xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Instrument Panel Light Gone Out  (Read 193 times)

Shoue

• Archived User
Instrument Panel Light Gone Out
« on: December 19, 2004, 09:04:00 PM »

hey guys..  i have a '99 Buick Century.  The Instrument panel light went out so the odometer, gearshift indicator are both unreadable, also the fuel indicator is always on full, so I have no idea how much fuel i have at all.  I went to Buick and they said they weren't allowed to tamper with any thing involving the odometer so they said they had to replace the entire dashboard for like.. $800 dollars.  So you know.. 800 freakin bucks to fix a light,  how about not.. any suggesstions?

Mr. Chips

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 12:29:00 AM »

i'd check the fusebox first off.  Usually all the lights don't go out at once.
Isn't the buick century an all-digital instrument panel?

if they're fine then I'd run a computer diagnostic.

Shoue

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 06:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mr. Chips @ Dec 20 2004, 09:01 AM)
i'd check the fusebox first off.  Usually all the lights don't go out at once.
Isn't the buick century an all-digital instrument panel?

if they're fine then I'd run a computer diagnostic.

ya i think it is an all-digital instrument panel, I mean I just listened to what my dad said but I will be able to drive it when I get my license which is in a couple of weeks.  I don't think he knew what he was talking about.  Does it being all-digital.. help me out at all? I read.. that I would have to replace the entire unit since it is digital.. is that true? I am sorry.. I don't know much about cars just yet.

Mr. Chips

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 11:56:00 PM »

I confused your car with the Mercury Grande Marquis.  Anyways, your dash is not digital.  
I recommend you find a local reputable technician who has access to a computer dignostic reading tool.  It will determine what the problem is and will definately save you money in the long run.  There is no way you should have to replace the entire dashboard.
It may even be as simple as a loose connector.  Check online to see what parts are known to be problematic with this vehicle.
good luck