xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Thinking About A Bike  (Read 414 times)

XBL_SUCKS

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »

Ducati bikes are awsome the 1000 DS looks sweet, I was reading that it's goes somewhere in the neighbourhood of 200 MPH!! if you want something a little less I would get a 999S or 999R here's a link of the bikes Ducati but I like 'em because there Italian made and Italians make great bikes and cars

The Kawasaki ZX-10R Ninja is awsome and on the cheap side I migh add, you can find one used at a dealer or new if you try hard enough here's a link on it Ninja

pepsik

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2005, 04:51:00 PM »

sad.gif

so please be very careful

hoobatech

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2005, 08:25:00 PM »

blink.gif
you should take the rider class, it only costs like 150 here in iowa. you can get your permit before you take it, then take the class and they give the dot test to you and its way easier than the one youd take at the dmv not to mention you dont need to supply a bike. those little hondas make the figure 8 stuff almost impossible to fail on the driving test. Plus most insurance companys will give a pretty good discount if you take it, so it pays for itself in the first few years your riding. unless you use progressive, like me grr.gif they will give you a discount for being a member of honda club of america but not for taking the initiative to be a better rider.

i think i pay $16/mo. liability or $30/mo full coverage for my 79 CB750F. on a rocket you can figure on those numbers going up by 3-4x.

hoobatech

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2005, 08:54:00 PM »

also

The pipes and shocks are kinda rusty on that bike, but some NOXOM and some elbow grease will clean the shocks right up,Turtlewaxs chrome polish will do the trick also. you probably wont be able to clean up the pipe quite as nice, at least around the mounting bracket, but a silver pen from a hobby store will hide it nicely, otherwise you can always go with hitemp exaust paint and make it black.
 Thats a performance exaust on it, its a Vance and Hines, and they discontinued that quite a while ago for what its worth, they usually sell on ebay from 100-200.  Make sure it runs well; with that exaust you might need to change the jets in the carb, but if it runs well at low and high speeds you should be fine.

Shaft drive bikes are nice, one less thing to maintain and part to replace. id say thats an ideal starter bike also you could check out these bikes, i wouldnt go lower than a 650, they will go the speed limit on the interstate, but they are slow getting there

These are all pretty good starter bikes, cheap easy to work on with cheap parts all over the place
70s thru 80s Street Bikes
Honda CB
Yamaha Virago
Suzuki GS, GT, or Buffalo
Kawasaki H 1-2, KZ

Enduro or Dualsport bikes are nice, they handle well, and you can take the paved road or the dirt trail. The downside is that they arn't as fast and are pretty light weight, ala on the highway and a big gust of wind or going the other directon at a semi and you are going to get pushed around a bit. also make sure you get one bigger than a puny 250

Baner

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2005, 10:13:00 PM »

If you want something a bit newer, like stated above, the Honda CBRs are good to start out with. You can get a late 90s/early 00s for 2-4k. Another bike you might wanna consider is a Suzuki SV. Used a good bit in amature bike racing, thier fairly abundant and quite realiable.
I wouldn't advise getting any sort of new bike now... the price tags of new bikes have shot up 3-4 grand since the last year, with many companies releasing improved model options. My brother bought his 02 Suzuki GSXR-600 for 7k, and his 05 Yamaha R1 for 11k, both new.
Check out cycle trader, read some reviews, and figure out what kind of bike you'd want. There's so many different types of bikes, it's hard to not find one that fits ya.

ravage73

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2005, 07:47:00 PM »

My suggestion....don't get a crotch rocket, they're so uncomfortable for rides longer than 20 min.

only if u have a bad back, i can ride mine all day long. but dont get a buell, they are overpriced and uncomfortable as hell. suzuki gsx's and r1's have more of a racing setup with the handlebars being below the triple trees and higher footpegs, so it would probably be best to get a pre 2000 model bike for comfort reasons.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2006, 08:02:00 PM »

So I went to look at that Suzuki Sunday. The add was for a 97 GSXR. The bike was a 95 Katana. Close I guess.....
I've talked to the guy on the phone. Nothings wrong with the bike. It's never been downed. Great shape. Tires are in good condition.......

So here's the list of stuff wrong with the bike
-Tires (Front and Rear)
-Brake pads (Front and Rear)
-Rear Rotor (The most warped, rutted rotor I've ever seen)
-Spedometer doesnt work
-Chips in the paint all over. (Obvious repaint)
-Wires in the front hanging
-Scrapes on the Right Pipe
-Bent Right mirror
-Bent Brake handle on right
-Cracks on righthand side of front visor
-And every body panel minus the visor on the right side is aftermarket
-Dent in right side of tank. (Think maybe this thing was downed)
-Painted black rims that are chipping (Showing the cool pink underneath)
-Leaking fork seal
-Timing Chain needed replacement

All this in maybe the 10 minutes Keith looked @ the bike. (Co-worker whose my bike expert to help me find something solid)
So he looks at it for maybe 5 minutes and then says "Want me to be honest?" And once I answer yes follows it up with "I wouldnt even feel safe riding this. At which point the guy there asks why and Keith rattles off half the shit wrong with the bike. And the guy says, "Well I rode it this morning". And I follow with, "We just drove my truck 3 hours here. That doesn't mean it is in good condition or doesnt need work"
But again the guy insists that he rode it this morning. And Keith explains to him how dangerous it is to ride with the brakes in their current shape. That they could just catch and seize at any point. And then he says something like, "Maybe if you could get this thing for 500 bucks itd be worth it"

So we left. I never would have went if I knew it was a Katana as A.) I dont care for the looks and B.) There's an 02 600 Katana in Uncle Henrys with a fifth the mileage in excellent shape for the same price. Beyond that the guy was totally dishonest about the condition of the bike on the phone. It's worth no where near what he's asking. Talk about a waste of a day.

But today I bought this
IPB Image

_iffy

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2006, 08:58:00 PM »

<link>

ok...

go to "high tech helmet"

click on video
wait for it to load. (30 sec.)

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2006, 03:02:00 PM »

I'd probably be paying too much attention to the super cool technology in my helmet and kill myself. Regular gauges will work just fine.

Perplexer

• Recovered User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »

Nice looking YZF600  biggrin.gif  It will work great as a starter bike, and you won't get tired of it for a long time.  Much better than that CB900 above  laugh.gif  And if you're so inclined, you'll be able to wheelie it too.

I can never figure out how people get their bikes into a pickup.  I need a big old ramp and a trailer, lol!

Congrats on your purchase!!  You take the MSF class yet?

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2006, 12:23:00 PM »

QUOTE(Perplexer @ Apr 16 2006, 05:12 PM) View Post

Nice looking YZF600  biggrin.gif  It will work great as a starter bike, and you won't get tired of it for a long time.  Much better than that CB900 above  laugh.gif  And if you're so inclined, you'll be able to wheelie it too.

I can never figure out how people get their bikes into a pickup.  I need a big old ramp and a trailer, lol!

Congrats on your purchase!!  You take the MSF class yet?

No, two weeks on making myself legal to ride. It kind of sucks looking at it and not being able to ride. But then again, I do need to buy a helmet, jacket, insure the bike, register it, and replace the front tire.

As for getting it into a truck, the YZF is under 400 lbs. It's not THAT heavy and I have a few hefty friends. That being said, that Tacmoa isnt mine, it belongs to the guy I bought the bike from. Ive yet to load the YZF into my truck. It was ridden to my place.

And no wheelies. I have a friend missing half his face because he dropped a wheelie. Im all set with that......

Perplexer

• Recovered User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2006, 04:10:00 PM »

Yep, I agree with you there.  I got the front wheel on my Bandit about a foot off the ground just to see if she would do it... and then I put her right back down.  Some dude wanted to race me on the highway on my ride home from work last night at midnight...

Nah, I'm too old and cautious for all that noise.

mbood82

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2006, 04:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Apr 16 2006, 02:30 PM) View Post

And no wheelies. I have a friend missing half his face because he dropped a wheelie. Im all set with that......

This might improve your looks though.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(mbood82 @ Apr 17 2006, 12:03 AM) View Post

This might improve your looks though.

Go back to trolling on FC Matt. You annoy enough people there tongue.gif

xboxbox451

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2006, 07:53:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Apr 16 2006, 02:30 PM) View Post

And no wheelies. I have a friend missing half his face because he dropped a wheelie. I'm all set with that......

How the hell he manage that? No helmet? Well, at least no one died. I read an article about a local park where kids were doing wheelies, and one guy lost the bike. As it flew away from him it headed towards a little child and the mother was able to push the child out of the way but she took the full blow of the bike and died. That's something you don't want to live with.

I used to have a Katana 600. Very exhilarating when you find an empty stretch of road, hug the tank, throttle up, and wind through the gears. Just don't hit a pothole, that makes for a real bad day. Sports bikes make you do some stupid things.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4