xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: You Car Guys Might Know How To Help Me  (Read 193 times)

New2modding

• Archived User
You Car Guys Might Know How To Help Me
« on: December 23, 2004, 01:16:00 AM »

Ok, well i thought i'd give you guys a shot to see if anyone possibly knows what could be going on with my car.  There has been a couple of times when i go to start it, and the engine doesn't start.  Instead it makes a...  i don't know what kind of sound.. I'm guessing maybe like the starting is trying to start the car but the engine won't turn over.   So i try again almost right away and it starts fine, and continued to start fine.. Then it happened again today.   But now, my car is running rough.  If i sit at a stop light, it kind of chugs like its about to stall..  Then when i press on the gas it somewhat hesitates, then goes.   Also when i'm driving and i press down on the gas, it starts hesitating and chugging until i press the gas pedal a fair ways further down that what i should need to.   I really don't know anything about cars, and i really don't want to pay a mechanic $100 just to see what the problem is.  If anyone has an idea at what it is, i'd be a pretty happy guy... depending on what the problem could be..    

Oh yeah, i'm going to change the spark plugs tomorrow to see if it makes any difference.

Rylinkus

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 02:03:00 PM »

Could be a fueling problem. Maybe a filter or plugged line or even a pump. Anything spark related. Distributor. Plugs. Wires. Maybe your timing is off. It's really hard to guess.

Most garages will give you an estimate for free. That also gets you a free diagnosis since they need to know whats wrong to tell you what it's gonna cost to fix. I'd call a few garages and see if any can give you a free estimate to fix your cars problems rather then throwing parts at an unknown problem.

New2modding

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 08:57:00 PM »

Thanks for the info.  I have yet to find any mechanic that doesn't charge for a diagnostic.  Its like they use it to make more money off us.   Anyways i like the sounds of most of what your prognosis is.  I mean, i thought it would be soemthing serious like a head gasket problem or soemthing....lol  Thanks again.

arowana1027

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 06:57:00 PM »

What kinda car is it?Year, miles etc.The starter problem could be just that, your starter about to go.If it is a later model car with a lot of electronic crap on it, it could be your MAP,TPS,emissions controls etc.Buy a haynes or chiltons repair manual and learn how to diagnos some of these problems yourself.usually all that is required is a multimeter,something you probably already have.The manuals will usually tell you how to "pop" the codes with a jumper wire(paper clip works good) and count how many times your "check engine" light flashes.Be carefull doing this though as "jumping" the wrong way can cause worse problems.But, as posted above it could be something as simple as fuel or fire.Do a tuneup yourself,change the plugs,wires,fuel filter, and airfilter.Set timing and idle if needed(another possible cause for your woes.)Good luck, dude.

yaazz

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 06:26:00 AM »

Could be a timing belt, but your best bet is to make freinds with a mechanic and get him to waive the fee

EDIT: Try plugging your car in at night, it gets freakin cold now

This post has been edited by yaazz: Dec 25 2004, 02:27 PM