xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Some Car Audio Questions  (Read 200 times)

sonic834

• Archived User
Some Car Audio Questions
« on: December 16, 2004, 09:47:00 PM »

hey guys. I just got a new truck, and wanted to upgrade the whole audio setup. My previous truck had everything already installed, and I knew a good deal about it, but there are some things I need to know now:

1.I've always known that generic brand nameless speakers are crap usually, but what about amps? The quality just isn't the same with most generic stuff, but if I buy an amp from a brand like Lightning or one of those generic ones off ebay, will it degrade the quality of my subs/speakers?
2.Will the preamp in my head unit be powerful enough for my door speakers? I listen to heavy music, and I like it loud, but not deafening. Will 25 watts RMS to each speaker be good enough?
3.What do you recommend wattage wise for subs? I listen to rock mostly, a lot of metal. No rap, just rock and others. How many watts and what size subs do you think would be good?

Thanks!!!

brandogg

• Archived User
Some Car Audio Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 09:52:00 PM »

25 wattsx4 will do the job, but I'd reccommend at least 40x4. Most factory stereoes I've seen are 10-15 wattsx4. I wouldn't ever go with no-name speakers or amps. I bought some no name subs from JC Witney a while back and they sucked. And if you just listen to rock, you probably don't need any subs, but it does make bass-drums sound a hell of a lot better. In a truck I'd reccomment about 150 watts max if that's all your using it for.

SupraKid

• Archived User
Some Car Audio Questions
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 03:17:00 PM »

When it comes to audio you get what you pay for.... I advice you go to your local audio shops and ask them these questions and tell them how much money you have to work with. I attend audio shows frequently as I am sponsored and its night and day difference between a cheap system and a good system.

For the money I would recommend going with 1 or 2 kicker 10" subs, even 8"s, with a 400+ watt RMS kicker amp...its cheap and sounds decent for the money.

drink or die

• Archived User
Some Car Audio Questions
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 06:02:00 PM »

my profession used to be this subject, so I know all about it. In my opinion, the best, well known components are as follows, from my experiences with personal equipment, and the stories I hear from customers:

Head units: Pioneer. Hands down, I will never buy any head unit other than pioneer. the radio tuner is far better than other brands, the actual RMS power is usually higher than other brands because of the MOSFET power supply(Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor- switches faster than other power supplies, thus creating more power with less heat), And the user interface is generally much easier to get used to than other brands.

Amplifiers. I am torn here. For high power systems, I prefer JBL amps. they overheat less than other amps, and they are rated at their actual wattage, not theoretical wattage like other brands do. Plus the power is clean and consistent.
For lesser powered systems, I have have had a lot of success with Kenwood amps. these will probably be the amps for you to use. Keep an eye on their RMS wattage, and pick subs up for them accordingly. for rock music, a good single 12" should do the trick. Also, see if the amp is one channel or two, and see if the channels are bridge-able for use with one sub. Another thing to look for is the resistance the sub is capable of. Usually, with lesser powered two- channel amps, they are capable of 4 ohms when bridged, or 2 ohms when the channels are used separately. if you are using a 2 ohm resistance when bridged, you will eventually kill your amp. Lighning audio sucks. those amps don't look bad, but they are built badly. I have found with cheap amps like profile, jensen, or lighning audio, those amps die after a year or so, cause the capacitors leak, which is never good

Subs. The brands that you can't go wrong with are pioneer, pioneer premier, MTX, eclipse, pheonix gold, infinity, and some others that slip my mind at the moment. Make sure the wattage either matches the RMS power output of your amp, or can handle up to 50% more power than the RMS of the Amp. In your case, I'd recommend a single 12" sub, mated to a bridged 2 channel amp in 4 ohms. by getting a 2 channel amp, you open up your options for upgrading later for less money.

by getting subs and an amp to push the bass, then you alleviate a lot of power consumption from the deck. you can usually turn down the bass to the regular speakers, and only push midrange and treble with them. by doing that, you can turn up the volume a lot louder. if they start to destort, turn down the volume. even if the speakers were capable of say 150 watts rms each, but you deck only pushes 25 watts, and the speaker start to destort(clipping), you can kill your speakers. Contrary to what a lot of people think, it's not a lot of power that kills speakers, it's heat. Heat builds up when speakers can't move along the full sine wave, and distort.

One last thing- don't cheap out with small cables for your amplified system. you are only robbing yourself if the wires are the bottleneck for the power.

SupraKid

• Archived User
Some Car Audio Questions
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2004, 08:49:00 AM »

I am kind of surprised you chose Pioneer as the headunit you think is best, or are you talking for his budget level? Were you ever MECP certified?

brandogg

• Archived User
Some Car Audio Questions
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2004, 08:59:00 PM »

Not to get in a fight, but I've owned Pionner subs in the past and they blow faster than Monica Lewinsky at a Democratic Convention. They were Pioneer IMPP subs...this was about 6 years ago though, they're probably better now.

Longhornd00d

• Archived User
Some Car Audio Questions
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 02:11:00 AM »

I say Alpine or JVC head unit.  MTX, SEXXX, Brahma, or Rockford Fosgate for Subs, or JL if you have money to blow. Avionixx, Orion, RockFord, or JBL for amps.

Sizes, power, etc. all depends on how much room you have to work with in your truck, which you didn't include to say.

drink or die

• Archived User
Some Car Audio Questions
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2004, 09:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(SupraKid @ Dec 19 2004, 04:49 PM)
I am kind of surprised you chose Pioneer as the headunit you think is best, or are you talking for his budget level? Were you ever MECP certified?

as far as headunits go, I'm talking about the type of price range 95% of people fall into. I had a pioneer deck that I LOVED, but "upgraded" to a $2500 clarion touch screen dvd deck. Even after buying a deck that cost me 10 times more than the pioneer, I plan on going back to pioneer when I'm done with my current deck. and yes, I am MECP certified, been so for years. I could take a picture of my documentation if you feel it is really necessary

SupraKid

• Archived User
Some Car Audio Questions
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2004, 10:41:00 AM »

I am not doubting you one bit, but I havent heard anyone say anything good about pioneer lately :P I personally prefer Eclipse headunits, mainly for sound quality, you cant beat it. But I am sure the Pioneer isnt too bad of a headunit, for the price. ;)

QUOTE(drink or die @ Dec 24 2004, 05:02 AM)
as far as headunits go, I'm talking about the type of price range 95% of people fall into. I had a pioneer deck that I LOVED, but "upgraded" to a $2500 clarion touch screen dvd deck. Even after buying a deck that cost me 10 times more than the pioneer, I plan on going back to pioneer when I'm done with my current deck. and yes, I am MECP certified, been so for years. I could take a picture of my documentation if you feel it is really necessary