xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30

Author Topic: The Dynamic Skins For All Xport Emus  (Read 9824 times)

Mega Man (?)

• Archived User
The Dynamic Skins For All Xport Emus
« Reply #420 on: November 01, 2009, 09:50:00 PM »

I think the main point is those are some damn good pics Ex007... smile.gif

And ex007 can offer some awesome unique pics!
The master system one looks perfect as is...

It would be tremendous if you could get a great collection of custom HQ images of all the systems for Gilles to work with!
Nice man...

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #421 on: November 02, 2009, 06:57:00 AM »

Hear Hear!

I know for a fact how polished his skins are to this point since anytime he made changes and stuff I was going through with changes I had made too with a program called foldermatch and got the naming conventions for everything including all the sprites to be identical across the board.

Truth be told, with this setup on his skins now, it would be possible to have only one configuration for every XBox emu when his skins are done.  I know madmab has no interest in coding that, and it's really not practical when different users will be using different skins, especially since 99% of any type of skin that comes out will not have coverage across the entire spectrum like Gilles is close to doing.

What I've seen otherwise, is most people who are venturing into Dynamic Skins at this point are really making skins that are more accurately called "Dual Preview" skins.  

Even to artsists who decided they don't like the PMIII artwork, and I do admit that it took a while to grow on me since I used to have the XBox 360 skin on my box before, I would urge them to really take a look at the files and file system in his skins and play around with the skin configurations and see just how great it works.  

For example... I LOVE likklebears skins in the other thread, but I'm really disappointed that I'll never be able to play around with all the combination of images and all of the other cool things that having it set up like Gilles has allows for.  

I'll have to try to take a video and upload it somehow, but you guys really have to see what I did to his SNES skin on the game select screen using Franks spinning dragon.  Now the little Madmab dragon just kind of floats back and forth while spinning across the NINTENDO banner in the bottom right corner which was wasted space since the SNES artwork is wider than it is tall.  I toned down the transparancy too, so it kinda looks like a green Big Boo haunting the screen.  

And that's the greatest part about TRUE dynamic skins here guys.  When Gilles is done, all it takes is somebody with a little artistic talent to build off of them and change tiny aspects and make nearly identical skins their own unique skins.  (Edit: whoops... that made no cents  happy.gif )

I'd even go so far as to say you could basically just take the directory structiure of Gilles' skins and replace his background images and some of his sprites and have a dynamic skin of your own in much less time than it took to concieve them and bring them all up to code today.  That's exactly what I did for him on the remaining 12 or so skins.  I just put black images as placeholders in all the places he'd need to do artwork so when he finishes the 8-10 or so images that differentiate a skin he could just drop them in there and he'd be done.

Try it out cbagy... Take some of your images and put them in place of Gilles' stuff and see what you can come up with.  After putting Frank's spinning dragon in there and then having a reason to find out how to control animation was a very fulfilling experience for me.  I'd like to see what you and Frank and others come up with when you've become as accoustomed to all the old and improved abilities the XPORT emus have come to give us when it comes to pimping out the dash.

Later,
~Rx

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #422 on: November 03, 2009, 01:56:00 PM »

There were actually quite a few things that needed to by synchronized before the skins would truly work with the same ini file.  It's not just a process that automatically works.  For instance, if you do have a lot of sprites in a skin like Gilles does, and you don't have the exact same sprite type in the exact same folder on another skin, then you'll start seeing things pop up in the wrong places and sizes on another skin if you were to load from the same configuration.  The more sloppy and out of order your sprite images are from skin to skin, the more stuff is going to be out of place on the GUI.

This was a process that probably took a month of going back and forth before we perfected it.  It was actually quite huge to pull off.  This is why recently I made the 12 blank skins for Gilles to dump artwork in.  Occasionally when he'd make a new skin, the images would be slightly out of order or with a different name than the previously established standards.  I figured instead of having to edit them and send them back in the future, I'd just set every one up perfectly with the other ones so he could just make the artwork and dump them in.

Also, there is the deal of the professionalism that went into these skins that you can see when editing the sprite settings.  First, everything is capitalized and there are zero typos, which you can see very easily in the end.  Also, all sprites have been categorized into type, there has been room left in each category to have more images put in for that category without putting things out of order or having to go through the massive effort of renaming a ton of folders in every emu to make them match and keep them organized, and then in turn redoing the sprites configs since the folders are in a different order now.  It would be important in the future to do something like this too a Dynamic Skin keep things easily syncable as the skin evolves.  Skipping numbers to leave blank placholders in between categories is the solution for current and future problems that may pop up if the skinning function were to evolve further someday.

We had madmab add the feature to skip number placeholders that were empty to make this practical.  Before, if you skipped numbers there would be a lot of blank spots while you were scrolling through the folders, making this pointless.

I wasn't saying anything about style man.  I was just suggesting you to check under the hood of a 100% professional job all the way around.  Given Gilles blessing, I would not see any problem with borrowing those folders either, since I pretty much was the one that put that part together.  They're already set up pretty much perfect for any setup.  You could add or remove folders as you use placeholders and even rename them to suit your own personal presentation.  The whole point is, that you could have all of these folders empty from the start as you create a new skin and it would help keep the images in the proper order for you between all of the emus you're building one for.   You could easily move the images you currently use into the folders right now and test it out for yourself.  This is basically a feature that has been created for the skin that you just have to put the effort of working with to see the rewards.  If Gilles is cool with it, I think I'll package up a generic skin setup which is completely empty with all of our folder names in it and put it up on the front page with some instructions on how to use them.  

Gilles is the creator and has the artistic genius.  I went in and turned his skin into a sleek high performance vehicle under that hood.  The reason somebody probably wouldn't really notice or appreciate how the sprite system is in Gilles' skin is because it works so good.  

When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #423 on: November 04, 2009, 06:42:00 AM »

Haha... see.  You're already using a feature that was just updated in the new skins that you might not have even known was put in there recently.  Try one of your skins on an emulator that's not a beta and see how well the folder number skipping works out for ya.

madmab

• Archived User
« Reply #424 on: November 15, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »

How is that stuff I added working out for you gilles?  Did it do the trick?

gilles9999

• Archived User
« Reply #425 on: November 15, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »

i have pm ed you yesterday, strange you didn't received it?
yeah thanks madmab it to the trick, now i can add all my rumbles for a lot of genesis games:
the street of rage series, golden axe series, the sonics, strider, shinobi's etc... will now have rumbles!!
i'm working onto adding a lot of rumbles

lucky the future users of the next neogenesis: they will have all the dual stuff support, HQ boxarts, HQ videos from cba.gy (your vids are really great cba.gy, i now use them) synopsis for all their games, rumbles for a lot of games, etc... rolleyes.gif

and for mekax and xboyadvance (systems where the boxarts have a different size than the cart) i will look at it next week wink.gif

cbagy

• Archived User
« Reply #426 on: November 15, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »

Havent had much time lately for video's (2 deaths in family in 2 weeks) but i am plodding still, @ 30 % done. Pace will pick up as i settle down again. Great to hear about rumbles. Didnt know you were working on those, thats brilliant. Should be a very comprehensive pack when finished. End users never had it so good.

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #427 on: November 15, 2009, 04:13:00 PM »

Man... I'm falling way behind on the new emu/skin testing.   I still have to integrate all your new changes for Atari 7800 too.  

I've got about 4 or 5 new betas from Madmab that need to be tested as well.

I got extremely wrapped up in upgrading boxart for about 5 different systems using what I had from TCP and the HypereSpin stuff.  I've also probably spent at least 6 hours this weekend touching up Atari 2600 and NES boxart that didn't have high quality polished images available.  

Oh... and I wrapped up the NeoGeo Pocket testing/artwork/synopsis this weekend too.  You can check out the NGPC synopsis in the hot potato thread now.

Keep em coming Gilles.  Don't slow down on account of me.   I hope to get the testing for anything you and Madmab have done this weekend.  (Wednesday is the start of my weekends).

Well... did a great job this weekend.  Now it's time for me to go back to work.    grr.gif

Mega Man (?)

• Archived User

illtww

• Archived User
« Reply #429 on: November 24, 2009, 12:07:00 AM »

OK guys...

I am having a problem getting the SNES and SMS DYNAMIC skins working.
I have followed the readme and I have renamed the 4-3  bigbox etc.ini to Settings.ini.

No love.

I am running mekkav2 and snes9xv1 from xbins.
(these versions do not have an option to select the prefered skin.ini from the hd..)
**** do I not have the correct versions of these emus????? *******

NOTE:
All rom sets were filtered with the Resextras .dat files
My madmab v12b is running great.
I selected the one .ini that i wanted and put the artwork/preview files in the directory where the needed to be.

(Resxtras is the BOMB!!)

HELP!? unsure.gif

tristanx

• Archived User
« Reply #430 on: December 08, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »

any chance of getting the psd of the dynamic skin? may want to mmake my own

ressurectionx

• Archived User
« Reply #431 on: December 09, 2009, 07:26:00 AM »

I think that Gilles was talking about releasing the PSD's after he'd completed the entire colleciton of XPORT PM3 Dynamic Skins.  I could be wrong about that though.  

I know Excalibur is putting together a collection of awesome shots of systems he personally has, so I think this could be an opportunity to have multiple variations on these skins.  

Hey Gilles...... Maybe you'd like to see a specific system look a certain way?  I bet if you asked Ex to display it the way you wanted it for the skin he would be happy to do it for you.

Later,
~Rx

tristanx

• Archived User
« Reply #432 on: December 09, 2009, 04:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(cbagy @ Dec 9 2009, 04:26 AM) View Post

Probably not. lol. Wouldn't using the PSD mean modding the original ?
Just make your own mate, these emu's are straight forward.

need not worry... i always give credit to the one who made the original. when allxboxskins.com was around i made a neogenesis skin that was very popular and kept j-reds name on the start page all i did was revision his work.

i would upload my skins somewhere but do not have a place to but them.

Mega Man (?)

• Archived User
« Reply #433 on: December 11, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »

i would upload my skins somewhere but do not have a place to but them.

hmm.. what do you mean...? huh.gif
You could use an upload site like "megaupload.com" and just make your own thread to host them.
smile.gif

tristanx

• Archived User
« Reply #434 on: December 13, 2009, 01:50:00 PM »

QUOTE(Mega Man (?) @ Dec 11 2009, 06:38 PM) View Post

hmm.. what do you mean...? huh.gif
You could use an upload site like "megaupload.com" and just make your own thread to host them.
smile.gif

I'm also lazy...
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30