xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Thinking About A Bike  (Read 415 times)

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« on: September 22, 2005, 08:37:00 PM »

OK, I know some of you may know Ive been fairly adamant against motorcycles. However I think Im having a change of heart. I love mountain biking and think this is probably just as safe. (Before anyone points out the speed difference let me point out that never have I seen anyone ride a motorcycle down a steep hill bouncing over rocks and dodging trees) Anyway, fun factor and gas mileage both seem worth it and bikes are far cheaper then i thought after looking into it a bit. Anyone have any thoughts?

Psykomantis00

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2005, 09:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rylinkus @ Sep 23 2005, 04:41 AM)
OK, I know some of you may know Ive been fairly adamant against motorcycles. However I think Im having a change of heart. I love mountain biking and think this is probably just as safe. (Before anyone points out the speed difference let me point out that never have I seen anyone ride a motorcycle down a steep hill bouncing over rocks and dodging trees) Anyway, fun factor and gas mileage both seem worth it and bikes are far cheaper then i thought after looking into it a bit. Anyone have any thoughts?

Your size and weight are factors into getting a bike (or so I was told) so always consider that. Are you wanting a new bike or a used bike? I would suggest (not that Im saying you dont know what your doing) getting a used bike to beat up on and see if you like riding it, if you do, upgrade and sell that one. Bikes are relatively cheap, I could get a custom painted 02 cbr, or cvr whatever it is from Honda for 4 grand and its low mileage like 4000 miles on it for 4 grand. What gets you tho is the insurance. And also another thing to ponder is whether you will be riding it alot, your location is a big factor in this. If your summers and fall's are relatively rainy then you would get low usage out of the bike because Im sure you arent retired so you would have to either ride the bike to work or drive it on weekends that you are lucky enough to have that arent raining. And forget about riding it in the snow. Im sure you already know this, but just consider the amount of time you will be riding it as a deciding factor on if you buy a bike brand new and how much you drop on the price.

Other than that, ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET!

Rustmonkey

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2005, 10:28:00 PM »

I second the helmet comment... if not for helmets, I wouldn't have nose... or a jaw for that matter... smile.gif  But yeah, best way to go is a used one with a mid sized engine... say somewhere aroud a 600-700 cc, but that all depends on if your getting a crotch rocket or a roadster or a chopper (yeah right) hehe...  anyways, do a little research and take it slow.

Laterz and good luck,
Rustmonkey

ClintiePoo

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 12:00:00 AM »

The Suzuki SV650S has really caught my attention.  I'm also looking at buying my first bike pretty soon.

ubernewb

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 12:36:00 AM »

ooh ooh.. what do i have to say to get banned?

wink.gif j/k

but seriously, if you want a cheap but decent starter bike.. i recommend looking into a used buel. very cool bikes, and you can pick up a used one for really cheap. kick that thing around till you're used to it, then pick up something like a 929rr or an r1.

Hercules Q Einstein

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 09:26:00 AM »

What kind are you looking for? A crotch rocket or a harley type?

Anyway a bike should be plenty safe as long as you resonsible with it (In other words dont get druck and speed 100+mph down a windy back road trying to outrun the cops).

the black box

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 02:22:00 PM »

I think we all know that Rylinkus needs to get the Suzuki Hayabusa GSX1300R :P

Gas mileage will definatley be better, and that's a good thing with gas prices today. You just gotta be careful, know what your doing and get the feel of the bike before you try to show off <_<

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »

Honestly we all know I have issues with speed. And so Im thinking something fast. Fast is a relative term of course and Ive yet to determine what that means.

As for riding, yeah, there's plenty of winter in Maine. But Im sure 6 months out of the year I could ride it, to and from work even. I'm not thinking new. Id like to think I can find something thats fun, in good shape, and doesn't look queer (Do people actually ride some of these friggin neon colored bikes?) for under 5Kish. Certainly seems doable after looking through some local classifieds. So Ive started putting some cash aside and I think mid winter Ill try to find a deal as we know off season sales always provide better deals smile.gif

And I WILL wear a helmet. I have a friend without half a face because he dumped his bike, the helmet broke, and he got serious road rash. He used some of the insurance money to buy a Hayabusa. And I also never drive drunk. Bad policy. I like my car and myself too much to risk hurting either of us over something stupid like that.

reZz

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 09:19:00 PM »

I was going to get a hella nice 2002 Honda CBR600 for about $6,000 CDN, until my mom said I'm not allowed to get a motorcycle license :(

Anyways, what you should definitely look into are dual-sport/dual-purpose bikes since you live in Maine. These are pretty much modified dirt bikes, and are street legal.

Something like this would be pwnage.

(IMG:http://www.dipolesolutions.com/chevelle/pics/other/realbike.jpg)

This post has been edited by reZz: Sep 24 2005, 04:20 AM

LightningStruckMyXbox

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 09:34:00 PM »

hmmm... maby a Ducati 999r would be good...   tongue.gif

I second the Buell bikes. They are cheap, easy to maintain, and go mild on the gas (depending on the model you get).

But you could always go 180+ and do a weelie in 3rd gear with a 999r. biggrin.gif

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 06:18:00 AM »

An excellent starter bike would have to be the Honda CBR series. Usually the 600cc engines work really well, cheaper price wise, and they have some decent power. If you really want a bigger engine, they have a (someone correct me if I'm wrong) a 950cc engine, and a racing model with I beleive a 1100cc engine. As for the color I know mine came in black with red stripes. But after riding a night a bit, I would recomend getting at least a semi lighter color, no ones sees me when I ride, despite the lights and such on the bike. The enduro is a good option if you live in a place where offroading might be a necessity, as they are bassically street legal dirt bikes, but dont expect a whole ton of speed out of them (they can get up there, but they dont hold a candle to a Hayabusa, CBR, or any of the crotch rocket bikes).

Others to consider:
Suzuki GSX
Buell

Good luck, and happy riding.

Perplexer

• Recovered User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2005, 10:25:00 PM »

Don't spend more than $1K on your first bike.  Get comfortable on it, then sell it (you'll get back what you paid; starter bikes are easy to re-sell).

As reZz mentioned, since you're into mountain biking, consider a dual-sport which rides well both on street and on trails.

Sign up for an MSF RiderCourse - you'll learn the basics and get a chance to test out a small bike (generally a 200-250cc bike like a Honda Nighthawk, Honda Rebel, Suzuki GZ250, and they may have a dual-sport like the Yamaha TTR250 available.)

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2005, 04:51:00 PM »

Yeah, I will be doing the MSF course. I'm thinking of steering clear of anything I can ride offroad. I think that will be more dangerous for me. Plus Im a bit more concerned with road ride quality.

I didnt think of the bike color thing. Definately happy that someone mentioned that.

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 01:04:00 PM »

I didnt think of the bike color thing. Definately happy that someone mentioned that

Very important. Although not the most glamorous looking, the brighter colors are a lot safer. Esspecially if you're just looking for a starter bike you wont hold onto for a real long time.

My dads Harley is this bright yellow (I beleive it was an older Dodge type color), as well as being loud, its bright, people deffinetly see me when I ride that.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
Thinking About A Bike
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 05:59:00 PM »

Anyone have any thoughts on something older like an 82 Honda Cb 900 Custom. Appears to be near the top of the line as far as Hondas went back in the day. Someone offered one in trade for my parts Probe. Im thinking it may not be a bad deal as Id be very apt to buy something a bit overpowered for a beginner type bike. Anyone, anyone? Bueller?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4