eclipse
Year: 1997-1999
Trim:  GSX
or 2000+ GT

Nissan 300zx

Saturn ION Redline
Only car on this list i'm really not sure about.

Saturn Sky

Suburu Impreza
Must be AWD (WRX or RS AWD)
Year: 2000+

Toyota Supra
Year:  1993-1996

Volkswagen Jetta
Year:  2000-2004
Engine:  1.8t or VR6

That's it.  I'm sure I forgot something.  I'll add it in if I remember.

This post has been edited by Granulated: Nov 22 2005, 05:44 AM

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 11:33:00 PM »

Camaros the best bang for your buck IMO. Im also a HUGE fan of the M3. If youre looking at the Sky why not a newer Miata/MX-5? And Id steer clear of any Mitsu product like the plague.

Granulated

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 12:22:00 AM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Nov 22 2005, 01:33 AM)
Camaros the best bang for your buck IMO. Im also a HUGE fan of the M3. If youre looking at the Sky why not a newer Miata/MX-5? And Id steer clear of any Mitsu product like the plague.

Not a huge fan of the Miata.  Granted, I've seen turbos and engine swaps, but it feels pretty underpowered.  Sounds like the Sky is gonna have some bang for the buck, but I doubt I'll find one in my price range in a year or two.  

A 2000 or 2002 Camaro SS is probably gonna be one of the fastest cars on the list.  However, a heavy RWD V8 isn't as practical as some of the other ones, too...

Edit:

I absolutely LOVE the BMW's....test drove a 5 series and fell in love.

This post has been edited by Granulated: Nov 22 2005, 08:23 AM

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 12:26:00 AM »

@Granulated, what do you mean a RWD V-8 isn't practical?  Do you mean in terms of handling?

Granulated

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 02:31:00 PM »

No, sir.  I love the handling.

I'm talking gas mileage, and winter driving.  V8 and RWD are both not what you want in either situation.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 08:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(Granulated @ Nov 24 2005, 10:31 PM)
No, sir.  I love the handling.

I'm talking gas mileage, and winter driving.  V8 and RWD are both not what you want in either situation.

If you get the 6 speed manual you can get pretty decent gas mileage with the V8.  Check out http://www.fueleconomy.gov  Also, would your driving be mostly highway, city or both?  If the BMW isn't all wheel drive or FWD then it isn't gonna make much difference in the snow and the Camaro is a HELL OF ALOT CHEAPER TO MAINTAIN!!!!!!!!!  BMWs are pretty solid cars as a whole but when they do need parts they are damn expensive.

This post has been edited by jesterrace777: Nov 25 2005, 04:28 AM

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2005, 10:24:00 AM »

I would go with the M3.... but good luck finding a decent one for under 30K. So i think thats outta the question. Along with the Supra (most likley), 5Series, and Audi TT. Probably some others too. Look around at car prices, you dont seem to understand how much most of those will actually cost you.

I have a 3000GT and a 5-Series, both have never given me any trouble and are fun cars. I have heard plenty bad about later mitsu engines so id stick with a frist gen 3000GT if you do get one.

TwinBoosted

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2005, 10:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(Hercules Q Einstein @ Nov 27 2005, 02:24 PM) *

I would go with the M3.... but good luck finding a decent one for under 30K. So i think thats outta the question. Along with the Supra (most likley), 5Series, and Audi TT. Probably some others too. Look around at car prices, you dont seem to understand how much most of those will actually cost you.

I have a 3000GT and a 5-Series, both have never given me any trouble and are fun cars. I have heard plenty bad about later mitsu engines so id stick with a frist gen 3000GT if you do get one.

Yeh I would agree with most of what has been said.  I own a couple DOdge Stealths and 3000gt's and they are great cars, but can get expensive to mantain if you don't do your own work.  As for the first gens being the better of the two motors, that's wrong.  The second gens were better motors, well the 4 bolt motor became standard in '93.  Anyways, goodluck finding any of those BMW's or an MKIV Supra for your price.  Also, both are pretty expensive to maintain as well.  I'm not a huge fan of v8's, but I can respect them for their cost effectiveness, and parts availability.  As for how they handle in the snow, well, get some good snow tires and take it easy.  You'd be surprised how well that combo goes in the snow.  OR, you could buy a cheaper car, and a winter beater.  Just some info for you.

mbood82

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2005, 06:50:00 PM »

Good luck finding a V6 Bimmer.  They have inline six cylinder engines.

Beyond that...  is cost of maintenance an issue for you?

Granulated

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 12:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(Hercules Q Einstein @ Nov 27 2005, 11:24 AM) View Post

If you notice the years of the cars I was interested in, the supras and 5 series will be very easy to find in my range.   Maybe finding one in good shape might be difficult, but hey, the fun is in the chase, right?

Here's one completed auction for each of the cars you quoted smile.gif  You may have to sign-in to eBay.

1995 BMW M3 - $11,800

I test drove a 1995 BMW 525i.  Sticker price was $9,885.

1995 Toyota Supra - $14,500

2000 Audi TT - $10,495

The Supra is gonna be hard to find in my price range..I'll admit that...but the other 3 will be easy.

QUOTE(mbood82 @ Dec 14 2005, 07:50 PM) View Post

Good luck finding a V6 Bimmer.  They have inline six cylinder engines.

Beyond that...  is cost of maintenance an issue for you?

An inline 6?  Not uncommon at all in the world of BMW.  Is this going to make them hard to find?  They're everywhere!

I am a college student with no current job, so I'm gonna say yes, maintenance is a big issue for me.  That's the only thing keeping me from buying a BMW, I think.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 01:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(Granulated @ Dec 31 2005, 08:58 PM) View Post

The Supra is gonna be hard to find in my price range..I'll admit that...but the other 3 will be easy.
An inline 6?  Not uncommon at all in the world of BMW.  Is this going to make them hard to find?  They're everywhere!

I am a college student with no current job, so I'm gonna say yes, maintenance is a big issue for me.  That's the only thing keeping me from buying a BMW, I think.

Matts point was merely that BMWs generally don't use V6 engines, they use Inline 6s. Just like that wretched Jeep he drives.

Granulated

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 09:18:00 PM »

Yeah, I definetly meant I6, but I am drunk.

jesterrace777

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006, 01:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(TwinBoosted @ Dec 14 2005, 06:51 AM) View Post

Yeh I would agree with most of what has been said.  I own a couple DOdge Stealths and 3000gt's and they are great cars, but can get expensive to mantain if you don't do your own work.  As for the first gens being the better of the two motors, that's wrong.  The second gens were better motors, well the 4 bolt motor became standard in '93.  Anyways, goodluck finding any of those BMW's or an MKIV Supra for your price.  Also, both are pretty expensive to maintain as well.  I'm not a huge fan of v8's, but I can respect them for their cost effectiveness, and parts availability.  As for how they handle in the snow, well, get some good snow tires and take it easy.  You'd be surprised how well that combo goes in the snow.  OR, you could buy a cheaper car, and a winter beater.  Just some info for you.

Yup, if I granny drive, I find that even my RX-7 can make it on icey roads.  You don't want to know how slow I drive though.  If maintenence is an issue then definitely go with the Z-28.  Experience has taught me that even though certain cars tend to be more reliable than others, previous ownership and parts/labor are far better indicators of what you can expect to pay in maintenence.  If you end up getting two comparably well maintained vehicles (a Z-28 and a BMW), the BMW will probably require just a little bit less maintenence but the cost of parts and labor would be through the roof on the BMW.  Not everyone can work on BMWs, on the other hand, practically any qualified mechanic can work on a 350 chevy blindfolded.  

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 02:49:00 PM »

QUOTE(Granulated @ Dec 31 2005, 08:58 PM) View Post

If you notice the years of the cars I was interested in, the supras and 5 series will be very easy to find in my range.   Maybe finding one in good shape might be difficult, but hey, the fun is in the chase, right?

Here's one completed auction for each of the cars you quoted smile.gif  You may have to sign-in to eBay.

1995 BMW M3 - $11,800

I test drove a 1995 BMW 525i.  Sticker price was $9,885.

1995 Toyota Supra - $14,500

2000 Audi TT - $10,495

uhhhh you did notice that the M3 was not in the years you named. It was a few years older. Plus alll of they cars you showed had alot more than 70,000 miles on them. I stand by what i said, E-Bay is a scam mostly anyway. My friend was trying to buy a car off ebay, almost every car he wnet to see had huge problems they didnt mention. Alot of the time they outright lied.

Honestly i was being truthful. Almost all the cars you named are quite abit out of your price range. Any that does happen to fall in your price range probably has major problems. The Supra is one of the few car you can actaully afford, you just need to get lucky.

Another bit of advice, if your spending over 10K than you really shouldnt buy a car over 10 years old with close to 100k miles. You want one that will last. Ive seen alot of people make the mistake your making where they try to buy a nicer car then they can really afford and then end up with an old car that has major problems and usually expensive cars are expensive to fix.

QUOTE(jesterrace777 @ Jan 1 2006, 09:32 PM) View Post

but the cost of parts and labor would be through the roof on the BMW.

Yeah i will testify to that one. You wouldnt belive how much things that shouldnt even be that expensive cost.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 05:53:00 PM »

I just want to verify what's already been said.
Repair bills on BMWs are gonna be costly. I've looked at 325i repairs before and theyre not pretty.

The reason I was looking at Stangs and Camaros when I was shopping was the value and the repair costs. I can afford to maintain them.
Pages: [1] 2